Traffic Offence saying I did an abrupt lane change can I appeal?

Sunnydays-006

I see the traffic offence letter in thailand usually contains photos of the offence. In my facebook group the thais like to post so i know. Usually there is a overview photo of the car and situation follow by a closeup which will also show the number plate. Our tp offence letters here have?

↡ Advertisement

Hi. I would like to seek advice from fellow drivers here. I've recently received a traffic offence which says that I had changed lanes abruptly and therefore causing the car behind to brake to avoid collision. Thing is, I don't remember there's such an incident. I'm usually careful and signal/check before I change lane. There's no accident, damage nor harm. I'm now facing $150 fine and 6 demerits points. I've already appealed but it was unsuccessful. I called TP and apparently there was no video or photo to show the offence. Only a TP officer saw it. I'm feeling a bit wronged here as I sincerely don't recall such an event. The person on the phone says I can go to court and it will be the police officers word agst mine. I mean, I don't want to go to court, but if I'm to be charged, shouldn't there be some sort of hard evidence against me?

What else can I do? The TP says no point appealing again. Any advice?

do you happen to have video of the incident in your own cam ?

• Praise 1

whose video? it has to be the 2nd car behind TS's so that he can see whether the car has jam brake.

Even if TS car has back camera also cannot prove the car behind jam brake. 

Can show the distance between TS car and the rear car. And also show whether TS cut in abruptly or braked suddenly or not.

If none of that happened and the car behind jam break, it isn't TS fault.

​Maybe you need to relook your driving style.. Perhaps to you change lane is normal, but to others you change lane quite reckless.

​What you could do is that after a short drive, upload the video both front and back of the cam or ask your friend drive behind you and then capture the video.

​Like that you could see clearly what went wrong. A lot of times it is drivers perspective that he/she is a safe driver, where in fact to others and in actual fact it is not that safe at all lor.

I also think so. Better to just accept and move on.

• Praise 5

Hi. I would like to seek advice from fellow drivers here. I've recently received a traffic offence which says that I had changed lanes abruptly and therefore causing the car behind to brake to avoid collision. Thing is, I don't remember there's such an incident. I'm usually careful and signal/check before I change lane. There's no accident, damage nor harm. I'm now facing $150 fine and 6 demerits points. I've already appealed but it was unsuccessful. I called TP and apparently there was no video or photo to show the offence. Only a TP officer saw it. I'm feeling a bit wronged here as I sincerely don't recall such an event. The person on the phone says I can go to court and it will be the police officers word agst mine. I mean, I don't want to go to court, but if I'm to be charged, shouldn't there be some sort of hard evidence against me?

Pay up la.

In Singapore, don't need to be proven guilty in court to be punished one.

Pay up la.

In Singapore, don't need to be proven guilty in court to be punished one.

​Pay up is one thing. At least he need to know what went wrong so that he could correct it.

​My best answer to him is for him to relook at his driving style when changing lane.

• Praise 1

do you happen to have video of the incident in your own cam ?

I dont think he will have it, as by the time he receive the letter the video would have been overwritten by new videos.

That is why the TP should have pulled him over to fine him right after the incident, or have video or photos to back up his claim.

Both did not happen, onus should be on TP to furnish evidence to prove that TS is indeed guilty.

the question is.. you not happy pay the $150 or you really feel wronged?

my own experience is this, i try do a short summary

my wife bought 2nd hand car,  caught by TP for exhaust pipe while driving.. subsequently failed inspection 

i was not happy, because the previous owner had a cert that pass the exhaust just 2-3 months ago. LTA officer gave many reasons and refused to budge on the matter, only reducing the fine. But i was looking for the whole offence to be written off and not just waived the fine. After many calls and time spent they revealed say inspection pictures does not match exhaust pipe so means modified but still not willing to cancel the offence.

i continue to spend time to dig the truth, even taking leave to go LTA with my OC and after almost 3 months of rubbish, i managed to find out that the original inspection photos they have is really my exhaust because the serial number is unclear on their photos.

With that, i wrote to them again and they waive the fine say out of goodwill blah blah blah, i just put on record that this should not be considered an offence.

you willing to go to such lengths for $150?

Some nimcompoops will say the money not worth it.... but i tell you this, if next time you have other offences, this past offences may be taken into consideration....

• Praise 13

I sincerely hope TS is not the type where he change lane will cause other cars to brake hard for him.

​Maybe to him its okay, but its actually not okay in expressway speed. 

​Just today morning there is a chain collision at KJE towards Tuas after Team Academy there.

​I was travelling in opposite direction, can see the crash impact is quite big, with ambulance there somemore.

​Perhaps they are tailgating.. 

​Tailgating + other driver lane change abruptly = Accident 

When there is no hard evidence (video or photo) to prove that you committed an offence, in my opinion there should be no grounds to issue you a summon. The TP should have stopped you there and then to summon you as the incident had just happened if he is right behind. You would have remembered what happened and you would have taken the ticket willingly if you are guilty.

To receive the ticket after the incident, you would have forgotten what happened plus any videos you may have already has been overwritten by new footage.

To sentence someone guilty just based on words of another person without hard evidence, even if the person is a public officer, seems wrong to me. Isnât the onus on the authority to provide sufficient evidence beyond reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty? Failing which the accused shall be deemed innocent.

I feel for you bro, this feeling sucks.

Thanks bro, this is how I feel. I know it the TP and they have integrity in their words and all. But I felt quite wronged here and if they want to accuse me should at least show me some evidence. In today's age, maybe TP should look into mobile cameras etc to provide evidence if they want to accuse of any offence.
  • Praise 2

the question is.. you not happy pay the $150 or you really feel wronged?

my own experience is this, i try do a short summary

my wife bought 2nd hand car, caught by TP for exhaust pipe while driving.. subsequently failed inspection

i was not happy, because the previous owner had a cert that pass the exhaust just 2-3 months ago. LTA officer gave many reasons and refused to budge on the matter, only reducing the fine. But i was looking for the whole offence to be written off and not just waived the fine. After many calls and time spent they revealed say inspection pictures does not match exhaust pipe so means modified but still not willing to cancel the offence.

i continue to spend time to dig the truth, even taking leave to go LTA with my OC and after almost 3 months of rubbish, i managed to find out that the original inspection photos they have is really my exhaust because the serial number is unclear on their photos.

With that, i wrote to them again and they waive the fine say out of goodwill blah blah blah, i just put on record that this should not be considered an offence.

you willing to go to such lengths for $150?

Some nimcompoops will say the money not worth it.... but i tell you this, if next time you have other offences, this past offences may be taken into consideration....

his case quite hard to find evidence cos nothing physical or concrete, only words.

similar to so many people drive across double white line, TP won't give chase just put time and location. I believe TS case should also have time and location mentioned.

Maybe TS is safe driver and it was misunderstanding and instead of Toto he get special "white packet" from TP. In this case, have to suck thumb and pay up and at least it never affect insurance or NCD which are the REAL DEALs.

But also maybe TS is quite a "FAST and FURIOUS" driver who thinks that he is just too fast and smooth for other motorists who are cursing under their breadths after they ebrake to avoid kissing him. He will eventually realize it once he sees that TP seems to always 'target' him or after the 3rd chain collision he causes....

Even if you are 101% sure you did not do it, it is not worth going to court to face the judge.

I wonder if they will increase your punishment if you argue your case in court and still lose it.

Just count yourself sway, pay up the 150 bucks for a peace of mind and move on. [drivingcar]

unless you have evidence to show the contrary and TP still reject. then go court and show the judge and then hopefully he stands on your side and admonish the Traffic police.

Thanks bro, this is how I feel. I know it the TP and they have integrity in their words and all. But I felt quite wronged here and if they want to accuse me should at least show me some evidence. In today's age, maybe TP should look into mobile cameras etc to provide evidence if they want to accuse of any offence.

hello, for the past 50years it has always been the TP words against yours. fight in court la.

An example.

​While driving at lane 2 say speed is 60km/h ( stuck behind lorry )

​Wanted to change to lane 1 to overtake..

​Here's the thing, after the 1st car in 1st lane pass me, there is about 4 car gap. 1st lane car travel at say estimated at 90 to 100km/h.

​So after 1st car passed me in lane 1, the 4 car gap is it enough to change from lane 2 to lane 1 with 30Km/h speed difference?

​TS go think about it, will you lane change? 

If ans is yes, you may need to reflect in your driving style, coz this definitely will cause 1st lane car behind to brake hard.

​If ans is no, then good.. Quite a safe driver.

Edited by Yewheng

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I don't have any car cam and thus cannot prove my innocence or even review to see what happened. I've had a squeaky clean driving record and this 6 points is really bothering me, especially when I feel that it might not have happened, or blown out of perspective. I do appreciate some posters views that I might have a biased perspective. I'm just thinking that if you want to accuse me of murder, at least show me the body, not just shout 'murder murder'. Right now it's like having to suck it in even though I disagree with the accusation.

In this age of car cams or whatever cams, tp should provide evidence before they accuse of offence, or just summon on the spot. Now it's like pointing finger at me without hard evidence. I mean, you get a picture if you run red light, then there's no argument it didn't happen.

Using the word court repeatedly to 'warn' you to pay up, feels kinda of mafia.

his case quite hard to find evidence cos nothing physical or concrete, only words.

similar to so many people drive across double white line, TP won't give chase just put time and location. I believe TS case should also have time and location mentioned.

well... i was initially told the same thing.... no pics... just say is modified

i think if the same thing happened to me as TS, i may go all out if i am very sure i am not in the wrong

in the first place, i think TP has to prove that it was his sudden lane change that caused the car behind to brake

we all drive so long we should know that there are some people that love to brake, maybe tired, maybe kiasee

Edited by Galantspeedz
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1