Guy near 40 looking to purchase first car

SkimMilk

Newbie here. Need to tap on experienced drivers' expertise.

I'm an old guy (near 40) who just got my Class 3 looking to get a AtoB ride for a family of 4.

Should I get a COE car for a start or should I invest in a brand new car (kind of stretching the pocket)?

I understand that as I'm a P plate, my insurance will be rather high?

What other stuff should I take note of for the different recommendations (COE vs brand new)?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I'm an old guy (near 40) who just got my Class 3 looking to get a AtoB ride for a family of 4.

Should I get a COE car for a start or should I invest in a brand new car (kind of stretching the pocket)?

What other stuff should I take note of for the different recommendations (COE vs brand new)?

my advice is not to get COE car if you can afford as you are not sure of the condition. if brand new car is a stretch, can consider a used car, age depending on your pocket.

How about consider to rent a car for few months to try out first?

see if you really need the car, and also how the other expenses such as fuel, parking, ERP affect your lifestyle ? 

Also, during this time, you can try renting different model of cars to see what type of car you really need / want. 

• Praise 21

Bec u r 40 , insurance will not be very high . But since u are P plate , no NCD meaning no discount on insurance as well. 

Avoid getting new car for first few yrs . New car , insurance more ex too.  2nd hand car will be good , say 2-3 yr left 

• Praise 15

A car with a year or less left would be cheap or you can get those few months left car and renew Coe, since you got to use a car, you probably won’t give up driving it so soon.

Use the old car for practise and not heartache if you rough it up.

• Praise 4

Bec u r 40 , insurance will not be very high . But since u are P plate , no NCD meaning no discount on insurance as well.

Avoid getting new car for first few yrs . New car , insurance more ex too. 2nd hand car will be good , say 2-3 yr left

No necessary new car = more ex insurance.

How about consider to rent a car for few months to try out first?

see if you really need the car, and also how the other expenses such as fuel, parking, ERP affect your lifestyle ? 

Also, during this time, you can try renting different model of cars to see what type of car you really need / want. 

Thanks. Any places to recommend? All I see is those short term rental ones which I find quite expensive.

And thanks to everyone else for your inputs, appreciate it!

I'm actually looking at COE cars in the range < 35k.

Or maybe a new car in the < 80k range.

Was thinking that spending < 35k for a 5 yr "training" may be a good start, but then there's the concern on used cars: No idea how to evaluate them, and whether maintaining them will become a chore instead.

• Praise 3

Buy a Toyota Corolla or Honda jazz with 1-2 yrs left

Will not be expensive to buy, will be reliable. If things spoil, cheap to repair

Both are good family cars

Then see how in 2 years time

• Praise 4

Supersonic

I suggest a COE car left between 2-3 years. But you have to inspect the old car properly before buying. There is an inspection list of checking 2nd hand cars.

Since you are still new in driving, get used to the driving conditions on the roads first. And if anything happens to the car (touch wood), you won't feel so heart pain since car not new. 

When you are more ready and more confident on the roads, and have the financials, go ahead and get a new car. It is an entirely different experience and satisfaction and also learn new things about buying new cars.

Thanks. Any places to recommend? All I see is those short term rental ones which I find quite expensive.

And thanks to everyone else for your inputs, appreciate it!

I'm actually looking at COE cars in the range < 35k.

Or maybe a new car in the < 80k range.

Was thinking that spending < 35k for a 5 yr "training" may be a good start, but then there's the concern on used cars: No idea how to evaluate them, and whether maintaining them will become a chore instead.

I do not have rental car company that I can recommend, perhaps other bros with the experience or contact can help you with it.

A to B family car with budget of up to 85k, buy a Toyota Altis or if the drive meant nothing to you, a Mitsubishi Attrage. As new as possible as it will get more expensive to own a car soon with our car lite policy.

Car taxes will probably go up in the next few years, it has been going up with ARF and recent VES changes, not to mention COE.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

IMO.. Being new, insurance will be high and without NCD.

Get an old coe car and buy third party u can build up your NCD and get familiarized at the same time.

Won't be too heavy on the pocket buying the car also.

I started off with coe car also..

• Praise 2

I think if you can afford under 80 you can try Kia k3 too.

It’s sometimes false economy to buy a used car because by the time you do up, it would cost quite a bit with no guarantee that all is good.

A to B family car with budget of up to 85k, buy a Toyota Altis or if the drive meant nothing to you, a Mitsubishi Attrage. As new as possible as it will get more expensive to own a car soon with our car lite policy.

Car taxes will probably go up in the next few years, it has been going up with ARF and recent VES changes, not to mention COE.

Altis only 85?

• Praise 6

(edited)

Started a thread for you. Have fun on the forum @skimmilk!

Thanks BabyBlade! :)

Buy a Toyota Corolla or Honda jazz with 1-2 yrs left

Will not be expensive to buy, will be reliable. If things spoil, cheap to repair

Both are good family cars

Then see how in 2 years time

Is it better to buy a car with a few years left as compared to a COE car?

Cos in terms of $, I'm seeing something like ~$25k for something with less than 2yrs left.

But I can see quite a few COE car like Honda Fit with 5 yrs for < 35k.

Besides the PARF, what are the benefits of buying a car with 1~2yrs left?

For insurance, I tried the FWD online quote with FWD25 discount code and see that it's below 2k for used Jazz/Fit for the cheapest plan.

Not sure if that is enough to cover?

What is "Comprehensive insurance"?

BTW: would love to praise your replies, but being too new to the forum, haven't accumulate enough points to praise.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Edited by SkimMilk
↡ Advertisement