Extra Charge for Driving Rental Car into Msia

toycamry

Until a few years ago, i used to rent car for msia trip.

Some car rentals (pte owner or those 'company' but operate from HDB flat one) will ask u to pay extra $20 per day, for 'extra insurance' if u declare want to go msia.

I never really bothered to check, just pay and go. But got once i asked, but the guy said 'its done online' so cannot show me. 

Anyone can shed light on this? Am just curious whether its really true got extra insurance coverage, or the rental just wanna get extra money

↡ Advertisement

i thought you need an extra phone charger when you rent a car to go msia.

Anyway the extra $20-$30 is standard for the insurance coverage.

• Praise 1

i thought you need an extra phone charger when you rent a car to go msia.

Anyway the extra $20-$30 is standard for the insurance coverage.

I suspect is for the data roam for GPS tracking?

Some car rentals (pte owner or those 'company' but operate from HDB flat one) will ask u to pay extra $20 per day, for 'extra insurance' if u declare want to go msia.

I never really bothered to check, just pay and go. But got once i asked, but the guy said 'its done online' so cannot show me. 

Anyone can shed light on this? Am just curious whether its really true got extra insurance coverage, or the rental just wanna get extra money

Like or don't like also have to pay. Their T&C.

It's for insurance.

Just when you go holiday and buy travel insurance.

Neutral Newbie

I thought that the prepayment and surcharge for renting a car has long been out of stock.  Well or it because I use Rental24H and there do not take money for their services.  I think you are paying.  And this is not what. 

By default, you need to have a copy of your insurance in your car. So "unable to show you because it is done online" is not an acceptable answer. The last thing you want to be caught up with, is pay for Malaysia coverage and get checked in Msia without insurance.

But the extra charge is valid.

By default, you need to have a copy of your insurance in your car. So "unable to show you because it is done online" is not an acceptable answer. The last thing you want to be caught up with, is pay for Malaysia coverage and get checked in Msia without insurance.

But the extra charge is valid.

ya, you should have at least the cover note of the car. sometimes at msia side, they will ask.. quite rare but sometimes they do. 

However, from what i know, most rental cars are already purchased with coverage to msia, it's just that they wanted to cover back a little from the extra premium they collect from you

I don't think they will inform their insurer that the customer is taking the car into Malaysia, since their company fleet policy would cover Malaysia too. It's to cover the higher risk that you might not come back with their car (whether you really lost it or you go and strip the car and sell it off).

Don't forget, they are running a business and as much as the customer is scared of these companies, they are scared of the customers playing stunts too. Even if they claim insurance over a car stolen in Malaysia, they only get back the market value of the car and they lose at the end of the day. So this $20 a day is like "in-house insurance" in a way. 

Most of the time, it is also to cover the higher mileage (more wear and tear) which will take place when the customer takes the car into Malaysia. They probably have statistics to know the mileage the average customer clocks in SG and Malaysia and they feel there is a need to charge more for people driving into Malaysia. 

• Praise 1

Better word is : Higher charge than extra charge since it is into up North whereby car can be lost or landed on wrong side of road, as most Local not familiar with Malaysia signage are in malay words.

Insurance is a must, at least sent the car for a clean check on brakes pad, radiator and coolant check and EO replacement, not forgetting Tyres not bald and pressure is correct. [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement