Sugar that doesn't attract ants

Sotong1977

Today went to a drink stall at Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre to buy teh o peng ka dai.

Out of sudden, the stall assistant shared with me that in the past, they always faced issue with ants going after the sugar left uncovered in containers. However, now even though they keep their sugar in a bowl without cover, the ants left the sugar in it alone. True enough, I saw the sugar sparkling white and left exposed in a bowl.

The stall assistant ends his story asking what stuff were added during the manufacturing of modern day sugar and that he usually advise his customer to skip sugar in their drinks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Today went to a drink stall at Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre to buy teh o peng ka dai.

Out of sudden, the stall assistant shared with me that in the past, they always faced issue with ants going after the sugar left uncovered in containers. However, now even though they keep their sugar in a bowl without cover, the ants left the sugar in it alone. True enough, I saw the sugar sparkling white and left exposed in a bowl.

The stall assistant ends his story asking what stuff were added during the manufacturing of modern day sugar and that he usually advise his customer to skip sugar in their drinks.

Maybe it depends on the brand?

My sugar still attracts ants. End up I have to keep it in fridge.

• Praise 2

keep sugar in fridge? :huh:

use airtight Tupperware can liao.

Artificial sweeteners or Sucrose. They also look like sugar.

Isn't these artificial sweetener more expensive? Would expct kopi tiam owner to save cost .

Different brand diff manufacturing process. The teh o i bought at some places do have the (sugared) syrup kinda taste to it.

I guess ants are the litmus test as to whether it is ok.. like Chinese martial movies where the person would poke a needle into the food before eating.

Isn't these artificial sweetener more expensive? Would expct kopi tiam owner to save cost .

I think those packed in multiple packaging will cost more becoz of...packaging cost. If bought in bulk it could cost the the same with sugar. No point being sugar substitute when it cost more dan sugar. Who will buy if it costs more?

I think those packed in multiple packaging will cost more becoz of...packaging cost. If bought in bulk it could cost the the same with sugar. No point being sugar substitute when it cost more dan sugar. Who will buy if it costs more?

I think it is more exp.

I heard sugar substitute, those artifical sugar is not healthy and is chemically-made. They are many times sweeter than sugar.

• Praise 2

Luckily my sugar still attract ants.

Although I have to find bettter air-tight container to keep it.

However, you may note that ants don't drink tap water anymore.

But they will crowd around your filtered water.

Guess why ?

Edited by Kb27

we rarely use sugar at home so we use the sachets of sugar. more expensive but no problem of storage.

go McDonald's take free one [laugh]
↡ Advertisement