COE Bidding – 2nd Round of March 2018

Carbon82

Not sure will LCR cars with high COE be acceptable to Grab new boss.

Since now the COE is 'lower' it will be wise to get new fleet of cars with lower COE depreciations.

Also maybe to stick to only 1 or 2 models of car to reduce maintenance cost and spare parts, etc.

I am worried the new Grab consortium might cause the COE demand to shoot up the sky very soon.

Fingers cross.

Really? I think the PHV scene is reaching plateau. Don't think they will be buying more cars to rent out to potential drivers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Consolidation always allows company to trim excess fats. In the past, 2 companies have excess unrented cars. With only 1 company, the spare unrented cars will be better managed downwards. Don’t forget, these excess cars are losing money for the company.

COE will only slide further down with consolidation.

• Praise 3

Consolidation always allows company to trim excess fats. In the past, 2 companies have excess unrented cars. With only 1 company, the spare unrented cars will be better managed downwards. Don’t forget, these excess cars are losing money for the company.

post-16870-0-98333700-1522126864_thumb.png

Turbocharged

Since now the COE is 'lower' it will be wise to get new fleet of cars with lower COE depreciations.

Also maybe to stick to only 1 or 2 models of car to reduce maintenance cost and spare parts, etc.

I am worried the new Grab consortium might cause the COE demand to shoot up the sky very soon.

Fingers cross.

I don't think Grab (or any of their rental partners) will purchase more cars due to lower premium COEs of current. If you have 100 cars in your backyard sitting idle having difficulty finding more drivers or selling away, why would you want to buy more?? It makes no sense. On top of that, with the Grab-Uber merger, I will expect operation to run lean - less cars sitting idle. All these PHV rental companies are desperately fighting for people to rent out their cars as we speak. 

My 5 cents.

Matter of time before this happens

Consolidation always allows company to trim excess fats. In the past, 2 companies have excess unrented cars. With only 1 company, the spare unrented cars will be better managed downwards. Donât forget, these excess cars are losing money for the company.

Wrong easier to control coz monopoly.

It is always the new entrants that disrupt the cost.

Look at the big 3 for how long have they charged high prices for data. Look at the current prices when the new entrants.

It is competition that push prices down, never monopoly where the one provider has no interest in reducing prices. Business point of view my concern is maximise profits.

Pushing coe a little higher would mean potentially charging people more, higher rentals, the same thing would happen to taxis a couple of years ago before uber came. Taxi fairs has always been increasing.

Edited by CH_CO

Fingers cross.

That is their Devine plan ...
  • Praise 1

A few significant things to look out:

1. The number of cars deregistered in Feb 2018 is significantly lower (4696 vs. the 6~7k range). If Mar is low again and it is quite possible due to the lower PQP, the quota will be much reduced for the next period. So, COE price reductions might have a speed bump.

2. 1st July is when the new VES is fully implemented. Most likely bigger car will be affected. Nett nett car price might still increase for these affected cars.

3. Consolidation of Grab & Uber likely to see consolidation of existing PVH vehicles fleet and possibly reduction of the fleet. So, this should reduce demand on COE.

4. COE is already at $38k range. So there is a limit to the reduction. No one knows the lowest. However, one thing for sure the waiting game strategy will have diminishing returns.

Good luck folks!

• Praise 5

Anyway from a alternate point of view, though singapore has always mentioned that they cannot afford to have more cars, they have failed to notice a trend.

The young people nowadays don't really consider cars as part of the must haves as compared to the 90 or 2000s where it was a form of social status.

As grab and uber are picking up gone are the long queues that does not seem to end in taxi stands.

That said, it is a good thing as the population is not so dependant on cars, coupled with the retirement of the baby boomers, it is likely the car owner population will decline as well.

• Praise 4

Have a joker which comment that I bad mouthing km, I am just highlighting the fact it is no difference if the person which is servicing the car is skilled.

Unless you telling me km have been giving extra value services which others cannot provide for that price point. If more expensive same service then the newbie account is trying to sell something right?

Got dislike for this.

"Service out side your problem. Bad mouth km"

not that a car will not break down having been  serviced by KM but at least they are more familiar with their models and they are more professional than most workshops outside. It is why I chose to go back to them in every alternate schedule when i was driving  Honda car.  I would still do most of the repair outside just to reduce cost. One will be silly to service transmission and replace rack and pinion by AD.  KM also offer recon parts to reduce overall price these days. 

AD's  price would certainly be more expensive but not really paying through the roof like what you have projected.

Anyway I have since switched out of Honda brand for coming to 3 years. Not advertising for KM.

Supersonic

Anyway from a alternate point of view, though singapore has always mentioned that they cannot afford to have more cars, they have failed to notice a trend.

The young people nowadays don't really consider cars as part of the must haves as compared to the 90 or 2000s where it was a form of social status.

As grab and uber are picking up gone are the long queues that does not seem to end in taxi stands.

That said, it is a good thing as the population is not so dependant on cars, coupled with the retirement of the baby boomers, it is likely the car owner population will decline as well.

I think it's more of the affordability of the younger generation these days. Jobs are hard to find these days. More young people are starting from part time and contractual jobs before they can move to a permanent job. Job market getting very competitive these days. And cars here keep artificially inflated in prices for the past years, how can they afford?

Actually the younger generation still want to get a car if they can. Some of my younger friends and colleagues started from a pre-owned car as their first car instead of rushing to buy new cars.

• Praise 1

My two cents on KM Mandai service staff.

Generally very good.

But will hard sell the engine cleaning/refreshing and change tyres.

Two years ago.

Send in my GF Jazz for normal service.

Background information 'The front tyres was changed to a Michelin XMM just one month prior' at a outside workshop.

During the pre-inspection where the staff will checks for dents/scratch, the staff took out a tyre depth tool and measure the front tire thread, and suggested that I should change the tyres since its BEYOND minimum thread.

I was surprised, but don't want to exposed or shame the hardworking staff, because who knows what will happen to the car once in went into the service bay.

I just said, I will get it changed outside and thanked him for the advice.

Anyway, as long as car is under warranty, I will always send it to AD for servicing.

• Praise 2

I think it's more of the affordability of the younger generation these days. Jobs are hard to find these days. More young people are starting from part time and contractual jobs before they can move to a permanent job. Job market getting very competitive these days. And cars here keep artificially inflated in prices for the past years, how can they afford?

Actually the younger generation still want to get a car if they can. Some of my younger friends and colleagues started from a pre-owned car as their first car instead of rushing to buy new cars.

To me this is actually better, competition is what singapore need not super inflation on basically everything.

Save up prepare for the next bigger opportunity why not

Edited by CH_CO

Turbocharged

Generally very good.

Two years ago.

Background information 'The front tyres was changed to a Michelin XMM just one month prior' at a outside workshop.

During the pre-inspection where the staff will checks for dents/scratch, the staff took out a tyre depth tool and measure the front tire thread, and suggested that I should change the tyres since its BEYOND minimum thread.

I was surprised, but don't want to exposed or shame the hardworking staff, because who knows what will happen to the car once in went into the service bay.

Anyway, as long as car is under warranty, I will always send it to AD for servicing.

Didn’t know Michelin has a tire model known as XMM.

Only know of XM2. [laugh]

• Praise 1

Generally very good.

Two years ago.

hahaha the guy said my tyres very chui liao on my last servicing at 40k km. Well i don't deny that they should be changed by the next servicing, the treadwear and the actual performance on the road is still ok.

yeah the engine stuff i refuse but the bill still came up to 700+ (think cos battery again )

Well 700 for battery change is ridicious , one battery only 100plus add workmanship 50 lesser than 200, plus serving and checks need 700?

Wow,my personal experience , just do whatever you think is best. I poor cannot afford premier service ,but my two cars never break down in the 10yrs. So to each of their own.

Twincharged

hahaha the guy said my tyres very chui liao on my last servicing at 40k km. Well i don't deny that they should be changed by the next servicing, the treadwear and the actual performance on the road is still ok.

yeah the engine stuff i refuse but the bill still came up to 700+ (think cos battery again )

Now ADs also acting like beng shops to squeeze the last dollar from you. Polish la. Refresh Aircon, engine flush. Coolant flush. All it does it to flush you money away from you.
↡ Advertisement