Let's talk about airport lounges

therock

(edited)

I am sure some of us have to travel frequently, so this thread is for members to share tips and comments on the various lounges around the world.

Do post pictures too and whether they are free, as part of some membership of a frequent flyer card, or free access from your bank / credit card etc

I will post some pics as I go forth around the world :)

Local lounges for starters:

The Gold Lounge

For SQ Gold members, it's a basic place, decent space, free wifi and you can get a decent meal. Nothing fancy, but entirely acceptable if you arrive early for your departure flight out. No showers

Business Silver Lounge

Showers, nice chairs, much quieter, food is a couple of notches up, and you can sit in solitude without rubbing shoulders with an army of people who made it to the lounge with their miles. 

Both lounges get nice soups, including some nice lotus root soups :)

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

i travel cattle class....... no free lounges 

I am sure some of us have to travel frequently, so this thread is for members to share tips and comments on the various lounges around the world.

Do post pictures too and whether they are free, as part of some membership of a frequent flyer card, or free access from your bank / credit card etc

• Praise 6

Economy passengers are also entitled if you chalk up the miles.. I typically fly economy too :)

• Praise 1

Lounge members can always bring in one guest.

If you see a beautiful lady going in alone.

Strike up a conversation and pretend you forgot your boarding pass

and let her invite you in as her guest.  [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 2

Supercharged
(edited)

The First Class lounge at Zurich airport has fabulous food and drink.

Also a room with a King size bed,showers etc etc.

Only there for a couple of hours or so so just the meal and some expensive drinks but no time to sample the bed.

The BC lounges at Hanoi and HCMC are not up to much.

Ditto LHR.

Edited by Neutrino

Mayb is just me, I find airport lounges a waste of time. 

Because I no have ah gong to give me business class and 1st class, I usually go for budget or the cheapest airline for flights under 6 hrs. For longer flights is always the cheapest direct flight. The plane to me is another form of mass transportation to bring me ard, no different from the MRT, so I usually plan it such that i reach airport 1 hr before take off, check in and go straight to boarding gate.

Even when i was flying business class in corporate, I think i only went to the lounge once and never did again.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 7

Lounge members can always bring in one guest.

If you see a beautiful lady going in alone.

Strike up a conversation and pretend you forgot your boarding pass

and let her invite you in as her guest.  [thumbsup]

I prefer to invite her as guest into the lounge, and have her invite me into her hotel room in return.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Twincharged

HK silver kris used to have Haagen Dazs ice cream.

Not sure if still have or not.  [thumbsup]

SG one used to have also. When I was younger and travel with my mum, she always bring me to the lounge and I'll take some ice cream to bring on to the plane.

• Praise 1

Mayb is just me, I find airport lounges a waste of time. 

Because I no have ah gong to give me business class and 1st class, I usually go for budget or the cheapest airline for flights under 6 hrs. For longer flights is always the cheapest direct flight. The plane to me is another form of mass transportation to bring me ard, no different from the MRT, so I usually plan it such that i reach airport 1 hr before take off, check in and go straight to boarding gate.

Even when i was flying business class in corporate, I think i only went to the lounge once and never did again.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

You are right bro, in SG, I will go direct, chop chop, I will clear customs and go to the gate.

Where the lounges come in handy are overseas.

Say I went on a holiday and have been traveling the whole day, it's nice to go take a shower before a long flight home.

In certain places, I actually love the food in the lounge!

Eg, the ANA lounge in Narita, has really nice soba!

Some of the American ones are awful, serving only beer and peanuts, whereas the ones in the larger Asian Capitals are usually very nice.

And Gold gets you into the Business lounge overseas, so that's a nice thing.

• Praise 3

Local lounges for starters:

The Gold Lounge

For SQ Gold members, it's a basic place, decent space, free wifi and you can get a decent meal. Nothing fancy, but entirely acceptable if you arrive early for your departure flight out. No showers

Business Silver Lounge

Showers, nice chairs, much quieter, food is a couple of notches up, and you can sit in solitude without rubbing shoulders with an army of people who made it to the lounge with their miles.

Both lounges get nice soups, including some nice lotus root soups :)

Some to do list:

- morning T2 eat chwee kuey

- HK lounge got laksa very warm and homely feeling, also normally have ice cream.

- seoul, shanghai lounge shower very shiok

- munich lounge german beer very shiok

- taoyuan lounge eat lu rou fan

- bangkok lounge eat chicken rice and pad thai

- bengaluru lounge eat chapati with curry

- saigon lounge eat pho

- night flight drink lots of red wine prior to depart can sleep soundly

Generally,food in lounge are so so only but mai hiam be pai la.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

In my experience, lounge varies depending on the airport and airline.

At some places, they have their own airline lounge. At others, it's a grouping like Star Alliance.

When I'm coming back from USA and transit at Narita, I often use the lounge shower. Makes you more relaxed after being stuck in an aircraft for 10 hrs.

Lounge is certainly a good place to relax, passed time, while you're waiting for flight, with all the free food and drinks.

But if I had to pay, then I won't use the lounge. [:p]

• Praise 1

BTW bros, this thread isn't about showing off who can access the lounges..

Not all lounges are the same and sometimes we have choices, so it will help us find the best places to settle in, especially if we need to pay.

For example, I will be having an almost 12 hour layover in IST soon, so I am researching which lounge should I pay for the most VFM...

Some to do list:

- morning T2 eat chwee kuey

- HK lounge got laksa very warm and homely feeling, also normally have ice cream.

- seoul, shanghai lounge shower very shiok

- munich lounge german beer very shiok

- taoyuan lounge eat lu rou fan

- bangkok lounge eat chicken rice and pad thai

- bengaluru lounge eat chapati with curry

- saigon lounge eat pho

- night flight drink lots of red wine prior to depart can sleep soundly

Generally,food in lounge are so so only but mai hiam be pai la.

agree food in lounge normally didnt taste well. but its free food and free flow of drinks plus ice cream. no complaint. got place to shower and relax in one corner is good enough. 

• Praise 2

Life is so like that.

People that can go in anytime never like to go in

People like me that are not entitled to go in but

always like to go in.

Life is so unfair I have to sweet talk young ladies

just to get in.

Haizzz.

• Praise 2

BTW bros, this thread isn't about showing off who can access the lounges..

Not all lounges are the same and sometimes we have choices, so it will help us find the best places to settle in, especially if we need to pay.

For example, I will be having an almost 12 hour layover in IST soon, so I am researching which lounge should I pay for the most VFM...

You going Atatuk airport?

Tripadvisor is your friend.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5162145-Pay_for_use_Lounges_Istanbul_Airport-Istanbul.html

↡ Advertisement