What’s your Primary School?

Freeder

Bukit Ho Swee East Primary School. Shared a canteen and fence with Bukit Ho Swee West Primary School.

Yes. Bukit ho swee West eventually merged with the east due to lack of student intake.

The bukit ho swee fence..yes. that was the one we sneak 15cent for vegie pao to the outside uncle (hawker stall) beside the canteen.

yah lor. 30+ yr got a lot of differences on the roads. When i started walking to school, i think cars dunno got 0-100 km/h specs or not yet... not like now easily can find sub-8 sec cars on the roads [laugh]

some buses only got one door in the middle, that is never closed even when moving off... that type must si bey kiasi and hold on real tight then can.

That one you can stand on the step! Done that so often..because always the first one to get off the bus..sorry..should be jump off from the step before bus come to a complete stop. Hahaha

I reckon bus back then travel 30/40 km/h only.

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement

I think their gang pretty big. Cos he secondary school, one of our classmate was from that gang also and he was told by his fren, our fren in primary school to look out for us.

One other guy from another class bullied us. Steal our coins while playing marbles. He heard and without second tots, went over and jio that guy one on one after school. He wack the guy until he apologise to us.

Chinatown? If in the 70s early 80s they bluff you I reckon. Hmmm chinatown not that I know of any in the 70s/80s. The nearer is at kiang chek street (the brothel side) due to the many lion dance clan. Another gang at pearl centre second floor (game acracde). Chin swee hill (overlook Robertson walk) there was one gang. Forgotten their name.

Further down west will be the Jalan bukit merah.

Near city (currently central mall/funan) there is one notorious motor cycle gang. Their hangout at capitol cinema.

Edited by Kopites

Anyone still keep in touch with primary school frens or teachers?

My P5/6 class had a major gathering i think 4-5 yr ago, after a few chanced upon each other then started rounding people up. The turnout was pretty good, with about 15-18 turning up. Most of the girls had changed (also older  [laugh] ) but most of the guys still got some resemblance. It was a great get-together.

Subsequently we managed to track down our form teacher, who was fresh out of teaching college when she became our form teacher. She joined us for at least one gathering after that.

Can even find our principal if we want - cos her daughter was in our class!

• Praise 1

That one you can stand on the step! Done that so often..because always the first one to get off the bus..sorry..should be jump off from the step before bus come to a complete stop. Hahaha

I reckon bus back then travel 30/40 km/h only.

Yah, can't imagine we will ever consider let our kids try the same stunts as we did during our time.

Last time it was not mandatory for the bus drivers to close the bus doors (even for those that can remote close). One time I was the last one on the steps, cos if miss the bus will late liao... two hands held on hand rail, and my sling bag was swinging left and right outside the bus when it turned...

• Praise 1

My P5/6 class had a major gathering i think 4-5 yr ago, after a few chanced upon each other then started rounding people up. The turnout was pretty good, with about 15-18 turning up. Most of the girls had changed (also older [laugh] ) but most of the guys still got some resemblance. It was a great get-together.

Subsequently we managed to track down our form teacher, who was fresh out of teaching college when she became our form teacher. She joined us for at least one gathering after that.

Can even find our principal if we want - cos her daughter was in our class!

That's quite a feat to gather so many classmates.

So all of you were in the same class for six years of primary school?

Yah, can't imagine we will ever consider let our kids try the same stunts as we did during our time.

Last time it was not mandatory for the bus drivers to close the bus doors (even for those that can remote close). One time I was the last one on the steps, cos if miss the bus will late liao... two hands held on hand rail, and my sling bag was swinging left and right outside the bus when it turned...

Last time all buses were non-aircon, no need close door. Now all buses Aircon, no close door, ppl complain very warm.

I am from here...

iqc0ph.jpg

But the old campus, so you can guess my age...

2i7wbp2.jpg

Anyone still keep in touch with primary school frens or teachers?

I am still in touch with my primary school classmate (>20 of them in our whatapps group, which is still very active) and teacher (but left with 2 as of now). And every CNY, we still keep the tradition to go around doing house visiting. [nod]

I lost touch with Sec schoolmate though (only contacted a few, probably <10)...

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 10

Last time all buses were non-aircon, no need close door. Now all buses Aircon, no close door, ppl complain very warm.

Nowadays doors have to close as a safety feature. 

My school also had up to primary 8. And i used to mix with them. They ask my brother and i join their gang from Chinatown one. Not sure which one. But we never did. But we did follow them around for fights. Kena caught and kena caning with them also.

I think the term used then was chap pia kia.

My primary school also had. 14year olds were huge when I entered in primary 1. There were classes called 6-8 extended 6E 7E 8E. 6-7 mono lingual. 6M 7M.

Played clay marbles with them and also started my Hokkien expletives training then. Haha!

• Praise 1

That's quite a feat to gather so many classmates.

So all of you were in the same class for six years of primary school?

yup, it was really beyond expectation to get so many. In fact, there were a few more who were found, but couldn't make it that night...

one guy remarked that walking to the restaurant, it was akin to last time first day going to new class, very nervous  [laugh]

Nope, the class was 'stable' only when we reached P5. Before that, at P3/4, there was some streaming, but 3/4A did not comprise the top 40 students in the school. In fact the top 3 students were in B class. Then later in P5/6, i think it was made up of the top ~40...

But that was for English stream. There was Chinese stream, which started from i think E class... yes, that time got chinese stream one lor...

Do any of you know of any Minister's child enrolled in a neighbourhood primary school?

You got to be kidding! Expose ministers sons and daughters to knn and ccb shouted across the hall? Haha!

yah, had witnessed the transition... Do i remember correctly - did a/c buses charge higher than the non-a/c buses at that time? I have this impression that was the case and initially passengers preferred to pay less and preferred the non-a/c ones instead. Students got bus passes so no diff i think.

The no-close-door buses... During rain, all passengers siam'ed the seats just behind/near the door... those sitting there even opened umbrella to block the rain  [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

I am from here...

iqc0ph.jpg

But the old campus, so you can guess my age...

2i7wbp2.jpg

Xing nan pri during my kiddie time in the 80s was in jurong west then moved to st 9x or the area we call it nam tai then cos near ntu. The special thing about the uniform was the black shoes. Correct?

I am still in touch with my primary school classmate (>20 of them in our whatapps group, which is still very active) and teacher (but left with 2 as of now). And every CNY, we still keep the tradition to go around doing house visiting. [nod]

I lost touch with Sec schoolmate though (only contacted a few, probably <10)...

• Praise 1

yah, had witnessed the transition... Do i remember correctly - did a/c buses charge higher than the non-a/c buses at that time? I have this impression that was the case and initially passengers preferred to pay less and preferred the non-a/c ones instead. Students got bus passes so no diff i think.

The no-close-door buses... During rain, all passengers siam'ed the seats just behind/near the door... those sitting there even opened umbrella to block the rain [sweatdrop]

Yes, non air con bus fares are cheaper than air con bus fares. This is especially evident when the buses are progressively changing into air con fleet in the 1990s.
↡ Advertisement