Do you still eat expired foods and drinks?

DACH

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still eat food and drinks that have expired?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

Hi all,

I just found 4 packs of instant noodles in my cabinet which have expired on Nov last year.  :a-m1524:

However they are not opened yet and I googled in some sites that it is safe to eat because they are dehydrated food and bacteria won't grow inside. The MSG is salt and so won't get spoil too. 

So should I eat them or throw away?  :TT_TT:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

I just found 4 packs of instant noodles in my cabinet which have expired on Nov last year. :a-m1524:

However they are not opened yet and I googled in some sites that it is safe to eat because they are dehydrated food and bacteria won't grow inside. The MSG is salt and so won't get spoil too.

So should I eat them or throw away? :TT_TT:

Eat lah..

But please buy a tombstone and a casket+burial ground before eating.

RadX said that these cost $44444 in total when I asked him for a package specially tailored for you.

Ps.Was joking.Just eat them without worry.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

I eat.

My missus won't.

same here .

Dan what for the manufacturer put an expiry date?

nowadays, some mfr will put BB date .... so you can use your own imagination.

if airtight or controlled temperature, a few months still ok lah.

• Praise 2

same here .

nowadays, some mfr will put BB date .... so you can use your own imagination.

if airtight or controlled temperature, a few months still ok lah.

The thing is packaging are now design to disintegrate over the years. After it has expired the packaging could likely be compromised meaning moisture has set in. It isn't air sealed/tight in a proper vacuum bag. It's just a thin plastic bag. For me I throw it away. I don't enjoy tasting weird expired food. Your choice.

For process food like instant noodle which only expired less than 1 year should still able to eat, wont die de. At most LS or stomach pain only. Tea bag which expired liao still can drink also. Think for food which stated best before should be safe to eat even after the stated date. But you must still need to see and smell after opening of the expired food package, look for any mold or funny smell before eating.

Some biscuits expired also can eat. 

• Praise 2

Supercharged

when I was a chao student, I saved money by eating expired instant noodles, 90% discount.

I didn't eat the msg because it looked wet and caked, cooked the noodles with my own mixed sauce or liao, sometimes mixed with canned ox tail soup

did that for two years, didn't die immediately but don't know if my life will get shorten because of that

• Praise 4

4 packet of instant noodle how much?

I bought discount last year.

SGD1.20 per pack. Inside 4 packs, so 16 packets.  :a-m1524:

• Praise 1

I bought discount last year.

SGD1.20 per pack. Inside 4 packs, so 16 packets. :a-m1524:

speechless...

I bought one packet of 5 pack 1 year also cannot finish [sweatdrop]

speechless...

I bought one packet of 5 pack 1 year also cannot finish [sweatdrop]

Cannot finish? Then why you buy le? Lol.

Some food never expire, but still need to put expity/best before dates by law. Use your own discretion.

Like salt, sugar and honey, they always have expiry date but many people say it is still safe to eat even past the expired date for years.

Edited by 13177

Use your nose and eyes.... as long as no bad smell, nothing growing on it, no problem. Furthermore it is instant noodles ie you are going to cook it at boiling temperature, very safe!

Do note cooking would not destroy alphatoxin though (some type of fungus on nuts etc) and if canned food I would usually not risk eating if it is well past expiry (botulism) since we may not cook the canned food.

• Praise 4

Cannot finish? Then why you buy le? Lol.

Like salt, sugar and honey, they always have expiry date but many people say it is still safe to eat even past the expired date for years.

contingency, in case got war you know.

Twincharged

The thing is packaging are now design to disintegrate over the years. After it has expired the packaging could likely be compromised meaning moisture has set in. It isn't air sealed/tight in a proper vacuum bag. It's just a thin plastic bag. For me I throw it away. I don't enjoy tasting weird expired food. Your choice.

if really lau hong already, then i will throw also.

if never lau hong but also taste weird, i will also dispose of.

if can see the inside don't look like what its supposed to be, i might most probably throw away.

but i won't just leave everything to the date printed on the packaging - you are right .... we have choices.

when I was a chao student, I saved money by eating expired instant noodles, 90% discount.

I didn't eat the msg because it looked wet and caked, cooked the noodles with my own mixed sauce or liao, sometimes mixed with canned ox tail soup

did that for two years, didn't die immediately but don't know if my life will get shorten because of that

have you asked radx ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1