How are your reservist training like?

Wind30

https://youtu.be/MM79bnogHw0

If they can do this for ict.. not only realistic for fibua, people will be much more willing to go.

Also with all the talk about 2.4km.. what about the good old soc?

Personally I rather do soc than 2.4.

My platoon ranking in soc is actually much better than my 2.4.. strange but true.

I heard soc is different now.. not sure how.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

If they can do this for ict.. not only realistic for fibua, people will be much more willing to go.

My platoon ranking in soc is actually much better than my 2.4.. strange but true.

i know of quite a few friends who got knee and joint injuries from SOC though. all the jumping down from height with FBO... 

Supersonic

SOC can die le, i rather do 2.4. Lol.

I will do soc anytime. 600m run, 11 obstacles and 800m to finishing line in 9 min is achievable by me in SBO, 9min for 2.4km is tough for me.

(edited)

I will do soc anytime. 600m run, 11 obstacles and 800m to finishing line in 9 min is achievable by me in SBO, 9min for 2.4km is tough for me.

Same for me Edited by Playtime

H

soc is now chicken feet.......no 800m and 600 m run. Straight away do obstacles which are a lot different from the old soc. After obstacles is a 100m dash. My son said he did a sub 4 mins and i was going sure or not? Then he described the obstacles and the run.....

My reservist got one after lancer....this wan i not sure all infantry and guards unit kana or not

Starts from company line in old safti, attire is sbo l, helmet and rifle (same like soc) run dont know how far to Elephant hill......draw live rounds at the foot of the hill, run to one of the knolls, 84mm and m203 will be 1st knoll, support weapon 2nd knoll and m16 at the last knoll. From the top you shoot at targets placed at the opposite hill. 84mm targets are tank silhouttes the rest at the normal figures.

We were told never to shoot at the smaller targets but at the fig 11 or the 3 into 1 fig 11.

Tiring like hell......i was suppose to shoot at the biggest target but cant think straight after the run and the hill climb....i shot at the fig 11. Cant really aim as my breathing was very hard.

Ran in platoon and section level but it was a company live fire mission. As a saw gunner i drew 3 mags full.......m16 draw 1 mag full. Was told Alpha scored the most number of hits......even the 84. One of the m203 gunner was spot on for every shot (3 grenades). Their target was a fig 11 with white tapes marking a circular boundary for each shot. The gunner placed his shot all within the smaller inner circle damn chun!

i know of quite a few friends who got knee and joint injuries from SOC though. all the jumping down from height with FBO...

FBO? Your friends all commando unit?

I never did fbo soc B4.

Clear low wall with SAW find very hard

soc is now chicken feet.......no 800m and 600 m run. Straight away do obstacles which are a lot different from the old soc. After obstacles is a 100m dash. My son said he did a sub 4 mins and i was going sure or not? Then he described the obstacles and the run.....

My reservist got one after lancer....this wan i not sure all infantry and guards unit kana or not

Starts from company line in old safti, attire is sbo l, helmet and rifle (same like soc) run dont know how far to Elephant hill......draw live rounds at the foot of the hill, run to one of the knolls, 84mm and m203 will be 1st knoll, support weapon 2nd knoll and m16 at the last knoll. From the top you shoot at targets placed at the opposite hill. 84mm targets are tank silhouttes the rest at the normal figures.

We were told never to shoot at the smaller targets but at the fig 11 or the 3 into 1 fig 11.

Tiring like hell......i was suppose to shoot at the biggest target but cant think straight after the run and the hill climb....i shot at the fig 11. Cant really aim as my breathing was very hard.

Ran in platoon and section level but it was a company live fire mission. As a saw gunner i drew 3 mags full.......m16 draw 1 mag full. Was told Alpha scored the most number of hits......even the 84. One of the m203 gunner was spot on for every shot (3 grenades). Their target was a fig 11 with white tapes marking a circular boundary for each shot. The gunner placed his shot all within the smaller inner circle damn chun!

Hmm.. sounds rather closer to real op. Run and shoot.

Good idea I think

(edited)

I never did fbo soc B4.

Hmm.. sounds rather closer to real op. Run and shoot.

Good idea I think

i ran soc with fbo before.....nsf time. The low wall and the low rope will be the biggest obstacles and the monkey swing, your coordination must be perfect because of the weight and most likely will miss the bar on 1st try.... Edited by Eviilusion

Supersonic

I never did fbo soc B4.

paiseh, remembered wrongly, should be SBO. clear low wall with M16... 

(edited)

Same for me ð

745 was my all time best soc ð.. now.. 2.4.. ask me run.. maybe 24 min.. try try

I had a friend who can do 9min 2.4 can't clear soc coz cannot climb up the rope. Arm no strength n no good with the technique of leg grabbing the rope.

paiseh, remembered wrongly, should be SBO. clear low wall with M16...

Fbo only ocs or pti training if not wrong. Sibeh siong i know but i never tried. Edited by LPPL

I saw 36-year old Gurkha do 30+ pull ups like nothing happened. He looked bulky. You can see them near their base running every evening. Pull up is all about strength that is linked from grip to arms to lats to back. Cannot do means one of the links is broken or weak.

However, if too heavy it's harder to run and can the extra weight will hurt the knees.

I did a project in Gurkha camp before.

The platoon officers are all Commonwealth countries, saw from England, South Africa etc.

No Singaporean. Singaporean are s3, qm etc etc.

The old csm who liaise with me, British ang mo. Bout close to 60 already. And he tell me his annual unit qualification is STILL fbo endurance run.

Knn the full pack is much heavier than ours and he is fxxking old.

That's how tough.. I keep quiet about my NS after talking to him.

He lived through northern Ireland, and the various middle East wars.. respect!!

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

I had a friend who can do 9min 2.4 can't clear soc coz cannot climb up the rope. Arm no strength n no good with the technique of leg grabbing the rope.

Fbo only ocs or pti training if not wrong. Sibeh siong i know but i never tried.

Clearing SOC obstacles all about technique first then strength. If not quite difficult to clear SOC. As for 2.4, it is all about stamina and endurance. To be able to clear 2.4 in 10 mins and below, the only thing to do is to keep running and running and running to improve on the timing. 

Edited by 13177

Fbo only ocs or pti training if not wrong. Sibeh siong i know but i never tried.

I was OCS, full course not the air Force kind.. but never fbo soc.

Also heard it's pti who do fbo soc

think the fbo soc was banned for normal infantry and guards units back in late 80s. Too many injuries because of the weight.....but if oc and pc gungho and trust his judgement and fitness of his men......everything can do wan....especially back in the 70s and 80s.

(edited)

I get a feeling that our NS training focused more on burst of strength (IPPT, SOC,..) and discipline, less on endurance. And even so, the endurance run or battalion run are more typically only 5km. Imagine you go to war and have to run 50x of SOC distance in SBO, helmet, rifle and (add your own individual field kit) to win, we run 1x already tayar pancit.

It's not easy to train endurance in a short 3-month BMT though. It take some years to develop, so it must be mandatory for regulars and scholars. But ...

you never kana delay ops? Section level but platoon exercise. Wait for enemy in section level. When contacted need to hold ground until the remaining section are ready. When pc say okay, retreat and run to the last section which can be more than a kilo distance....then wait for the enemy to come again after the other sections have delayed them again. Must do it for 3 to 4 times before whole platoon re-org at a defensive line. ROC we did the battalion delay ops......narly double the distance but each falls into platoon level......got a few faint due to the heat and exhaustion. Exercise was in fbo as it was a few days exercise and delay ops was on the last day....reorg was in battalion strength with each company holding on to a hill. Edited by Eviilusion

I get a feeling that our NS training focused more on burst of strength (IPPT, SOC,..) and discipline, less on endurance. And even so, the endurance run or battalion run are more typically only 5km. Imagine you go to war and have to run 50x of SOC distance in SBO, helmet, rifle and (add your own individual field kit) to win, we run 1x already tayar pancit.

It's not easy to train endurance in a short 3-month BMT though. It take some years to develop, so it must be mandatory for regulars and scholars. But ...

Endurance training more for commando or ranger i think. Commandos or SOF have have things like 4 men or 2 men carrying a raft n walking super long distances.
  • Praise 1

I was OCS, full course not the air Force kind.. but never fbo soc.

Also heard it's pti who do fbo soc

I heard my officer saying he went through it. That was in the 90s.

I heard my officer saying he went through it. That was in the 90s.

I was 91/92 course.

No fbo soc.

Maybe his oc garang

↡ Advertisement