Car Trade-in inspection to AD

Bluesky2011

Mazda... an ex-collegaue got one 1.5 yr ago. 

confirmed the trade-in price by looking at the car from afar and asking what year was it, when my ex-colleague said it's there, can check it out. This was on booking date.

when collecting new car, just handed over the car.

then the SE said, huh it's manual one arrh!?!?

my ex-colleague didn't hide anything. Had invited the SE to check the car but she didn't. They honoured the deal.

this SE still dare to say out loud haha...  [smash]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Got lah ... depends on what car you sell!

Often times, it is the AD-affiliated used car dealers that request for it.

When I traded in my Merc and BMW, the dealers inspected my claimed single-owner, no-accident cars like people select durians.

They check inside-out and downside-up, to detect tell-tale signs of post-accident welding seams (so I was told).

One blardy dealer spent >30 minutes scrutinising until song - in the hot sun, while I waited in the showroom.

The dealers usually keep such âgoodâ single-owner, no-accident premium cars for themselves, their associates, or resell it at a higher premium.

Note: They usually do no such thing for Jap & Kor B&B cars, and neither for the non-premium conti brands like VW, or Opel, nor the French.

ððð

Oh, that is what happened to me recently.

I traded in a under 2yrs old 3series to AD and the dealer was scrutinising my car and even searching for dents and scratches. Then he took it for a test drive too!

I'm wondering if they will do the same when I hand over the car. That will be a waste of time.

Maybe the guy was buying for himself :)

I traded in a under 2yrs old 3series to AD and the dealer was scrutinising my car and even searching for dents and scratches. Then he took it for a test drive too!

I'm wondering if they will do the same when I hand over the car. That will be a waste of time.

Test drive???

If he crash the car, how? 

My car got dent and think under the bonnet got a prob but i traded in away to ppsl lol. Heck care

Which AD? So niao one. Mine just walk one round and start engine will do

When i traded my car into Audi, they asked the second hand dealer down to inspect the car + test drive. Really checked everything including doing e-brake. Asked me to remove my stuff from the boot before test drive.

Overall he was happy with my car cos it was in good condition and i did servicing and changed tyres few months ago only.

Previously, traded in to second-hand dealer, they just look look and quoted.

From my personal experience, and what I read over here, the inspection process, or lack of, is really depend on how expensive is your existing ride. Which totally make sense.

Except for one, I do not sell my rides personally when buying new ones, so most were traded in, twice to AD, once to a secondhand car dealer, once to a PI. Maybe because they were cheap cars, none of them ever did any serious inspection. Only one or two of them did go around the car to see when evaluating the price, all never bother to check on the day of handing over. But the forms we signed generally will want us to vouch for the condition of the car, whether got any accident with the ride before. Minor ones like small dent in carpark not counted.

Just be sure not to get into accident before the day of handing over should be ok. 

Hi All, 

Is there any benefits to trade in with the AD for my ride when buying a new car? As in will they offer any meaningful value above my PARF value (1 mth to COE expiry)?

Will they charge me more if I choose not to trade in with them but sell to exporter myself?

Edited by Ceschfab
Not quoting

26 minutes ago, Ceschfab said:

Hi All, 

Is there any benefits to trade in with the AD for my ride when buying a new car? As in will they offer any meaningful value above my PARF value (1 mth to COE expiry)?

Will they charge me more if I choose not to trade in with them but sell to exporter myself?

If you are buying a premium brand, usually  they would be able to offer you better trade in especially for a car that is to be due for scrap,  or if your car is not the mainstream type that will  not fetch good resale market value. Otherwise for newer cars, dont bother, best is you go ask for a few quotes from other dealers to compare around, tell the AD your intention to ask for quotes from dealers as well so that they wont con you. You also should ask the AD the price difference between trade in vs no trade in, compare the net price against you sell your car to  dealers to understand the price  gap.  

The advantage of trading in is you would enjoy simplify admin process, car for car exchange when collecting new car. But the two mentioned are not a major problem,  it can be worked out with some arrangement. 

So compare price, dont trade in blindly. No loss in asking around.  Dont rush in to sign a deal, the AD will be more desperate when you are not.  

Edited by Ct3833

5 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

If you are buying a premium brand, usually  they would be able to offer you better trade in especially for a car that is to be due for scrap,  or if your car is not the mainstream type that will  not fetch good resale market value. Otherwise for newer cars, dont bother, best is you go ask for a few quotes from other dealers to compare around, tell the AD your intention to ask for quotes from dealers as well so that they wont con you. You also should ask the AD the price difference between trade in vs no trade in, compare the net price against you sell your car to  dealers to understand the price  gap.  

The advantage of trading in is you would enjoy simplify admin process, car for car exchange when collecting new car. But the two mentioned are not a major problem,  it can be worked out with some arrangement. 

So compare price, dont trade in blindly. No loss in asking around.  Dont rush in to sign a deal, the AD will be more desperate when you are not.  

Thanks for ur advice. I will not be getting a premium brand.... just probably a Mazda3 or Avante kinda car. 

Traded in my old car (COE expire 22 sep 2019)

WEnt to C&C collect new car, put old car there, took new car

They never even bother to check old car, just made sure license plate correct, with chassis number, took my new car keys, drive off with new car

LOL

2 hours ago, SIM37 said:

Traded in my old car (COE expire 22 sep 2019)

WEnt to C&C collect new car, put old car there, took new car

They never even bother to check old car, just made sure license plate correct, with chassis number, took my new car keys, drive off with new car

LOL

Cos your old ride will go straight to either the scrap yard or for exporters to bid. So no need to check. 😉

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1