Mobile phone GPS problem

Kb27

Supersonic

Recently, I encounter gps problem.

I was using Uber driver app, then I added Grab driver app.

Both use and would launch Waze as navigation.

Sometimes after using for a while, Waze would suddenly freeze, not knowing what to do, like hanged.

I then turn on Google Map and it shows the same location problem as Waze. I'm not currently at that location, it was like a few km away.

So I suspect Location service has a problem.

I had 2 phones, LG V20 and G4, both having the same problem occasionally.

Once the problem started, rebooting the phone will fix it, until the next gps "loss"

Initial suspect is LG phones, but googling found that samsung phone users also reported experiencing this problem.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/667438-losing-gps-signal-how-can-i-stop.html

If you have any experience with losing gps, for no reason, and how you fix it, please share.

From the above link, the solution appears to be:

1. Switch off Wifi - Wifi degrade GPS signal.

2. Set GPS to device only, not High GPS which also use Wifi and network.

3. Remove battery optimization for Location Service.

For those who use and encounter this during navigation, it can be frustrating, when you have to reboot the phone.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Can also try clearing and updating AGPS data with this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en_GB

From my experience, using phone/tablet with mobile network works best. Tried to use an older phone without SIM card for navigation and it gives some problems which I believe is because of the weak GPS signal.

Another option is to use an external bluetooth GPS.

I'm not quite sure how to explain it but I think it has to do with the app refresh. For Android you have to manually close the app, clear the cache data (as you use the app the cache data will accumulate, I think the phone froze coz it reached its limit, you are constantly using it). For apple os users can choose which app to do background app refresh. Meaning when you exit and tab on the app again w/o closing it will refresh by restarting the app. I think it also auto clear the cache. Not sure how apple os works. But from my own experience between apple and android (I use both) if you want optimal performance from android you have to close the apps you are no longer using and clear the cache. For apple you don't really pay attention to all these as it doesn't affect the performance.

Supersonic
(edited)

Can also try clearing and updating AGPS data with this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en_GB

From my experience, using phone/tablet with mobile network works best. Tried to use an older phone without SIM card for navigation and it gives some problems which I believe is because of the weak GPS signal.

Another option is to use an external bluetooth GPS.

Thanks. I'll try the app next time it freeze.

It happen again once this morning. After reboot, it hasn't come back.

It's frustrating bcuz it's intermittent.

I haven't experience this, since it started a few days ago. I haven't change anything, hardware or software.

When I look at my Garmin, gps was still working properly at the time, the phone lost gps.

I'm not quite sure how to explain it but I think it has to do with the app refresh. For Android you have to manually close the app, clear the cache data (as you use the app the cache data will accumulate, I think the phone froze coz it reached its limit, you are constantly using it). For apple os users can choose which app to do background app refresh. Meaning when you exit and tab on the app again w/o closing it will refresh by restarting the app. I think it also auto clear the cache. Not sure how apple os works. But from my own experience between apple and android (I use both) if you want optimal performance from android you have to close the apps you are no longer using and clear the cache. For apple you don't really pay attention to all these as it doesn't affect the performance.

Android a bit difficult to waddle through to find the cache and clear.

At this time, I'd just reboot the phone (it's easier, although takes a few mins to come back) and it fix the problem.

I hope to be able to find the real cause of the problem and fix it once and for all.

Edited by Kb27

You can search how to go to recovery mode to clear your cache for all apps. Usually it's when phone off, press vol up + power and hold both but differs from phone to phone.

It won't affect anything but may clear some issues as Watwheels mentioned, but next boot and app run slightly sloewer at first. Be careful not to wipe/factory reset which is usually 1 option above clear cache.

Supersonic

It happened again last night, lost gps.

I tried a few apps to reset AGPS data, but it don't seem to work either.

I was in a hurry, so the best thing to do is reboot the phone.

Maybe, there is a software bug after all.

It happened again last night, lost gps.

I tried a few apps to reset AGPS data, but it don't seem to work either.

I was in a hurry, so the best thing to do is reboot the phone.

Maybe, there is a software bug after all.

Is it updated to latest Android available? Sometimes after major update it will be buggy after which can be fixed with a factory reset.

Common problems like WiFi Bluetooth Gps wonky after update. Nowadays manufacturers have a pc suite which can help u backup your apps sms etc, then reset and restore.

Supersonic

Is it updated to latest Android available? Sometimes after major update it will be buggy after which can be fixed with a factory reset.

Common problems like WiFi Bluetooth Gps wonky after update. Nowadays manufacturers have a pc suite which can help u backup your apps sms etc, then reset and restore.

V20 running on Android 7.0, latest update Nov 2017.

I try reset cache first. It was shifted to a different location, under settings, general, storage...Cached data.

Can't find it in Setting, apps.

I also download Gps Status, it seemed to be better. It auto runs when Waze is launched.

Then I set it to  download gps data every hr. Hope this will fix the gps problem.

hmm i also encountered the same prob last night. although mine hanged while in the tunnel and didnt recover even after exiting tunnel. think mine is different issue...

Turbocharged

I ever encountered the GPS hung when I was traveling along nshw. I gong gong went straight without bothering to look until I realised the damn thing hung and had to turn back

Supersonic

This morning gps navigation was working normally, until about 4 hrs later.

Then Waze froze again. No gps message keeps popping out regularly.

My real location was about 5 km away, by the time it hanged.

I stopped and check Google Map. It shows the same "past" location as Waze. So I'm convinced it's not Waze problem alone.

The culprit seemed to Location Service.

How this happen, I'm not sure.

But I'm beginning to suspect multiple gps data request from running 2 huge apps, Uber and Grab driver, could have confused the Location Service.

I reset app cache, no use.

The only cure is to reboot the phone.

↡ Advertisement