Diesel Car Misfiring?

Sunset73

Hi all,

This morning had a shock while I was hitching 2 riders to work. Just entered KJE @ speed 80km/hr and the car suddenly judder + engine check light came on. The vibration continued for about 5 min and went off. However, engine check light still on. Brought to workshop and was informed that there was a misfiring logged. The workshop mechanic drove around but there was no issue. No significant loss of power or weird juddering.

Driving a Mazda CX-3 1.5 diesel and on my 4th tank of Cnergy diesel (Toh Tuck).

Previous 3 tanks also no issue. I also saw other diesel cars (Carens, Fluence, Scenic, Mokka) filling up at Cnergy.

I thought diesel cars won't misfire? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

Diesels don't as a rule of misfire. They either go or stop completely, that was until they introduced all this computerised electronic injection systems.
If a Diesel has a permanent misfire it is usually injector trouble or it has a compression off on one cylinder.

Cut and paste answer.

• Praise 3

Hi all,

This morning had a shock while I was hitching 2 riders to work. Just entered KJE @ speed 80km/hr and the car suddenly judder + engine check light came on. The vibration continued for about 5 min and went off. However, engine check light still on. Brought to workshop and was informed that there was a misfiring logged. The workshop mechanic drove around but there was no issue. No significant loss of power or weird juddering.

Previous 3 tanks also no issue. I also saw other diesel cars (Carens, Fluence, Scenic, Mokka) filling up at Cnergy.

Thanks

whats the mileage?

throw some injection cleaner.

also try using caltex diesel to see if you feel any difference.

• Praise 1

whats the mileage?

throw some injection cleaner.

also try using caltex diesel to see if you feel any difference.

Mileage now is 19100km. After I left the workshop just now, i pumped full tank SPC and threw in STP fuel injector cleaner.

Monitoring now to see if the issue comes back. 

Have't tried caltex before though.

Mileage now is 19100km. After I left the workshop just now, i pumped full tank SPC and threw in STP fuel injector cleaner.

SPC is the shittiest diesel that i have ever used from the main stream petrol stations! go dig up my old post on SPC vs Caltex diesel.

Hi all,

Thanks

Coul be your Diesel particle filter choke. Try to do some highway and at least 70km/hr for 15mins. Edited by Maddriver
  • Praise 1

Coul be your Diesel particle filter choke. Try to do some highway and at least 70km/hr for 15mins.

Thanks. I'll try it later. But I always do a lot of highway driving...

Plus I just checked the mazda website.. seems like cx-3 1.5 diesel is Euro 6 and not Euro 5.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the misfiring?

I doubt Cnergy complies to Euro 6. The major petrol stations here should?

I also don't know.

One possible cause could be air bubbles that get into the fuel system, I think.

Maybe change out your fuel filter and see what happens.

Just replace your fuel filter to inspect the interior, compare with a new pc. If extremely dirty and clogged, you know where is the source for your problem. Could be restricted flow of diesel.

Is Cnergy Diesel same price like what is in Shell/SPC or others 

So far I'm using SPC diesel ... so far for over 15 years .... old van (Fiat) once in a while it acts up;  Usually at 1st or 2nd gear and shows some kind of engine image and refer to Service Centre ; i just stop the vehicle on roadside ; switch it off and restart and is well again, Happens like once or twice a year; In fact I need to even once close the doors; lock them and then only it will restart.... anyway 1 more year to live with it    

Hi all,

Thanks

• Praise 2

Don't put in Petrol Injector Cleaner..

• Praise 1

The possibility I can think of is water in the diesel. Water present in diesel fuel is common it's just a matter of how much. Water cannot be compressed, so when it enters the fuel injectors the engine will try to combust water that entered its system. Of course it will fail to combust hence what you experience lor. Juddering , momentarily lost of power, warning light etc.

If I were you I won't even try using diesel from other oil cartels other dan the main ones. I believe the supplier of your diesel fuel has to do with what you had experienced. I could be wrong but I would prefer to use Cow tax's diesel. Other unknown diesel suppliers could be selling you water + diesel coz the two mix well together. Cheap diesel has a price to pay. If you spoil your engine. Good luck.

PS:Nothing to do with what euro6 or euro5. Those are just emissions standards. What comes out of the exhaust.

Here's a good read...

http://www.mycleandiesel.com/pages/ProblemWater.aspx

You on your 4th tank? You pray hard the water doesn't stay in your fuel tank.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

I would strongly advise against using diesel from other suppliers other dan Caltex, Esso and Shell. If you use cheap diesel the damage done to your diesel engine will be easily identified. Dealer will no doubt void your engine warranty and you will have to pay the repairs out of your own pocket.

The possibility I can think of is water in the diesel. Water present in diesel fuel is common it's just a matter of how much. Water cannot be compressed, so when it enters the fuel injectors the engine will try to combust water that entered its system. Of course it will fail to combust hence what you experience lor. Juddering , momentarily lost of power, warning light etc.

If I were you I won't even try using diesel from other oil cartels other dan the main ones. I believe the supplier of your diesel fuel has to do with what you had experienced. I could be wrong but I would prefer to use Cow tax's diesel. Other unknown diesel suppliers could be selling you water + diesel coz the two mix well together. Cheap diesel has a price to pay. If you spoil your engine. Good luck.

PS:Nothing to do with what euro6 or euro5. Those are just emissions standards. What comes out of the exhaust.

Here's a good read...

i understand very word you wrote about water in diesel!

if will damage the hi pressure pump and injectors especially those HPCR system...

i have very good diesel filter! but only for off road vehicle ...

would you be interested when the filter for on road is ready?

Er ..... STP Fuel Injector.  You confirmed it is for Diesel ?

Most STP F I, I saw is for Petrol Engine leh ??

Most likely not water lor, as my Carens even got a water trap.  The water warning light will light up and probably not the Engine Check light lor ..... So far no warning light yet at 5300km ......

The CX3 should have something similar ba ......

Here's a good read...

Is Cnergy Diesel same price like what is in Shell/SPC or others 

So far I'm using SPC diesel ... so far for over 15 years .... old van (Fiat) once in a while it acts up;  Usually at 1st or 2nd gear and shows some kind of engine image and refer to Service Centre ; i just stop the vehicle on roadside ; switch it off and restart and is well again, Happens like once or twice a year; In fact I need to even once close the doors; lock them and then only it will restart.... anyway 1 more year to live with it    

Currently Cnergy retailing diesel (claimed Euro 5) at $0.99/litre.

Don't put in Petrol Injector Cleaner..

No lah bro. It's diesel fuel injector cleaner. Bought from SPC. Blue bottle.

Here's a good read...

I suspect that's the case. I check the suitability of the diesel for my car by: seeing other diesel cars pump there, as well as those hiace minibus  [laugh]

What you are saying now is making me worried, seriously. 

Currently Cnergy retailing diesel (claimed Euro 5) at $0.99/litre.

No lah bro. It's diesel fuel injector cleaner. Bought from SPC. Blue bottle.

I suspect that's the case. I check the suitability of the diesel for my car by: seeing other diesel cars pump there, as well as those hiace minibus  [laugh]

What you are saying now is making me worried, seriously. 

run 1-2 tanks of caltex diesel. you will for sure feel the diff.

Most likely not water lor, as my Carens even got a water trap.  The water warning light will light up and probably not the Engine Check light lor ..... So far no warning light yet at 5300km ......

The CX3 should have something similar ba ......

I am not sure.. But there is no other light other than engine check light.

You driving a diesel Carens?

run 1-2 tanks of caltex diesel. you will for sure feel the diff.

So you advise against SPC? I just pumped full yesterday  :wacko:

↡ Advertisement