PSA: Five taken to hospital after drinking durian coffee mix

Ender

Post here for more awareness. Saw this durian coffee being mentioned around, best is not try it if you come across it.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/durian-coffee-mix-malaysia-penang-hospital-9912342

GEORGETOWN: Five people were admitted to a Penang hospital after drinking a type of instant durian coffee, said Malaysian health minister S Subramaniam on Wednesday (Jan 31).

The minister told reporters that the beverage was being promoted as "Durian White Coffee", and that samples of the mixture have been sent for analysis.

“If it is found that the coffee mixture contains prohibited items, we will announce the brand name and its manufacturer will be ordered to withdraw the product from the market," he said.

According to the Penang Health Department, the five people were brought in to Hospital Pulau Pinang between Jan 27 and Jan 30. Three have been discharged and two are still receiving treatment. Since then, no new cases have been reported nor deaths or any major complications.

Hospital director Dr Wan Mansor Hamzah Wan Mansor advised those experiencing the same symptoms to immediately seek treatment at the nearest hospital.

Meanwhile, health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdulah said the health ministry learnt about the incident after it went viral on social media.

In a Facebook post, he added that the Penang Health Department was probing the matter and advised the public to maintain hygiene and safety standards when consuming food and drink.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I have been drinking coffee with my coffee. I like the bitter taste of coffee goes well with the sweetness of the durian.

Liew lian, kopi, cigarette. Steam ah....

Twincharged

at least they had a chance to go hospital ....

my ex-colleague had durians and liquor the night before and didn't make it to work the next day .... period.

ho sey liao......found another ulian coffee kaki! Penang got the Durian (mao shan wan) white coffee ......very nice. I tried getting in jb....they oni have Durian XO white coffee......not so nice and the smell is not as sweet as the mao shan wan....

Can't praise you bro...

Twincharged

i took some flu med before eating durian......i woke up a few hrs later with the world spinning. I had to crawl on all 4 to the toilet and make myself vomit......i swear never to take medicine (think it was the antibiotics) and durian together!

i simply stopped eating durians when i enlisted.

i can but i just don't want to anymore ... was eating it since i was a small boy at my grandfather's plantation ... free some more..

i simply stopped eating durians when i enlisted.

i can but i just don't want to anymore ... was eating it since i was a small boy at my grandfather's plantation ... free some more..

i am the opposite.....i love durian more as i age....
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Singapore recall liao as precaution. I remember seeing in our local supermarket, almost wanted to try. Wait for AVA result first.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/drugs-found-in-malaysias-durian-white-coffee-sachets-ava-checking-with-counterparts

Samples of the instant coffee mixture, identified in some local media reports as Mycafe Penang Durian White Coffee, were detected with a substance believed to be drugs.

wl_plastic_030218.jpg

AVA recalls Malaysia's durian white coffee following reports of 'drugs' found in sachets

Singapore's food authority has recalled a brand of durian white coffee from Malaysia, following reports of consumers falling ill after consuming the beverage.

The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) said in a statement on Saturday night (Feb 3) that it is recalling Coffee Tree MyCafe 4-in-1 Penang Durian White Coffee as a precautionary measure, while the case is under investigation.

Consumers who have purchased the product can return them to the retailer, said the AVA, adding that it will be taking samples for food safety tests.

Samples of the instant coffee mixture were detected with a substance believed to be drugs, Malaysian police said earlier.

George Town police chief Anuar Omar told The Star in a report on Friday (Feb 2) that samples were taken to the state food safety and quality laboratory for tests after a medical officer lodged a police report following the incident.

"The samples were also sent to the Chemistry Department for analysis," he said in a statement on Friday.

ACP Anuar said an officer later confirmed that a substance, believed to be drugs, was found in the sachets.

The exact type of drug, however, has not been identified.

The findings come after Malaysian media reported that five patients received treatment at Penang Hospital between Jan 27 and Jan 30 after drinking the coffee.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2