Cars written off but eventually put up for sale

SGCMHello

Of course it is done. You walk past accident repair workshops, you can clearly see them working on cars that are half, where is the other half.

And go scrap yard, you can also see lots of halves of different models on the shelves waiting for workshops to buy.

The issue is how buyers detect and avoid buying these hazardous vehicles which are being sold at full market value.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

In my younger days, i bought an old Honda Civic ESI manual, test drive & like the engine. The car was sent to ST for check & was graded B with some caution which I did not bother. Drove the car for 3 months when one evening I was driving halfway when the Axle from the front wheel broke. Car skidded, luckily did not bang onto another car. 

My mechanic told me this car was an accident car where they wield back the damage area & sold it off. 

Half-cut swap with B16 engine??  [thumbsup]

Twincharged

My previous car involved in a serious rear end accident where the whole rear end smashed, after repair still get A. Depends on how the workshop repair la. This one was rear ended so I claim the other party. Immediately tell my workshop just do the best they can and charge accordingly since claiming from third party. They do until cannot tell got repairs done at all. They chopped off the whole boot area from the rear 3/4 panel onwards and welded another one from a scrap car.

Cutting about half way up the C pillar is actually a factory approved method for most cars to repair rear panel damage.
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Cutting about half way up the C pillar is actually a factory approved method for most cars to repair rear panel damage.

Yeah. For panel repairs la. Mine was the whole boot cut off and replacement welded back on. Not just that outer sheet of metal. Workshop told me another method is cut off the panels then pull the frame underneath straight. But they don't have the machine to do it and I wasn't keeping the car for long anyway.
  • Praise 1

Yeah. For panel repairs la. Mine was the whole boot cut off and replacement welded back on. Not just that outer sheet of metal. Workshop told me another method is cut off the panels then pull the frame underneath straight. But they don't have the machine to do it and I wasn't keeping the car for long anyway.

There are many cars that are "rebuild"

Like this for example.

https://youtu.be/hxIYSiTkjSc?t=73

Some of the better workshops have Jigs and fixture including the reference point to pull to the original correct o/o . But even then, it takes discipline for someone to follow thru on the process.

↡ Advertisement