Parenting question, strengths vs weakness

Wind30

Turbocharged

I am kind of curious since there are parents around here.

What would you do if you find you child have a specific interest in something at a VERY EARLY age?

Example, my 3 year kid is very into letters and numbers at a very early age but is super crappy at physical stuff like playing with balls, etc. 

If I concentrate on his strengths, I believe he might be someone special in terms of numerical and reading, ie way ahead of his age. However, I am not sure if that is the right path for him.

Or should we concentrate on his weakness so he is more well rounded and "average".... ? Then there is a nagging feeling that we did not groom him to his full potential....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

What would you do if you find you child have a specific interest in something at a VERY EARLY age?

Example, my 3 year kid is very into letters and numbers at a very early age but is super crappy at physical stuff like playing with balls, etc. 

If I concentrate on his strengths, I believe he might be someone special in terms of numerical and reading, ie way ahead of his age. However, I am not sure if that is the right path for him.

Or should we concentrate on his weakness so he is more well rounded and "average".... ? Then there is a nagging feeling that we did not groom him to his full potential....

nothing you do is ever enough, one way or another. They can nag at you for putting too much on them  [laugh]

Edited by Jman888

(edited)

Too early to tell to do anything concrete.

Can you pls be less kiasu? Try to contain your overly enthusiastic parenting.

3years old. Can you remember what are your interest at 3 years old?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

Too early to tell to do anything concrete.

Can you pls be less kiasu? Try to contain your overly enthusiastic parenting.

3years old. Can you remember what are your interest at 3 years old?

not asking him to be a lawyer or doctor lah...

It is more like should I give him more books which is what he is interested in, or less books and more physical activities like cycling , play ball.

It's like do you expose your kid to his interests mainly, or do you make the effort to improve stuff he don't like...

He is 3 years old, shouldn't he be out running, creating a ruckus, throwing eggs at cars, kicking balls and breaking windows etc. [laugh]

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

wah gifted family

so ho mia... not like my peasant kids all struggling in school

Twincharged

if you believe the ruling party would be here still for the next 50 to 100 years, teach him the ways of the MIW. He will go very far. I am not joking but look around those who were connected to them. Even the lowly RC helpers have more privileges than many of us and not to say those higher up.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

It is more like should I give him more books which is what he is interested in, or less books and more physical activities like cycling , play ball.

It's like do you expose your kid to his interests mainly, or do you make the effort to improve stuff he don't like...

Can always do both? My son also started reading books by himself at 3 but we don't keep focusing on that only. We let him go to the library once a week to borrow books but also bring him out to try out other activities like swimming, cycling, music and whatever he seems to have some interest in.

Maybe will be the next man who knew infinity!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Knew_Infinity_(film)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan

Preschool can do all that what. Just let him enjoy being a 3year old. Drink neh neh, sh!t and sleep. [laugh]

Supercharged

I wish I can groom my son to join PAP.........

Minister if possible or MP also can la.

Got pension leh......

Where can I sign UP?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I wish I can groom my son to join PAP.........

Minister if possible or MP also can la.

Got pension leh......

Where can I sign UP?

Hypersonic

Eye Chan Chun Sing daughter if got any......better la

From wikipedia -

Chan is married with a daughter and two sons.

Another one of those " i want my son to be this and that, so I am saying he show talent at young age".  [laugh] 

3 years old? what makes one parent think that his son is better than other 3 years old? Seen every 3 years old's interest in letters and numbers?  I dont know, but mayb other 3 years old are just into letters and numbers? 

3 years old? what has he been expose to? books and more books? not enough books give some more?  conclusion is that he love books, because books are all he gets.  [laugh]

Children interest change at different stage at different age.  But at 3 years old, if he cannot play with a ball, I will be very worry of his motor skills than anything else.  -_-

Ok lah, Tiger woods hit his first golf ball at age 3, and yah he became a legend, large part was because his dad wanted him to be also.  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2