Traffic Offence saying I did an abrupt lane change can I appeal?

Sunnydays-006

Hi. I would like to seek advice from fellow drivers here. I've recently received a traffic offence which says that I had changed lanes abruptly and therefore causing the car behind to brake to avoid collision. Thing is, I don't remember there's such an incident. I'm usually careful and signal/check before I change lane. There's no accident, damage nor harm. I'm now facing $150 fine and 6 demerits points. I've already appealed but it was unsuccessful. I called TP and apparently there was no video or photo to show the offence. Only a TP officer saw it. I'm feeling a bit wronged here as I sincerely don't recall such an event. The person on the phone says I can go to court and it will be the police officers word agst mine. I mean, I don't want to go to court, but if I'm to be charged, shouldn't there be some sort of hard evidence against me?

What else can I do? The TP says no point appealing again. Any advice?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hi. I would like to seek advice from fellow drivers here. I've recently received a traffic offence which says that I had changed lanes abruptly and therefore causing the car behind to brake to avoid collision. Thing is, I don't remember there's such an incident. I'm usually careful and signal/check before I change lane. There's no accident, damage nor harm. I'm now facing $150 fine and 6 demerits points. I've already appealed but it was unsuccessful. I called TP and apparently there was no video or photo to show the offence. Only a TP officer saw it. I'm feeling a bit wronged here as I sincerely don't recall such an event. The person on the phone says I can go to court and it will be the police officers word agst mine. I mean, I don't want to go to court, but if I'm to be charged, shouldn't there be some sort of hard evidence against me?

just pay up. U vs TP officer in court, who the judge will believe. Evidence not necessary need to be photo/video. Unless u can show u are not there at that time or u have your own rear cam to show otherwise

Edited by Dafansu
  • Praise 3

Internal Moderator

Started a thread for you. Good luck!

you are not aware does not mean it didn't happen, however, it could also be the car behind over react and jam brake for nothing. 

Still the TP who saw the car jam brake will automatically charge the car in front for abrupt lane change, hard to argue. On the other hand, there were many cases the culprit who change lane and causes the accident ran away, claim he is not aware of what happen. 

• Praise 6

you are not aware does not mean it didn't happen, however, it could also be the car behind over react and jam brake for nothing. 

Still the TP who saw the car jam brake will automatically charge the car in front for abrupt lane change, hard to argue. On the other hand, there were many cases the culprit who change lane and causes the accident ran away, claim he is not aware of what happen. 

If got video, not hard to dispute.

The officer discharging his duty with integrity and caught you in the act is the evidence against you. If you did not do it, why would the TP officer report you?

He would put his integrity into questioning by the judge. No TP officer of sound mind would do this to jeopardise his job.

• Praise 12

If got video, not hard to dispute.

whose video? it has to be the 2nd car behind TS's so that he can see whether the car has jam brake.

Even if TS car has back camera also cannot prove the car behind jam brake. 

Maybe you need to assess whether going to court is more worth it than $150 + 6 demerit points. A trip/trips to court already gonna cost you more than $150 worth of opportunity cost. You will have to take leave from work to attend court, face the judge and it will be your words against the TP. Seems like slim chance. So in the event that you are still guilty of the offence, you will still need to pay up and get demerit points? From this point of view, its more worth it to just pay up and let them deduct 6 points and treat this as a lesson learnt. 

The complication comes when you do not have sufficient points for them to deduct which means you are suspended from driving.

Hope the above helps. Just my personal opinion.

• Praise 7

No point appealing or arguing....

I also have the same experience few years ago.

I have appealed twice and it was rejected.

I also ask MP to write in, also rejected.

In the end, just pay up and move on.

TP like to use "court" to challenge  us.

They know that you will be scare of that unless you are some rich man son that don't mind engaging lawyer to challenge their claim.

• Praise 1

Even if you are 101% sure you did not do it, it is not worth going to court to face the judge.

I wonder if they will increase your punishment if you argue your case in court and still lose it.

Just count yourself sway, pay up the 150 bucks for a peace of mind and move on. [drivingcar]

I am happy TP doing their job to catch abrupt lane changers. Just Kena one of this type a few weeks ago, trying to cut into my lane about half metre in front of my bumper.

• Praise 4

See these words in BOLD, damn angry.

Why all the whites always talk like that?

Last time my case with IxA also like that.

Use this type of threatening words when their staff talk blindly without even thinking.

Hope that idiot (yalam) will get Karma for not speaking the truth in his report

• Praise 2

Did tp state when and where it happened? I agree if tp witnessed it, no video or photos we also gotta respect. Years ago cameras also not common. But at least tell me where n when to help me recollect or gather evidence if decude to dispute.

• Praise 1

​Maybe you need to relook your driving style.. Perhaps to you change lane is normal, but to others you change lane quite reckless.

​What you could do is that after a short drive, upload the video both front and back of the cam or ask your friend drive behind you and then capture the video.

​Like that you could see clearly what went wrong. A lot of times it is drivers perspective that he/she is a safe driver, where in fact to others and in actual fact it is not that safe at all lor.

• Praise 4

When there is no hard evidence (video or photo) to prove that you committed an offence, in my opinion there should be no grounds to issue you a summon. The TP should have stopped you there and then to summon you as the incident had just happened if he is right behind. You would have remembered what happened and you would have taken the ticket willingly if you are guilty.

To receive the ticket after the incident, you would have forgotten what happened plus any videos you may have already has been overwritten by new footage.

To sentence someone guilty just based on words of another person without hard evidence, even if the person is a public officer, seems wrong to me. Isn’t the onus on the authority to provide sufficient evidence beyond reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty? Failing which the accused shall be deemed innocent.

I feel for you bro, this feeling sucks.

• Praise 6
  • Dislike 1

When there is no hard evidence (video or photo) to prove that you committed an offence, in my opinion there should be no grounds to issue you a summon. The TP should have stopped you there and then to summon you as the incident had just happened if he is right behind. You would have remembered what happened and you would have taken the ticket willingly if you are guilty.

To receive the ticket after the incident, you would have forgotten what happened plus any videos you may have already has been overwritten by new footage.

To sentence someone guilty just based on words of another person without hard evidence, even if the person is a public officer, seems wrong to me. Isn’t the onus on the authority to provide sufficient evidence beyond reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty? Failing which the accused shall be deemed innocent.

I feel for you bro, this feeling sucks.

20 years ago no video no camera how? this practice is not new on the road, my TP relative told me one.

The officer discharging his duty with integrity and caught you in the act is the evidence against you. If you did not do it, why would the TP officer report you?

He would put his integrity into questioning by the judge. No TP officer of sound mind would do this to jeopardise his job.

it could be a matter of different perception... that does not mean the TP has no intergrity, neither does it mean he is right or wrong 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1