Hyundai Elantra 2015 undercarriage splash cover

Terratoss

here i share my view:

There should be no cover at this position. Unlikely you can get any original part from car maker. 

see below service manual from Hyundai & Kia the undercarriage assembly view at engine compartment.

attachicon.gifhyundai under.jpg

attachicon.gifkia under.jpg

And i think this should leave it open.

If you like to protect it, you can try get those bracing added as extra protection, not fully cover it. 

I wonder why it should not fully cover, evaluate and below the possibility:-

1) there is not much opening at the engine hood for hot air escape, hence the bottom opening is the only area for hot air escape. 

2) when stationary the heat load generate from engine is not so great, hence the heat is possible to dissipate out. However not when car moving with load. 

3) general car design when car moving forward, the air flow thru at top should be lower velocity vs undercarriage with higher velocity. So that air pressure at top side is higher than undercarriage to create down force for stabilize the car. (also taken into consideration the cd for fuel efficiency).

When undercarriage air flow velocity is high (lower air pressure), it shall suck the hot air inside the engine compartment and discharge off to the rear of the car.

and someone did mentioned there is extra holes on the existing cover, i do not think those for adding extra cover. From part manufacturing point of view, this holes likely is for the guide pin position during part fabrication process. 

And also possible to serve as drain hole to avoid water trap within the parts. 

Hence it is not recommend you to cover it. 

Thks for such a detail explanation! By the way, where did u get the service manual? Can u send me the link to it?

↡ Advertisement

I scanned thru the manuals, thk u so much! Can I check with u, if u know where can I also check for part no.s of parts for my hyundai elantra 2015?

Sorry. Don't have the part number info.

hi, these covers are more than dirt deflectors, vehicle manufacturers realized years ago that covering the underside of the vehicles engine bay helped reduce drag in wind tunnel testing, thus improving gas mileage figures. Check out what Formula 1 cars look like underneath. 

Does anyone know if there should be a splash cover for the undercarriage of the engine/gear box area?

attachicon.gifIMG_20180303_100319.jpg

↡ Advertisement