Sound proofing effect of trees, is it effective?

golden_eagle

I was walking pass the Jalan Arif between Hougang Ave 2. 

There is a huge barrier of trees but I didn't hear a lot of reduction of road noise from Ave 2. I am quite surprised by that. 

What is the purpose of these trees with dense forliage there? It blocks wind as a unwanted side effect. 

↡ Advertisement

There is a huge barrier of trees but I didn't hear a lot of reduction of road noise from Ave 2. I am quite surprised by that.

What is the purpose of these trees with dense forliage thereï¼ It blocks wind as a unwanted side effect.

So is it the wind blockage thats bothering you or is the noise bothering u?? If its the noise that is bothering you, would you rather they install a sound barrier and totally block off the wind? At least the trees allows some to pass through..

So is it the wind blockage thats bothering you or is the noise bothering u?? If its the noise that is bothering you, would you rather they install a sound barrier and totally block off the wind? At least the trees allows some to pass through..

It's neither that bothers me because I don't live there. 

I am trying to understand whether there is proof that trees can block noise. I used to believe that theory, maybe I was not right. 

It's neither that bothers me because I don't live there.

I am trying to understand whether there is proof that trees can block noise. I used to believe that theory, maybe I was not right.

Any barrier will attenuate noise. Just a matter of how much. It also depends on the noise source on which direction it is emitting..
  • Praise 4

my parents block is directly facing an expressway, used to be very noisy especially at night. gradually as the row of trees between the block and expressway grew taller, the sound became more muffled and got better imo. sad that i dont get a full view of the expressway anymore though...

of course the above is just my personal observation, no noisemeter readings to prove

my parents block is directly facing an expressway, used to be very noisy especially at night. gradually as the row of trees between the block and expressway grew taller, the sound became more muffled and got better imo. sad that i dont get a full view of the expressway anymore though...

of course the above is just my personal observation, no noisemeter readings to prove

• Praise 1

you are growing older, hearing loss 

haha i dont deny! wife always complains about my hearing loss... but then its only my wife who complains  :XD:

What is the purpose of these trees with dense forliage there? It blocks wind as a unwanted side effect.

Eh.. That is not many trees how.. So little how to block the sounds? Haha

haha i dont deny! wife always complains about my hearing loss... but then its only my wife who complains  :XD:

kdash is too young to have hearing loss lo.  [:p]  Anyway, trees indeed help a bit to block out some noise esp for people staying in low floor, although doesnt really help much esp for people staying in higher floor. Lol.

kdash is too young to have hearing loss lo. [:p] Anyway, trees indeed help a bit to block out some noise esp for people staying in low floor, although doesnt really help much esp for people staying in higher floor. Lol.

haha thanks but sometimes hearing loss depends on other factors too, like long exposure to loud noises.

anyway those that stay near busy roads or expressways would have gotten used to the noise.