45 replies to this topic | 335 praises

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

Quite a sad tale of Nigel!

https://www.washingt...m=.fc93c6ac5a48

5I2TATJLUQ6XZHH2P5SZOOJ3BQ.jpg

Nigel, a handsome gannet bird who lived on a desolate island off the coast of New Zealand, died suddenly this week. Wherever his soul has landed, the singles scene surely cannot be worse.

The bird was lured to Mana Island five years ago by wildlife officials who, in hopes of establishing a gannet colony there, had placed concrete gannet decoys on cliffsides and broadcast the sound of the species’ calls. Nigel accepted the invitation, arriving in 2013 as the island’s first gannet in 40 years. But none of his brethren joined him.

In the absence of a living love interest, Nigel became enamored with one of the 80 faux birds. He built her — it? — a nest. He groomed her “chilly, concrete feathers . . . year after year after year,” the Guardian reported. He died next to her in that unrequited love nest, the vibrant orange-yellow plumage of his head contrasting, as ever, with the weathered, lemony paint of hers.

“Whether or not he was lonely, he certainly never got anything back, and that must have been [a] very strange experience,” conservation ranger Chris Bell, who also lives on the island, told the paper. “I think we all have a lot of empathy for him, because he had this fairly hopeless situation.”

As he persisted in this futile courtship, Nigel accrued something of a fan base. Mana is a scientific reserve that, like other New Zealand islands, has been the focus of replanting and rodent eradication efforts. Friends of Mana Island, one of the groups that has planted trees and shrubs, said on Facebook that Nigel “won the hearts” of members and volunteers who “spent many hours over the years maintaining the concrete colony.”

3PTUPPNCO45W5C6IONSOHAAPMY.jpg
A photo of Nigel’s favorite spot on Mana Island, taken a few days after his death. The birds pictured are concrete gannet decoys. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)

Another gannet spent some time on Mana last year. Unfortunately, it was a he, dubbed Norman.

Perhaps the saddest twist to this tale is that three other gannets settled on Mana last month, after conservation officials tweaked the sound system used to attract them, according to the New Zealand website Stuff. This raised the possibility of breeding. But Nigel paid them no attention.

“This just feels like the wrong ending to the story,” Bell told Stuff. “He died right at the beginning of something great.”

But Nigel — whose nickname was “no mates” — will forever be remembered as the pioneer of the colony and credited with signaling to the new trio that Mana was suitable habitat, Bell said.

PTT7HD4MEY4KRPHQZGD6THIQIQ.jpg
A volunteer paints a gannet decoy on Mana , a small island off the southwest coast of New Zealand’s north island. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)

On Thursday, Friends of Mana Island posted an original poem dedicated to the lonely castaway:

To Nigel 
You stayed awhile on Mana Island, 
Attracted by your concrete mates
You built a nest, you did your best
But only Norman dropped on by.

We weeded, we painted, we sprayed guano around. 
We hoped you’d find the real thing. 
Three newbies arrived, a Christmas surprise, 
But suddenly you are gone.

RIP ‘no mates’ Nigel

nazerath, Carbon82, Mustank, RH1667, BabyBlade, Atrecord, Showster and 1 other member praised this
RESPECT is only for the DEAD!
CirclesLife Code: RADX89

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

Picnic06-Biante15
  • Premium member
    Picnic06-Biante15
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Any bird will die if bang stones for 5 years .... :secret-laugh:

RadX, Volvobrick, Mustank, Staff69, Beregond, Tianmo, Vratenza and 1 other member praised this

"Genius is One Per Cent INSPIRATION, Ninety-nine Per Cent PERSPIRATION"

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

Any bird will die if bang stones for 5 years .... :secret-laugh:

Poor stones
Picnic06-Biante15 praised this
RESPECT is only for the DEAD!
CirclesLife Code: RADX89

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

Picnic06-Biante15
  • Premium member
    Picnic06-Biante15
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Poor stones

Shouldn't they use a rubberised one ... [sly]

"Genius is One Per Cent INSPIRATION, Ninety-nine Per Cent PERSPIRATION"

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:36 PM

Enye
  • Enye
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

humans have dummy sex toys too

:D

Mustank, Picnic06-Biante15 and RH1667 praised this

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:54 PM

Carbon82

Quite a sad tale of Nigel!

https://www.washingt...m=.fc93c6ac5a48

5I2TATJLUQ6XZHH2P5SZOOJ3BQ.jpg

Nigel, a handsome gannet bird who lived on a desolate island off the coast of New Zealand, died suddenly this week. Wherever his soul has landed, the singles scene surely cannot be worse.

The bird was lured to Mana Island five years ago by wildlife officials who, in hopes of establishing a gannet colony there, had placed concrete gannet decoys on cliffsides and broadcast the sound of the species’ calls. Nigel accepted the invitation, arriving in 2013 as the island’s first gannet in 40 years. But none of his brethren joined him.

In the absence of a living love interest, Nigel became enamored with one of the 80 faux birds. He built her — it? — a nest. He groomed her “chilly, concrete feathers . . . year after year after year,” the Guardian reported. He died next to her in that unrequited love nest, the vibrant orange-yellow plumage of his head contrasting, as ever, with the weathered, lemony paint of hers.

“Whether or not he was lonely, he certainly never got anything back, and that must have been [a] very strange experience,” conservation ranger Chris Bell, who also lives on the island, told the paper. “I think we all have a lot of empathy for him, because he had this fairly hopeless situation.

Perhaps the saddest twist to this tale is that three other gannets settled on Mana last month, after conservation officials tweaked the sound system used to attract them, according to the New Zealand website Stuff. This raised the possibility of breeding. But Nigel paid them no attention.

“This just feels like the wrong ending to the story,” Bell told Stuff. “He died right at the beginning of something great.”

But Nigel — whose nickname was “no mates” — will forever be remembered as the pioneer of the colony and credited with signaling to the new trio that Mana was suitable habitat, Bell said.

While the initiatives by the wildlife officials were good, it bring only misery to the poor bird. Imagine you are left alone on an island, with NO human around but life-size statues... ... [:|]

Can any international animal welfare group charge these officials for animal cruelty (I am not kidding actually :a-anyone: ), given that they:

- fail to do their part to attract more gannets to the island;

- did not attempt to "send" the lonely bird off the island after their attempts to establish a gannet colony failed.

[angel] RIP Nigel [angel]

<!-- isHtml:1 -->Behaviour shapes attitudes, and over a period of time, solidifies into beliefs.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

BabyBlade

RIP Nigel.

Sad story for the unloved, quite apt for the coming Valentine's Day.

BanCoe praised this
I like my hair messy, my life high, and my soul wild.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

Hoseyboh
  • Hoseyboh
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

RIP Nigel.

You available on dat day!🤗

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:16 PM

BabyBlade

You available on dat day!🤗

available but not for you. hahaha.  [flowerface]

I like my hair messy, my life high, and my soul wild.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

Enye
  • Enye
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

goddess, this obviously is a hint to that special someone.....

wonder who?

:a-fun:  :XD:

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:30 PM

Hoseyboh
  • Hoseyboh
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

available but not for you. hahaha. [flowerface]

Ehh....please don't get me wrong hor.

I'm asking on behalf of all the fellow MCF "batang" members hor...

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:38 PM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

goddess, this obviously is a hint to that special someone.....

wonder who?

:a-fun:  :XD:

sifu, is it you?

That is all.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Ehh....please don't get me wrong hor.

I'm asking on behalf of all the fellow MCF "batang" members hor...

brother......brother.....dont include me hor...i oredy married! BabyBlade........how? On?....😂😂😂😂
Together We stand Alone

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

Hoseyboh
  • Hoseyboh
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

brother......brother.....dont include me hor...i oredy married! BabyBlade........how? On?....😂😂😂😂

Walau eh, later BB on kow you and also reserved a table beside for your wife Dan you know....

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

Enye
  • Enye
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

sifu, is it you?

[hur]

since when goddess and mortals mix?

[dizzy]

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Walau eh, later BB on kow you and also reserved a table beside for your wife Dan you know....

my wife wont mind one lar....i still have 3 vacancies mar....😂😂😂
Hoseyboh and chryst praised this
Together We stand Alone

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sienta X 2009, Sienta Hybrid X 2017
PSA: Get car cam if you still have not done so...
PSA2: Apply for vCashcard...

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

Tkseah
  • Tkseah
    6th Gear
    Author Image

so sad.. like the movie cast away..  :TT_TT:

iHerb discount code - TEC163

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

Nolicense
  • Premium member
    Nolicense
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Poor stones

I got a feeling this was what happened...

Norman: Eh hello, what's your name? This place looks deserted. How long you been here?

Nigel: The humans call me Nigel, they provide me female companions. I am the pack leader. I am here for many years.

Norman: Let me see... eh, they don't move.. eh siah.. these are rocks..

Nigel: Cannot be, this is my wife. This is our nest. I court her for many years.. she is just playing hard to get...

Norman: Brudder, you been banging rocks? HAHAHA... you not malu? I gotta go tell all my mates! They'll have to come see this! Adieus!

Nigel: I wish I was dead...

Mustank praised this

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

RIP Nigel.

Ya ... please love me more 😁

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

No need hmmmm .... not you 😂
Aaronlkl praised this
樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: nigel, gannet, sad tale and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users