Zero1 the next mobile provider to enter the market!

RadX

http://www.straitstimes.com/tech/third-virtual-mobile-telco-enters-market?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10

Zero1 eyes slice of the pie with aggressive pricing for unlimited mobile data plan

Senior Tech Correspondent

A new virtual mobile telco wants to challenge the status quo by introducing an unlimited mobile data plan at rock-bottom prices.

Starting today, Zero1 will be pre-registering customers on its website for the $19-a-month plan that will be launched next month.

This price is for the first 3,000 registrations. After that, it will cost $29.99 a month. The plan comes with 200 minutes of local talk time and 200 SMS messages. Even at the higher price, it is one-third the current market price. 

Zero1 is the third virtual mobile telco to enter Singapore after Circles.Life and Zero Mobile. Virtual telcos do not build their own physical mobile networks, but lease them wholesale from one of the existing telcos. Zero1 leases from Singtel.

Zero1's CEO Stuart Tan said the low price requires it to manage the surfing speed of heavy users in a way that will not slow down that of other users on the network.

Specifically, the download speed for high-definition videos will be capped after the first 3GB of data allowance is used.

This limit, Mr Tan claims, will not reduce the speed of many other services including YouTube, Facebook and WhatsApp calls.

Zero1 hopes to sign up 50,000 subscribers - about 1 per cent of the post-paid market - in its first year of operation. It plans to set itself apart from rivals by offering free voice roaming via its Zero1 app, slated to be launched in June. With the app, subscribers will be able to call and receive calls from any Singapore mobile or landline number for free while roaming overseas.

This is done using call-forwarding technology Mr Tan developed, patented and launched early last year. The technology is embedded in a device called Qongle, sold for $199. It helps travellers avoid expensive roaming fees, ranging from 35 cents to $6 a minute depending on the destination country, or inconvenient workarounds to reduce roaming rates such as buying a SIM card in the destination country.

Qongle's technology is now embedded in Zero1's backend systems. Mobile data roaming rates will apply but the rates will be announced later.

In June, the firm will also launch tiered data plans and value-added services such as music and live concert streaming on virtual reality platforms.

Zero1, which received its operating licence from the Infocomm Media Development Authority late last year, has raised a few million dollars from private investors. They include Zone Telecom, a telephony and networking services firm that belongs to the Hong Kong-listed e-Kong Group conglomerate.

Edited by RadX
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

No point talking about unlimited data if the network coverage is poor. If boh signal having that unlimited data is as good as having nothing.

If Red Company has the best coverage, Orange Company good coverage, Green Company below average coverage...what is left for this Zero1 company?

No point talking about unlimited data if the network coverage is poor. If boh signal having that unlimited data is as good as having nothing.

If Red Company has the best coverage, Orange Company good coverage, Green Company below average coverage...what is left for this Zero1 company?

Article said they are using Singtel network.

Zero mobile and Zero1...

Are they trying to confuse people?

Zero mobile and Zero1...

Bro, current service providers are all using their network...they issue the "license" to other service providers to use their networks and facilities. If you are red company how much of the network will you let pthers use? These other service providers are also your rivals.

I always wonder why the anti-competitive/anti monopoly org aka CCS don't touch this red company. Kelong wan.

Zero mobile and Zero1...

So many operators tompang the same network. Hope the name doesn’t imply zero signal.....
  • Praise 1

Actually 30$ is a reasonable price for those who often watch youtube/netflix. As long as the speed after the first 3GB is still watchable that is!

I am now on an M1 plan (with contract and with phone) for $57 bucks (after upsizing data to 10 GB/month and also after 30% discount).

10GB is enough for me if I ration it by downloading netflix movies while I am at home on wifi and of course I will also occasionally watch youtube/etc on the data plan.

Edited by Kusje

Actually 30$ is a reasonable price for those who often watch youtube/netflix. As long as the speed after the first 3GB is still watchable that is!

I am now on an M1 plan (with contract and with phone) for $57 bucks (after upsizing data to 10 GB/month and also after 30% discount).

10GB is enough for me if I ration it by downloading netflix movies while I am at home on wifi and of course I will also occasionally watch youtube/etc on the data plan.

Mine the same :grin:

lol im quite ok with 3-4 gb

But ICT coming up lol 

zero1 website really lack of info.

didnt state the data speed we are getting after the 3GB used up.

Thot of signing one new line. since  only S$19.90 and dont need to sign contract

"unlimited" does not work well in the long run.

there will be a few people that chew up all the bandwidth, then the rest will be "subsidizing" those few people.

then telco will start to do something.

this has happened with internet.

p2p chew up all the bandwidth used by a few people, so telco start to ID p2p traffic and slow them down.

yeap "unlimited" !

it's another buffet syndrome.

the few fatties that come up and gobble up all the food at a fixed price, the owner will find a way to stop them.

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1