All about kueh lapis

Jman888

Lavender bakery in JB. Best!!

Atas looking and taste: Royal Istana.

Agree on Lavender. Their raisin pandan lapis is one of the best, can't find anything like it in SG!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

This thread come very timely. I just got mine from Lavender at JB. As with @jman888, we used to buy from Indonesia (through friends and relatives), but ever since we tried Lavender (about 5 - 6 years ago), the rest is history.

Relatively cheap and very good. Neither too sweet nor oily. As long as you keep it in fridge (cooling compartment will do), it can last for about a month.

jzijw5.jpg

2mdnwhh.jpg

Pricing for this year:

Plain => RM83 / ~S$28.0 (900g)   RM46 / ~S$15.5 (400g)

Prune => RM88 / ~S$29.7 (900g)   RM48 / ~S$16.2 (400g)

Cranberry => RM88 / ~S$29.7 (900g)   RM48 / ~S$16.2 (400g)

Do check out their website for more details and location. https://www.lavender.com.my/

Lavender bakery in JB. Best!!

Agree on Lavender. Their raisin pandan lapis is one of the best, can't find anything like it in SG!

I second that! Even Seasons loose out to them (The chief and most of the pioneer were from Seasons previous)

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 8

i never thought of kueh lapis at Lavender, will get one to try in my next trip before CNY.

Not sure if i remember correctly, but seems like Lavender have a stall in the Taka event hall ( B2 ) ? 

• Praise 2

Not sure if i remember correctly, but seems like Lavender have a stall in the Taka event hall ( B2 ) ? 

very likely cos they also come in to promote their mooncake.

i used to get fm Batam years ago too. Then similiarly switched to Lavander. Before Batam, I would get fm Jakarta but it was like Rp600k/cake (home made)

my favourite seller in Batam at that time was "Baby2", pronounced as "baby baby). I usually get the plain butter ones. La-moist was inferiror, even in those days

• Praise 1

Home made is a misused term. I see all proclaim home made, but all selling like production line from factory.

Home made is probably illegal also since home is governed by living quarters act and cannot sell commercially due boh licence. [:p]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

post-54584-0-10595000-1517719294_thumb.jpg

post-54584-0-31763800-1517719314_thumb.jpg

Made some yesterday. Made some with thicker layers and some with thinner layers cuz some of my friends claim that thicker layers will make the cake softer. Didn't seem to make any difference to me.

Home made is a misused term. I see all proclaim home made, but all selling like production line from factory.

Home made is probably illegal also since home is governed by living quarters act and cannot sell commercially due boh licence. [:p]

Actually, home baked stuff can be sold legally. As long as the business is small scale and never hire employees and all that. HDB allows and NEA says no need for license since it is small scale. But quite obvious which ones are not really home made la.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 16

Agree that home made is still the best. However, I would say Begawan Solo Kueh Lapis being factory produced is the closest u can get to home made ones n the prune Lapis is a personal favourite of mine.

BTW, i heard some home made ones even add abit of Martell to give some kick n fragrance to the cake but this obviously not possible for shops selling the factory made ones as they need to cater for all races n religions where possible so Martell is definitely a no go.

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 7

Twincharged

Agree that home made is still the best. However, I would say Begawan Solo Kueh Lapis being factory produced is the closest u can get to home made ones n the prune Lapis is a personal favourite of mine.

BTW, i heard some home made ones even add abit of Martell to give some kick n fragrance to the cake but this obviously not possible for shops selling the factory made ones as they need to cater for all races n religions where possible so Martell is definitely a no go.

Ya. I put Martell in the Kueh Lapis. IIRC bengawan solo ones have alcohol right? I rmb seeing their label stating that. The Martell does make a big difference. I tried to make one with less Martell and my dad can taste the difference after he took one bite.

• Praise 1

If u go batam can try Diana layer cake. Its home made, if u think those lamoist too common

I find diana one very fragrant and eat alot wont sian one.

Forget about bengawan solo its a ripoff lol

attachicon.gif20180203_191038.jpg

attachicon.gif20180203_233001.jpg

Made some yesterday. Made some with thicker layers and some with thinner layers cuz some of my friends claim that thicker layers will make the cake softer. Didn't seem to make any difference to me.

Actually, home baked stuff can be sold legally. As long as the business is small scale and never hire employees and all that. HDB allows and NEA says no need for license since it is small scale. But quite obvious which ones are not really home made la.

looks good!  [thumbsup]

looks good man. yum yum

thicker mean less layer?  more layer will be heavier and solid.

I find some with added cinnamon or vanilla extract that make the smell too strong, not really tasty.

thicker mean less layer? more layer will be heavier and solid.

I find some with added cinnamon or vanilla extract that make the smell too strong, not really tasty.

Frankly I find this lapis if without cinnamon will not be a true kueh lapis.

Frankly I find this lapis if without cinnamon will not be a true kueh lapis.

agree, it is one of the main ingredient, but some will add cheaper substitute like extract or syrup, too overwhelming.

Twincharged

thicker mean less layer?  more layer will be heavier and solid.

Thicker with less layers but overall cake same thickness.

If u go batam can try Diana layer cake. Its home made, if u think those lamoist too common

I find diana one very fragrant and eat alot wont sian one.

Forget about bengawan solo its a ripoff lol

Eh my parents just came back and bought a few from Diana.

I brought home and realised the top layer got a few mould spots leh.

Still edible?

↡ Advertisement