MCF China

Benarsenal

I noticed that there are a few MCF-ers here who have left our sunny island and gone to the Motherland, for work or other opportunities.

To tell you guys a secret, I am now also one of them.

I started a new job in January and am now based in Shanghai, It's been quite an interesting experience so far living and working in China (although Shanghai is not very much diff from Singapore, other than the cold winter weather)

I'm guessing this can be a thread for all of us who are based in China, to gather, talk cock, chit chat and share tips. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this though.

wow.

sounds good... doubt I will have such an opportunity...

You brought family along?

↡ Advertisement

people get hungry and motivated when there are opportunities, there isn't many here plus the protected/orderly environment makes everyone too comfort to move.

China is big, what you see in first tier cities is only small faction of their populations who are smart and hungry and trying to make it to the upper class. However the rest are also motivated due to the amount of money flowing in the country, they might not be smart but it create a lot of opportunities to con, to steal, to rob and vice   [sweatdrop]

Thanks everyone haha. I'll see what I can do about the XMM. LOL.

Living overseas does have its good and bad. While I do have my issues with the current administration and how things are run in Singapore, at the end of the day it's still where I grew up and where my family is. Inevitably will still have some feelings and miss some things from back home.

The other day I was watching TV and they were showing The Amazing Race China, and their host was Allan Wu (yes really). The episode where they visited Singapore, really quite emo for me seeing them visit places like Sentosa, Lau Pa Sat etc. And at the end Allan Wu mentioned that Singapore is also his home even though he's based in China now, wah that one I almost cry.  [bigcry]

I suppose the feeling will fade over time, but I think it's not the objective things about Singapore I miss (like the cleanliness and etc). More like, the memories you've built up back home, the times you've spend with your friends and family. Those things are a bit harder to let go.

Yeah I know. But getting better.

That time when it snowed, lagi worse. Wear 5 layers also buay tahan. LOL.

Dun feel so sad..

Once u get a XMM , all things will be fine..

Trust me...

FFS , pls get a proper XMM hor , not those lup sup type one as it will be one hell of a Ride...::))

• Praise 9

Dun feel so sad..

Once u get a XMM , all things will be fine..

Trust me...

FFS , pls get a proper XMM hor , not those lup sup type one as it will be one hell of a Ride...::))

You must be an experienced fellow  [sweatdrop]

Is something really wrong with our education system?

I don't think it is the education system but many youths in developed countries are living too comfortably and lose the hunger to strive and compete. Our youths and some adults may be a little too complacent and think we are greater and many in development....a bit like the race between rabbit and tortoise.  

I started a new job in January and am now based in Shanghai, It's been quite an interesting experience so far living and working in China (although Shanghai is not very much diff from Singapore, other than the cold winter weather)

All the best. i am sure you will enjoy the experience.

Edited by Silver_blade
  • Praise 2

wow.

sounds good... doubt I will have such an opportunity...

wah...you want an opportunity to find ATB gf is it?

:D

• Praise 1

wah...you want an opportunity to find ATB gf is it?

:D

No sir.

Find ATB gf don't need to go to China. Just need money which I do not have.

If you find Shanghai is freaking cold, then you cannot survive in Beijing liao?! Lol. Anyway, how come you guys have work overseas opportunity le? Due to company in sg send you overseas to work ah? 

Think you are wrong on that lei ... Beijing , or northern China , most places have heater , Shanghai , not many places will install . 

• Praise 1

Think you are wrong on that lei ... Beijing , or northern China , most places have heater , Shanghai , not many places will install . 

No heater in Shanghai during winter? I dont know about this.

Education system aside, our local parents have to reflect on how much pampering is too much or too little love ? China has the same issues among the upper/middle class in the first tier cities, the hungry ones are coming from the country and 2nd/3rd tier cities in abundance, they are highly motivated and will take on any opportunity to learn and step up.

How much "structured education" is too little or too much in killing innovation and motivation ? If we need innovation, then we must teach innovation ? Really ? 

Rich parents are sending their children abroad for University education, which is very common.

Like my 2 Shanghai friends, one had son graduate from UK 2 yrs ago and return back to Shanghai. With a oversea degree, it give him a much higher paid than local China Uni and easily get a job in international MNC.

Another send daughter to California for Uni last year.

No heater in Shanghai during winter? I dont know about this.

The heater in Shanghai is air-conditioner heater.

Unlike in the northern parts of China city, they have warm heating system going to most house. like European country.

This is better than heater from aircon which is too dry and consume high electricity bill.

Edited by Tohto

Rich parents are sending their children abroad for University education, which is very common.

Like my 2 Shanghai friends, one had son graduate from UK 2 yrs ago and return back to Shanghai. With a oversea degree, it give him a much higher paid than local China Uni and easily get a job in international MNC.

Looks like many china people went overseas to study, like in sg there are tons of china people come here to study.

children getting an overseas degree is secondary

using the children's accounts as conduits to receive and wash money is the primary benefit

:ph34r:  :XD:

• Praise 5

The heater in Shanghai is air-conditioner heater.

Unlike in the northern parts of China city, they have warm heating system going to most house. like European country.

This is better than heater from aircon which is too dry and consume high electricity bill.

they had major problems with it this year.

Supposedly to stop using coal for heating from this year on to improve the northen air quality in winter.

But the LPG price spike with low LPG supply caused the govt to reverse this decision.

• Praise 1

please lor... we worry about our own generations because we brought it unto ourselves

in China, everyone has to fight to survive thus the winning mentality

In SG, a bit of competition (mostly from FT), already kpkb to sky high liao....say worry singaporeans future blah blah blah

• Praise 2

please lor... we worry about our own generations because we brought it unto ourselves

in China, everyone has to fight to survive thus the winning mentality

In SG, a bit of competition (mostly from FT), already kpkb to sky high liao....say worry singaporeans future blah blah blah

In SG, reasonable people are complaining about competition. Unfair competition.

If it is fair competition, I say bring it on.

• Praise 3

Yes...I agree...

I don't think it is the education system but many youths in developed countries are living too comfortably and lose the hunger to strive and compete. Our youths and some adults may be a little too complacent and think we are greater and many in development....a bit like the race between rabbit and tortoise.  

All the best. i am sure you will enjoy the experience.

Edited by Davidtkl
↡ Advertisement