Car Trade-in inspection to AD

Bluesky2011

Hi,

I will be trading in my used car to the AD's dealer. There will be a car inspection.

May I know what should I look out for in order not to incur unnecessary cost to the confirmed trade in price?

1) Need to paint or touch up minor scratches on car?

2) Need to repair any worn out upholstery in car seat or scratches in car interior?

3) Need to bring normal service records (like invoices) as normally people do not keep it?

4) Do we need to go for pre-wash, vacuum or grooming session before heading to the inspection? [:p]

Please give advices?

Thanks. [:p]

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

I will be trading in my used car to the AD's dealer. There will be a car inspection.

May I know what should I look out for in order not to incur unnecessary cost to the confirmed trade in price?

2) Need to repair any worn out upholstery in car seat or scratches in car interior?

3) Need to bring normal service records (like invoices) as normally people do not keep it?

4) Do we need to go for pre-wash, vacuum or grooming session before heading to the inspection? [:p]

Please give advices?

My experience? No need to touch up.

1) service records - I always service with AD so they have the records already.

2) they always try to low ball you so don't waste money.

When is the inspection? On the day of handover? My experience is that when I wanted to get a new car (both old and new were hyundai from komoco btw), on the day I agreed to trade in my vehicle, they inspected the vehicle. They then agreed on trade in price.

The actual handover was two months later when I got the coe. The car was checked one more time that the condition remained the same.

So washing and whatever is not necessary unless you intend to do it twice.

But whatever you do, after the price is agreed on, DO NOT EVER get into an accident or cause a major damage or scratch to the car before handover. I have heard before they can change the price agreed on (since car condition has changed ) or even scrap the deal totally meaning that whatever trade in value from the old car that you want to put into the new car, you now have to pay in cash instead.

• Praise 1

Hi,

4) Do we need to go for pre-wash, vacuum or grooming session before heading to the inspection? [:p]

Please give advices?

this is new news. Which AD? 

Have they fixed your price? if so, no need  to do anything.

Even if they have not offer you a price, wash or repair, the work done is not going to make any diff to the price they will offer you.....equally low.

did you ask the AD why need a inspection? what is the inspection for? How much diff in $ both before and after inspection? 

Which AD is this?

Never heard of such thing.

When I trade in my car, the only thing the SE asked is 'the car running OK?'

I said OK, that's it.

Which AD is this?

I said OK, that's it.

So you just took the new car, and give in your old car, that's it?

The SE did ask if my car is running ok, any areas damaged or not repaired etc.

I said everything ok, except some scratch lines which are unavoidable?

So I thought its part of the procedure to have a visual check with their dealer?

Anyway, I am getting a mazda.

my PI trade-in, super fast, the SE just took a quick look at the car, asked if everything is ok, then confirmed the trade-in price already. granted the SE is quite old and experienced. 

Which AD is this?

I said OK, that's it.

Mine is komoco. Not really "inspection" more like look over. Yeah the manager looked at car (I gave him my keys) while I was discussing the documents either the SE in the dealership.

Basically he noted any major damage, lights working and the such. And that car remote was not working. Superficial. Gearbox not working properly that info I volunteered myself cos I also don't want a new owner to get a car with half spoilt gear box.

• Praise 1

Most of the time, ADs give a lowball price based on paper value without even looking at the car. So don’t bother with anything when handing over the car. I even heard of ppl who tow car there coz old car kaputz & ready to scrap oso not issue

• Praise 2

Never heard before.

When I bought the new car from Kah Motors, the SE even accept my PI old Honda Fit.

He only ask if the car is in good condition or not.

So you just took the new car, and give in your old car, that's it?

The SE did ask if my car is running ok, any areas damaged or not repaired etc.

I said everything ok, except some scratch lines which are unavoidable?

So I thought its part of the procedure to have a visual check with their dealer?

Anyway, I am getting a mazda.

Mazda... an ex-collegaue got one 1.5 yr ago. 

confirmed the trade-in price by looking at the car from afar and asking what year was it, when my ex-colleague said it's there, can check it out. This was on booking date.

when collecting new car, just handed over the car.

then the SE said, huh it's manual one arrh!?!?

my ex-colleague didn't hide anything. Had invited the SE to check the car but she didn't. They honoured the deal.

Dont think they will send your car for inspection. Maybe the so called inspection is they would take a look on your car, thats it. And if they intend to de-registered your old car, think they dont even bother to check thoroughly whether your car got scratches or dents.

Which AD is this?

I said OK, that's it.

Got lah ... depends on what car you sell!

Often times, it is the AD-affiliated used car dealers that request for it.

When I traded in my Merc and BMW, the dealers inspected my claimed single-owner, no-accident cars like people select durians.

They check inside-out and downside-up, to detect tell-tale signs of post-accident welding seams (so I was told).

One blardy dealer spent >30 minutes scrutinising until song - in the hot sun, while I waited in the showroom.

The dealers usually keep such “good” single-owner, no-accident premium cars for themselves, their associates, or resell it at a higher premium.

Note: They usually do no such thing for Jap & Kor B&B cars, and neither for the non-premium conti brands like VW, or Opel, nor the French.

• Praise 1

For most B&B cars, the common questions are :-

1. car number

2. IC number

3. got accident or not

and also the mileage of the car. 

• Praise 3

AD mostly don’t bother to see your car as they offer normally just about paper value plus some body value .... the most they will check chassis and engine no .

It probably depends on the age of the car.

I know both Merc and Audi they do have someone inspect the car you are trading in, because after they take in the car they have to sell it either themselves or to another dealer.

For Merc was trading in a 5 year old + BMW, and for Audi trading in a 2 year + Honda.

If your car is coming 10 years old, then they don't need to physically inspect. For this case, my experience was with Kah Motor, but they did ask for photos from a few angles though.

So it is not something new.

Don't need to do anything to the car, they usually will quote you a price first based on information available online like accidents etc., then later on inspect the car to see if anything warrants a decrease (never an increase I believe)

↡ Advertisement