New rims and tyres!

Axela525

I just change my rims to 225/17/50 profile for my 17" OZ Leggera HLT 8J, is this the correct size? I wanted 215 width but Auto Kinetic says 225 is "Fuller" look. Don't quite understand. Any expert advice please? Thanks!

27500874_10215555471138261_4525237692862

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I just change my rims to 225/17/50 profile for my 17" OZ Leggera HLT 8J, is this the correct size? I wanted 215 width but Auto Kinetic says 225 is "Fuller" look. Don't quite understand. Any expert advice please? Thanks!

Your 8J rims basically are 8 x 2.54 = 20.3cm wide

You can fit 215 (21.5cm wide) tyres but 225 means the rubber bulge out a bit more to cover the edges of the rim so when you kerb the rims, the rubber hits the curb before the metal.

Fuller look just means fatter tyre I assume. Some people like the tyre stretched so that the rim is wider than the tyre but its all a personal pref as far as looks go.

Your 8J rims basically are 8 x 2.54 = 20.3cm wide

You can fit 215 (21.5cm wide) tyres but 225 means the rubber bulge out a bit more to cover the edges of the rim so when you kerb the rims, the rubber hits the curb before the metal.

Fuller look just means fatter tyre I assume. Some people like the tyre stretched so that the rim is wider than the tyre but its all a personal pref as far as looks go.

OIC, thks....so next tyres change i can fit 215? I scare now 225 fuel consumption and pick up will be worse...

OIC, thks....so next tyres change i can fit 215? I scare now 225 fuel consumption and pick up will be worse...

You could BUT with an 8J rim, 215 is a bit small (e.g. you get a bit less kerb rash protection). Basically you bought a pretty fat rim for I assume an Axela/Maz3.

There are some generally accepted rim widths for any given tyre width. There is some leeway but Auto Kinetics is not wrong suggesting 225 for an 8J rim. Basically tyre companies would also recommend a minimum 225 tyre for a 8J rim.

You can use this site to calculate. 

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

Recommended Rim Sizes

for Tyre Size: 225/50 R 17 From 6.00" x 17" To 8.00" x 17" Measuring Rim

Width 7.00" Standard

Rim Size 7.00" x 17"

Recommended Rim Sizes

for Tyre Size: 215/50 R 17 From 6.00" x 17" To 7.50" x 17" Measuring Rim

Width 7.00" Standard

Rim Size 7.00" x 17"

Anyway, just enjoy your new rims lah. How much were they? Flow form or forged?

Edited by Ake109

You could BUT with an 8J rim, 215 is a bit small (e.g. you get a bit less kerb rash protection). Basically you bought a pretty fat rim for I assume an Axela/Maz3.

There are some generally accepted rim widths for any given tyre width. There is some leeway but Auto Kinetics is not wrong suggesting 225 for an 8J rim. Basically tyre companies would also recommend a minimum 225 tyre for a 8J rim.

You can use this site to calculate. 

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/wheel-rim-size-calculator

Recommended Rim Sizes

for Tyre Size: 225/50 R 17 From 6.00" x 17" To 8.00" x 17" Measuring Rim

Width 7.00" Standard

Rim Size 7.00" x 17"

Recommended Rim Sizes

for Tyre Size: 215/50 R 17 From 6.00" x 17" To 7.50" x 17" Measuring Rim

Width 7.00" Standard

Rim Size 7.00" x 17"

Anyway, just enjoy your new rims lah. How much were they? Flow form or forged?

after trade in my Enkie rim need to top up 2.3k heart pain....won't be changing anymore.....lol..215 to 225 pickup affected?

after trade in my Enkie rim need to top up 2.3k heart pain....won't be changing anymore.....lol..215 to 225 pickup affected?

Yes because heavier and also rolling radius bigger. But really the difference is so small that I don't think your butt dyno can tell.

You want fatty 8J rim is like this lor. Was there a 17 x7.5J rim of the same model available?

Yes because heavier and also rolling radius bigger. But really the difference is so small that I don't think your butt dyno can tell.

You want fatty 8J rim is like this lor. Was there a 17 x7.5J rim of the same model available?

nope, that size not available...i like the rims design and easy to wash....i forgot about the 8J...aiyah too late liao....

nope, that size not available...i like the rims design and easy to wash....i forgot about the 8J...aiyah too late liao....

Did you also check the offset of the rims? If too aggressive (e.g. too low) is not good. Maz3 stock should be ET+50

Don't worry about the 215 vs 225 lah. It is really negligible. I assume 215 is stock size for your car?

Edited by Ake109

Did you also check the offset of the rims? If too aggressive (e.g. too low) is not good. Maz3 stock should be ET+50

Don't worry about the 215 vs 225 lah. It is really negligible. I assume 215 is stock size for your car?

Wah..I forgotten the offset....later I ask Auto Kinetic.....headache...I check online is 45mm...ok?

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Taurus+SES+Sedan&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&target=runWheelSearch&wheelMake=O.Z.&wheelModel=Leggera+HLT&wheelFinish=Bright+Race+Grey&initialPartNumber=W01976201BRG&showRear=no&

Edited by Axela525

You are fine. 5mm diff is safe.

Your tyres are still within fender right? Not sticking out of wheel arch? (since your tyre now approx. +5mm + (1.5*25.4)/2mm closer to outside)

Edited by Ake109

You are fine. 5mm diff is safe.

Your tyres are still within fender right? Not sticking out of wheel arch? (since your tyre now approx. +5mm + (1.5*25.4)/2mm closer to outside)

I ask my tyre shop he says is 48mm....nope...not sticking out....turning full lock no rubbing...just that i scare affect my pickup only....fuel so far ok....

I ask my tyre shop he says is 48mm....nope...not sticking out....turning full lock no rubbing...just that i scare affect my pickup only....fuel so far ok....

i change from 225 to 245, didn't notice any change in pickup. cornering stability did improve.

fuel consumption did suffer a bit 

i change from 225 to 245, didn't notice any change in pickup. cornering stability did improve.

fuel consumption did suffer a bit 

Yours not mazda 3 right? lol

Edited by Axela525

nope, haha

i used the tire calculator, 8inch rim can use 215 - 245mm tire, depending on your offset

Ok....u 18 inch rim ar? so mine ok?

What is the conditions when u say "turning full lock no rubbing"? Cos hard cornering or with heavy load the car will dip down further and hence more likely to hit than if just normal turns. I once attempted to increase the diameter of my tyres by using next higher side size profile (eveything else same). But changed mind in the tyre shop when the wheel was removed and we saw there is sign of a rubbing patch internal of the wheel wheel size of 50c coin. This means the tyre had already been rubbing the plastic from daily drives even though i had felt nothing. My car not mazda3 and is lowered btw.

For your case since you had already changed and no issues observed just carry on and observe.

What is the conditions when u say "turning full lock no rubbing"? Cos hard cornering or with heavy load the car will dip down further and hence more likely to hit than if just normal turns. I once attempted to increase the diameter of my tyres by using next higher side size profile (eveything else same). But changed mind in the tyre shop when the wheel was removed and we saw there is sign of a rubbing patch internal of the wheel wheel size of 50c coin. This means the tyre had already been rubbing the plastic from daily drives even though i had felt nothing. My car not mazda3 and is lowered btw.

For your case since you had already changed and no issues observed just carry on and observe.

Thanks for the input....will monitor...I usually drive alone....mine not lowered....so abit better than yours....lol

↡ Advertisement