Will SUV sales surpass Sedan in Singapore?

SGCMHello

Now seems like more SUV than sedan on road.

Few year back I told myself I will never buy MPV and unlikely will buy SUV.

But then with kids coming into life.

I thought getting a SUV will be safer particularly if going for long road trip to Malaysia. More practical and greater boot space.

Will I change to sedan after kids grown older? Not sure.

If want high driving position a van will also fit the bill.

But with aged parent. Likely will maintain the next one as SUV too for practicality and ease of access.

• Praise 3

My friend wants to buy a sedan, but was concerned that the demand/trend might swing to SUV by the time he wants to sell, making selling the sedan difficult without incurring much loss. I see more and more of reasonably priced SUV on the road, like Nissan Qashqai, Opel Moka X, Vezel etc.

Most SUV drivers say once they sit âhighâ, they wonât want to go back âdownâ. Any SUV owners here agree?

Ur friend worry too much

Should go along with his feel. If he like suv then get one, the same for sedan

• Praise 4

I am actually looking into buying a double cab truck. 

More see more like. 

Big, muscular, and cool looking, most importantly, no scare ponding no scare ppl hit here hit there.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 9

Most of us have to go thru this cycle with MPV/SUV

Sedan or not depends on the factors in play then

Of course if got Vitamin M, then can have best of both world  [:p]

I thought getting a SUV will be safer particularly if going for long road trip to Malaysia. More practical and greater boot space.

But with aged parent. Likely will maintain the next one as SUV too for practicality and ease of access.

• Praise 6

More see more like.

Big, muscular, and cool looking, most importantly, no scare ponding no scare ppl hit here hit there. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

The empty space behind very good. If i see ur car will run and hop on ur boot, free tompang lol
  • Praise 2

My concern is the opposite. A lower car makes it easier for my 6 year old kid to open the door by herself.

Especially with vezel having the stupid rear door handle way up high

1st car is MPV, so gotten used to the feel of the car. no issues with SUV and would consider as next car.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

My friend wants to buy a sedan, but was concerned that the demand/trend might swing to SUV by the time he wants to sell, making selling the sedan difficult without incurring much loss. I see more and more of reasonably priced SUV on the road, like Nissan Qashqai, Opel Moka X, Vezel etc.

Most SUV drivers say once they sit “high”, they won’t want to go back “down”. Any SUV owners here agree?

He should take grab/uber/taxi instead.... then he confirm no need to worry about any car re-sale.

Or best he get job work-from-home... then confirm no need to even worry about transportation

• Praise 1

My concern is the opposite. A lower car makes it easier for my 6 year old kid to open the door by herself.

Especially with vezel having the stupid rear door handle way up high

True design is very important.

My current car is considered quite high but the door handle is probably 10cm higher than my previous sedan.

My 5yr old can reach the handle. But the handle requires a lot of pulling force to release. Though higher kids like climbing up and down the side steps.

• Praise 1

True design is very important.

My current car is considered quite high but the door handle is probably 10cm higher than my previous sedan.

My 5yr old can reach the handle. But the handle requires a lot of pulling force to release. Though higher kids like climbing up and down the side steps.

yeah even with my sedan, my 19+ kg girl can only open the door maybe half the time  [:p]

She's going p1 next year, so if she can like shut the door after she gets out of the car on school run dropoff, that would be good enough.

• Praise 3

It's a sign that u need to get some exercise to strengthen your back muscle.

This is a serious suggestion

Tks and I’m aware of this n in fact I do some exercises on this but obviously its not enough as possibly I’m not disciplined enough n also I may not be doing it correctly.

• Praise 4

More see more like.

Big, muscular, and cool looking, most importantly, no scare ponding no scare ppl hit here hit there. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I thought the road tax for double cab was slapped with a heavier penalty not too long ago as double cab was very popular then so as usual LTA decided to do something about it and overnight double cabs lost its popularity. I believe the road tax has eroded the advantages of owning this but do check it out.

• Praise 8

HDB season parking also very expensive. Some areas disallow during certain hours/days. Very headache...

I thought the road tax for double cab was slapped with a heavier penalty not too long ago as double cab was very popular then so as usual LTA decided to do something about it and overnight double cabs lost its popularity. I believe the road tax has eroded the advantages of owning this but do check it out.

• Praise 3

SUV are not very friendly for children below 6 years old, it is too high for them to climb up the car

One true concern about SUV is when you are on highway, do not stay too close to SUV, because you can't see the next car in front of the SUV. If the event of e-brake, staying behind SUV is quite disadvantageous.

Good point about SUV is it is more suitable for 1) ladies and 2) taller guys

Supersonic

Most SUV drivers say once they sit âhighâ, they wonât want to go back âdownâ. Any SUV owners here agree?

Those cars u mentioned are not SUVs lah. They are jacked up hatchbacks
  • Praise 4

I switch from sedan to a crossover mpv. Got a bit of ride height increase but not to the point of some SUV.

Advantages I notice:

- some mentioned already. Ease of getting in and out. Especially for my rear passengers. Sedan headroom is limited trying to get in and out for ppl sitting in the rear middle seat is quite challenging especially when I have 2 child seats.

- don't have to worry about scrapping against curbs and tall speed humps. Parking head in is a breeze, no need to worry will hit curb or not. Same for some tight u-turns. When fully loaded with passengers and barang barang the undercarriage won't scrap the tall speed humps or scrap the rear bumper when reverse parking.

- since most are driving vehicles with added ride height my line of sight isn't so obstructed eg if you drive a sedan and the car in front of you is an suv your line of sight on the traffic ahead is usually blocked.

- rain water used to be splashing high up towards all 4 doors on sedan causing them to be very dirty after driving due to low ride height. With the added ride height, surprisingly less dirty.

- seating position. It's more comfy as I'm sitting more in a upright position. Driving is less tiring. In a sedan the seating position makes your legs more stretched outwards. Not good for the back and is more tiring on longer drives.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 6