Power Pack to ensure Camera record when parking

SGCMHello

New cars usually come with free camera, but the camera will off when engine off.   If you connect camera to draw power from battery, it will void warranty.    Heard that if we install a battery Power Pack to ensure camera is running when engine is off, it will not void warranty, but some say it will void warranty.

Anybody knows if battery Power Pack voids warranty ?

↡ Advertisement

Voiding warranty is a means to protect AD.

Bcuz if you drained the battery flat, due to installing camera or any 3rd party device, some functions may not work properly.

A lot of cars nowadays depends on battery voltage to keep ECU settings, like power windows, seat memory, clock, radio, engine idling, etc.

As long as I know, any change or modification will void warranty, so I will ask it before install it.

It is adding on ( camera and power pack ) not modify current or existing.....thats what my SA told me

It will void all warranty if the car catches fire and when investigation concludes that the cause of fire is the battery pack. 

Still can claim own damage from insurer

Dunno man.. can meh?? Its similar to illegal modifications whereby insurer will void right?? Grey area here..

Is charging your phone using ciggy port illegal mod?

• Praise 1

Warranty is always based on acceptable and normal usage.

If you "abuse" it, warranty can be voided.

Example, it's normal for you to plug a charger in the ciggie socket and use it to charge a handphone.

Since it consumes very little current, no one will void warranty.

However, if you plug in a 3 port extension with very thin wires and you overload the extension and it catches fire, then warranty is voided.

The same as if you plug in a 12v heater to cook maggi mee in the ciggie socket. If it doesn't blow a fuse, but melts wire and start a fire, then warranty can be voided.

Ciggie socket is normally protected by a fuse of 10A or some newer car 15A, it means the power is limited, to protect internal wiring from overheating and going up in flames.

It will void all warranty if the car catches fire and when investigation concludes that the cause of fire is the battery pack. 

Then insurance can claim?

Warranty and Insurance different issues or back to back connected?

• Praise 1

I'm also concerned about this, my car is under the sun frequently, will my battery pack catch fire?

The camera that comes with the car dont have the function to be on 24hrs so i was told to go to a 3rd party and add power pack for the camera. has anyone done it in a way that it doesnt void the warranty and dont pose as a safety issue?