Cars written off but eventually put up for sale

SGCMHello

The most common chop & change i saw are those blue taxi, many times their door different colour from the body

↡ Advertisement

I guess maybe only those rear end accident even serious case, after repairing cannot tell at all. Cause last time my colleague car also kana serious rear end accident when the car was about 6 year old, but after the car is fixed, cant tell at all and my colleague can even continue to drive the car until scrapped.

Quotz should be able to tell, in my opinion, they are the best appraisal because they are representing the car dealers!!!
  • Praise 1

The first car i drove after getting my license was declared a total loss by insurance after an accident (roof above the driver buckled down to around the top of the dashboard, driver-side B-pillar also buckled)

Saw the car a few years later on the road with the same registration number. I guess they just cut the roof off, straightened out whatever pillars they needed to and then welded a new roof on.

This was over 20 years ago so nothing new.

In my younger days, i bought an old Honda Civic ESI manual, test drive & like the engine. The car was sent to ST for check & was graded B with some caution which I did not bother. Drove the car for 3 months when one evening I was driving halfway when the Axle from the front wheel broke. Car skidded, luckily did not bang onto another car. 

My mechanic told me this car was an accident car where they wield back the damage area & sold it off. 

waa that sounded dangerous. thankfully you are ok... 

waa that sounded dangerous. thankfully you are ok... 

The insurance company should have an early turn over scheme like the Heavy vehicle.

This will help ensure a scrap replacement with another vehicle.

• Praise 2

The insurance company should have an early turn over scheme like the Heavy vehicle.

This will help ensure a scrap replacement with another vehicle.

but means that premium may be higher... 

Twincharged

The most common chop & change i saw are those blue taxi, many times their door different colour from the body

That one is because the taxi driver settle privately then they go outside workshop to respray at the cheapest price. So the color always off. Not that serious.

I really dont know what to say. 

Its not possible to have 2 cars half each and weld back into one car. All car manufactured in a way where panels are joined by using robot weld. All parts in the car has Part Numbers including floor plate. For a CAR, there is no CHASSIS to begin with, its merely a frame, and the frame can be bought because there is a part number. Essentially you can build a car out from part numbers. 

Accidents happen and if the workshop can get the parts from PART NUMBER, it will be a brand new piece, the damaged one will be welded out and the new one will be welded in, thats why sometimes you will see that workshop has a car rear portion sitting around, bcos scrap parts are cheaper. Car frame integrity will be affected if the parts arent changed, crumpled parts pulled out and knocked out will not be as rigid as pressed out from mold. As for panel welding, man weld is definitely better than robot weld, thats the reason why people do "spot weld" on track/racing cars.

Chassis only LORRY has, the main support of the vehicle, hokkien called "DUA KUT" in car context there arent any. Some will argue inside the engine bay has 2 main beams, thats the chassis, my answer to you is, check out the part number for that item. If there is a part number means its replaceable.

In fact the car done properly or not very much depend on the workshop doing the job or how much insurance willing to pay for repairs. Example Own Damage claim, the job requires $5000 to repair, insurance say pay $3000, in this instance dont expect parts to be new or replaced. Similarly when claiming against 3rd party, dont expect sure can claim, because surveyor will recommend "REPLACE" but the other party adjusters will recommend "REPAIR" and so workshop after much nego protecting their margin will have to accept "REPAIR"

Edited by cmcex
  • Praise 6

Inspection time when they spot welding on chassis will pass?

Inspection have grading, they spot anything will have a lower grade with some comment. While those patch up vehicle are deem road worthy, they are structurally not safe when under due stress or impact during accident.  [thumbsdown]

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I really dont know what to say. 

Its not possible to have 2 cars half each and weld back into one car. All car manufactured in a way where panels are joined by using robot weld. All parts in the car has Part Numbers including floor plate. For a CAR, there is no CHASSIS to begin with, its merely a frame, and the frame can be bought because there is a part number. Essentially you can build a car out from part numbers. 

But it is cheaper to just use another scrap car to repair the other car. I have seen many times the workshop just weld the two halves together. From the floor to the roof. The way you mention is the correct way to repair but alot more expensive. Even if they take the floor out from the scrap car, it will be alot harder to do than just welding the undamged parts together.

Edited by Nzy

Inspection have grading, they spot anything will have a lower grade with some comment. While those patch up vehicle are deem road worthy, they are structurally not safe when under due stress or impact during accident. [thumbsdown]

But people may bite if it's cheaper
  • Praise 1

I think it's highly possible to weld back 2 cars together.. I think recently there's this guy in Indonesia who weld 2 cars together.. he had 2 steering wheels and both the back and front can be driven..

You mean the Toyota Vios that got wielded together and driving in Jakarta.

The question is not can it be done, but is it done. I would be very worried if half cuts are welded together and sold and even pass inspection. The frame is what holds the car together and once cut, the structural integrity of the car will never be the same again.

How they test? Ultra sonic?

They are very anal abt everything.. Even wrong batt used also kanna..sometimes checking cars no need until use Ultra sonic Equipment. Accident car is accident car.. cannot escape..
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11