Australia rock melon recalled.

Tianmo

WTF, KNN i bought and ate 2 whole melon from SS just last week.  <_<  [crazy]

But I always wash them before I cut.  [:p]

Pls take note better dont buy any at the moment, even they claim recall completed, better be safe than sorry. Kiasu kiasi a bit.   [laugh]

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/rockmelons-listeria-affected-source-australia-sold-in-singapore-10015508

SINGAPORE: Two consignments of rockmelons imported from a grower that has been implicated in a deadly outbreak of human listeriosis in Australia were sold in Singapore between Feb 12 and Mar 2, the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) said on Monday (Mar 5).

The rockmelons from these consignments were sold at Sheng Siong supermarket outlets and wet markets.

AVA has since worked with importers to remove the remaining unsold rockmelons from the affected consignments. Upon AVA’s notification, Sheng Siong voluntarily removed the affected rockmelons, it added.

"The recall has been completed. There has been no further import of rockmelons from the affected grower since, and import has been suspended," AVA said in a press release.

The rockmelons originated from a specific grower in New South Wales, Australia in February, AVA said, adding that it has also taken samples of locally sold rockmelons from other sources for food safety tests, including testing for listeria.

AVA added that all rockmelons currently available for sale were not implicated in the recall.

Advertisement

AVA said in the press release that it worked with importers to remove the remaining unsold fruit after the Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) notified them of a recall in Australia of whole rockmelons. 

It is also following up with FSANZ for updates on the case. 

AVA advised consumers who suspect that they may have purchased the affected rockmelons within the affected time period not to consume it. Those who do not feel well after consumption should also seek medical attention.

WHAT IS LISTERIA?

Listeriosis is a bacterial infection caused by Listeria monocytogenes, which is found in the environment, such as soil, water, and faeces.

The incubation period of listeria ranges from 3 to 70 days. A person with mild listeriosis usually has fever and muscle aches, preceded by diarrhoea or other gastrointestinal symptoms.

Pregnant women, the elderly or individuals with a weakened immune system are at highest risk of serious disease, which could include brain and heart infections or complications in the foetus.

Listeriosis is treatable with antibiotics if diagnosed early.

The key to preventing listeria lies in safe handling, cooking and consumption of food, AVA said.

"As rock melons are typically eaten raw, thorough washing of the raw fruits is advisable before consumption. Consumers should seek medical attention as early as possible if symptoms appear within 70 days after consuming Australian rockmelon," AVA said.

Source: CNA/ad
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/rockmelons-listeria-affected-source-australia-sold-in-singapore-10015508

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Pls take note better dont buy any at the moment, even they claim recall completed, better be safe than sorry. Kiasu kiasi a bit.   [laugh]

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/rockmelons-listeria-affected-source-australia-sold-in-singapore-10015508

SINGAPORE: Two consignments of rockmelons imported from a grower that has been implicated in a deadly outbreak of human listeriosis in Australia were sold in Singapore between Feb 12 and Mar 2, the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) said on Monday (Mar 5).

The rockmelons from these consignments were sold at Sheng Siong supermarket outlets and wet markets.

AVA has since worked with importers to remove the remaining unsold rockmelons from the affected consignments. Upon AVA’s notification, Sheng Siong voluntarily removed the affected rockmelons, it added.

"The recall has been completed. There has been no further import of rockmelons from the affected grower since, and import has been suspended," AVA said in a press release.

The rockmelons originated from a specific grower in New South Wales, Australia in February, AVA said, adding that it has also taken samples of locally sold rockmelons from other sources for food safety tests, including testing for listeria.

AVA added that all rockmelons currently available for sale were not implicated in the recall.

Advertisement

AVA said in the press release that it worked with importers to remove the remaining unsold fruit after the Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) notified them of a recall in Australia of whole rockmelons. 

It is also following up with FSANZ for updates on the case. 

AVA advised consumers who suspect that they may have purchased the affected rockmelons within the affected time period not to consume it. Those who do not feel well after consumption should also seek medical attention.

WHAT IS LISTERIA?

Listeriosis is a bacterial infection caused by Listeria monocytogenes, which is found in the environment, such as soil, water, and faeces.

The incubation period of listeria ranges from 3 to 70 days. A person with mild listeriosis usually has fever and muscle aches, preceded by diarrhoea or other gastrointestinal symptoms.

Pregnant women, the elderly or individuals with a weakened immune system are at highest risk of serious disease, which could include brain and heart infections or complications in the foetus.

Listeriosis is treatable with antibiotics if diagnosed early.

The key to preventing listeria lies in safe handling, cooking and consumption of food, AVA said.

"As rock melons are typically eaten raw, thorough washing of the raw fruits is advisable before consumption. Consumers should seek medical attention as early as possible if symptoms appear within 70 days after consuming Australian rockmelon," AVA said.

Source: CNA/ad

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/rockmelons-listeria-affected-source-australia-sold-in-singapore-10015508

[thumbsup] Saw newsflash of this, but didn't know details. 

Now this gets me worried... even though i didn't buy any rock melon recently.

Problem is i do try to eat fruit during lunch everyday, and I'm not sure if the fruit sellers will practise strict hygiene precaution like thorough washing before they cut the fruits to sell  [sweatdrop]

• Praise 2

I love rock melons but fortunately I’ve not eaten for quite awhile as they are expensive n the alternatives like Hami Melon n some other cheaper melons meant less eating of rock melons.

I hope they clear this up soon but it will take some time before public confidence is gained back.

• Praise 8

(edited)

Last Sat saw SS selling it at half price and the cashier keep asking every customers to buy. Heng read the news that morning. Furthermore, the price tag stated it was from Australia, so no deal.  [smash]

Wash the melon no use, as the bacterial or gem is in the fresh. Hope your immune system is strong! [thumbsup]  

Edited by M3oso
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Last Sat saw SS selling it at half price and the cashier keep asking every customers to buy. Heng read the news that morning. Furthermore, the price tag stated it was from Australia, so no deal.  [smash]

Wash the melon no use, as the bacterial or gem is in the fresh. Hope your immune system is strong! [thumbsup]  

huh. news out already they still selling...

zzz

Supersonic

rock melon very expensive, I only eat honey dew [laugh]

Sometimes i eat rock melon, luckily never eat any for past few weeks liao. Anyway, what would happen if ate those problem rock melon ah?

Supersonic

Sometimes i eat rock melon, luckily never eat any for past few weeks liao. Anyway, what would happen if ate those problem rock melon ah?

You can only be sure about 70 days. That's 2.5 months.

Supersonic

You can only be sure about 70 days. That's 2.5 months.

The incubation period is so long!?  [sweatdrop]  But according to the article, the worst happen would be fever, muscle aches, diarrhoea and gastrointestinal symptoms. Which i think not something very serious or health damaging.

Ya man. KNN, last week bought one from wet market, hopefully not affected. But, Jin ho jiak ha ha.

Reported as SS and wet market affected lor, NTUC and Giant seem like boh tio.  And yah sweet sweet and soft soft is jin ho jiak..  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

[thumbsup] Saw newsflash of this, but didn't know details. 

Now this gets me worried... even though i didn't buy any rock melon recently.

Problem is i do try to eat fruit during lunch everyday, and I'm not sure if the fruit sellers will practise strict hygiene precaution like thorough washing before they cut the fruits to sell  [sweatdrop]

I dont usually buy from those cut fruit stalls one, I can cut them myself.  Ok mayb pineapple once a while I will buy 1 pc when I feel like it.  [:p]  [laugh]  

Fruit stall where got so on the ball one, want to eat outside  dont think so much, want to be very sure, buy back ownself cut.  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

I love rock melons but fortunately I’ve not eaten for quite awhile as they are expensive n the alternatives like Hami Melon n some other cheaper melons meant less eating of rock melons.

I hope they clear this up soon but it will take some time before public confidence is gained back.

but this Australia rock melon is really nice, and not so expensive actually. Got season one, so usually when in season I eat alot. Now jialat liao, please pray for me I wont die.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Supersonic

but this Australia rock melon is really nice, and not so expensive actually. Got season one, so usually when in season I eat alot. Now jialat liao, please pray for me I wont die.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Where got so easy to die de.  [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1