Caned for Gambling in Aceh

Lmws214

very strict laws.

Christian couple caned in Banda Aceh for gambling

28 FEB 2018

Authorities in Banda Aceh have caned a non-Muslim married couple on Tuesday after the two were arrested for gambling at an entertainment center in the capital of Aceh.

The Aceh Sharia Court sentenced the Christian couple, identified as Dahlan Sili Tongga, 61, and Tjia Nyuk Hwa, 45, to eight and seven lashes respectively for violating provincial laws.

Aceh is the only province that upholds sharia, although non-Muslims found guilty of committing crimes that are regulated under the Criminal Code (KUHP) such as gambling can choose to either be punished by incarceration as stipulated under the KUHP or under provincial sharia.

The couple were found guilty of violating a jinayat (Islamic bylaw) on gambling. The caning took place outside the Babussalam Mosque in Lampaseh Aceh, Meuraxa, Banda Aceh.

Each lash is the equivalent of one month's incarceration, thus the Christian couple were said to have preferred to receive corporal punishment.

The court also sentenced Ridwan, 67, to 22 lashes for allowing gambling to take place on his premises. The authorities confiscated coins, vouchers and cash from Ridwan. The court also convicted unmarried couple Muzakkir and Cut Hamidar for khalwat (affectionate contact between an unmarried couple). The couple received 25 lashes each.

“This punishment shows our commitment [to implementing sharia]. We want to create a deterrent so that other people do not violate sharia,” Banda Aceh Mayor Aminullah Usman said, adding that the caning was deliberately carried out in an open space so that the public could see it.

“This is different to imprisonment, in which the public can’t see [the convicts being punished],” he said, adding that he called on people to report any violations of sharia to local authorities.

http://www.asiaone.com/asia/christian-couple-caned-banda-aceh-gambling

post-197177-0-85276700-1519785724.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

When in rome do what the romans do! An acquaintance once said he was happy living in his country as gambling is banned in that state. By the way he is chinese and he prefers not to gamble, drink and womenise.......everybody is different!

• Praise 1

What's the difference ? This is how foreigners feel about our caning here. Culture shock ?

Same sentiments, although it's a less serious crime.

that cane looks like the kind we use to whack children in singapore....

Not the same as how we handle our canings right?

the cane I use on my boy is about half a cm thick ... from the pic, the cane used by the executioner looks abt 1.5 to 2 cm thick !! can do some serious damage !!

When in rome do what the romans do! An acquaintance once said he was happy living in his country as gambling is banned in that state. By the way he is chinese and he prefers not to gamble, drink and womenise.......everybody is different!

btw, Singaporean Malays are also not allowed to consume food/drinks while in Malaysia ... coz Muslim law covers the ppl of the religion and not nationality.

my ex-boss (Singaporean Muslim) was called a "dog" by the stall holder when he ate at a roadside stall when he was in Jakarta for work.

the cane I use on my boy is about half a cm thick ... from the pic, the cane used by the executioner looks abt 1.5 to 2 cm thick !! can do some serious damage !!

btw, Singaporean Malays are also not allowed to consume food/drinks while in Malaysia ... coz Muslim law covers the ppl of the religion and not nationality.

my ex-boss (Singaporean Muslim) was called a "dog" by the stall holder when he ate at a roadside stall when he was in Jakarta for work.

go to muslim-majority country during ramadan must give them face lar unless one is a woman. In malaysia most makan stall will open only at 5 to start preparing. Not sure about Indo.....but it takes a rare kind of breed for one to open a makan stall and scold the customer.....kinda like a drug-dealer scolding the drug addict......haiz. In MY and SG if a non-muslim eat openly during Ramadan its a non-issue......if muslim and without excuse i will tell them go eat in their own privacy.....its better for everybody. But better not jump to conclusion......see muslim men dont fast.....to me its their problem. They may have medical issues or something....so i wont assume. Edited by Eviilusion

You think they think our vandalism is serious crime?

How serious can vandalism be?

So many vandals have gotten off with just a slap on the wrist or even a warning after being caught on video vandalizing cars.

I also don't like to gamble, drink and womanise.

I prefer to do it one at a time.  [thumbsup]

:D

How serious can vandalism be?

So many vandals have gotten off with just a slap on the wrist or even a warning after being caught on video vandalizing cars.

someone from a powerful country got caned in SG for vandalism ma... so it became famous. just like our chewing gum ban. 

someone from a powerful country got caned in SG for vandalism ma... so it became famous. just like our chewing gum ban. 

Did you check what he vandalized? 

Not Adrianli's car for sure.

Did you check what he vandalized? 

Not Adrianli's car for sure.

but the powerful country still considered it to be minor and did not deserve caning... 

All I can say is, if it is a crime, publish them and remind people as they enter your country. Especially for those laws not common elsewhere. The law for drugs is very prominently display in Changi Air port, so cannot say don't know. 

Once you are there, you follow the law there. Locals, too bad, follow or shift out. 

Migrate to Singapore please,we have MBS.

You mean Saudi Arabia,where Crown Prince MBS (Mohammad bin Salman-MBS) is waiting for you?

very strict laws.

Christian couple caned in Banda Aceh for gambling

28 FEB 2018

Authorities in Banda Aceh have caned a non-Muslim married couple on Tuesday after the two were arrested for gambling at an entertainment center in the capital of Aceh.

The Aceh Sharia Court sentenced the Christian couple, identified as Dahlan Sili Tongga, 61, and Tjia Nyuk Hwa, 45, to eight and seven lashes respectively for violating provincial laws.

Aceh is the only province that upholds sharia, although non-Muslims found guilty of committing crimes that are regulated under the Criminal Code (KUHP) such as gambling can choose to either be punished by incarceration as stipulated under the KUHP or under provincial sharia.

The couple were found guilty of violating a jinayat (Islamic bylaw) on gambling. The caning took place outside the Babussalam Mosque in Lampaseh Aceh, Meuraxa, Banda Aceh.

Each lash is the equivalent of one month's incarceration, thus the Christian couple were said to have preferred to receive corporal punishment.

The court also sentenced Ridwan, 67, to 22 lashes for allowing gambling to take place on his premises. The authorities confiscated coins, vouchers and cash from Ridwan. The court also convicted unmarried couple Muzakkir and Cut Hamidar for khalwat (affectionate contact between an unmarried couple). The couple received 25 lashes each.

“This punishment shows our commitment [to implementing sharia]. We want to create a deterrent so that other people do not violate sharia,” Banda Aceh Mayor Aminullah Usman said, adding that the caning was deliberately carried out in an open space so that the public could see it.

“This is different to imprisonment, in which the public can’t see [the convicts being punished],” he said, adding that he called on people to report any violations of sharia to local authorities.

http://www.asiaone.com/asia/christian-couple-caned-banda-aceh-gambling

Praise the lord that they didn't get stoned.

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

but the powerful country still considered it to be minor and did not deserve caning... 

not my pt at all. 

I am trying to say that in SG, the police and AG decides to charge a person not based on the act (vandalism) but whose belongings have been vandalized.

Check what was vandalized and you might understand.

All I can say is, if it is a crime, publish them and remind people as they enter your country. Especially for those laws not common elsewhere. The law for drugs is very prominently display in Changi Air port, so cannot say don't know. 

Once you are there, you follow the law there. Locals, too bad, follow or shift out. 

How can a country be expected to publish all the laws though?

If you visit a hardcore muslim country, is it so hard to understand that sharia law will be applied?

Edited by Kusje

At least that MBS allowing women now to drive and go to stadiums ...... slow reforms coming 

You mean Saudi Arabia,where Crown Prince MBS (Mohammad bin Salman-MBS) is waiting for you?

Praise the lord that they didn't get stoned.

↡ Advertisement