Thinking of selling my 4 years old Audi Q3 but....

beninsing

Hi,

There's something i don't understand and need help.

1 year ago (april 2017), i bought a second hand, 4 years old, Audi Q3 for 98k$ with a depre of 13+k/yr.

i'm thinking of selling it now to reduce my monthly and overall car cost (around 1.65k/mth incl loan, petrol, road tax, insurance, cashcard...).

i've inquired a couple of dealer and the best they offer is a whopping ... 71k (-27k from a year ago purchase)!!

i understand they need to feed their family and all but more than twice the depre? 

Now, my questions are

1) should i sell and find a very affordable suv (my wife request) and kinda losing 13+k (27k - depre) in the process?

2) could i catch higher price by ... dereg or scrap or sell oversea?

3) sell directly? ... but i'm worried about paper work, 10 or more people trying, ...

4) other option beside keeping it?

Thanks,

Ben

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hi,

1 year ago (april 2017), i bought a second hand, 4 years old, Audi Q3 for 98k$ with a depre of 13+k/yr.

i'm thinking of selling it now to reduce my monthly and overall car cost (around 1.65k/mth incl loan, petrol, road tax, insurance, cashcard...).

i've inquired a couple of dealer and the best they offer is a whopping ... 71k (-27k from a year ago purchase)!!

i understand they need to feed their family and all but more than twice the depre?

Now, my questions are

1) should i sell and find a very affordable suv (my wife request) and kinda losing 13+k (27k - depre) in the process?

3) sell directly? ... but i'm worried about paper work, 10 or more people trying, ...

Thanks,

Ben

Is your car 4 or 5 years old now? The best time to export the car will be around 5 years mark.

You can try to sell in on sgcarmart.

Edited by camrysfe
  • Praise 1

Hi,

Now, my questions are

Thanks,

Ben

Dealers are your last resort. They will slaughter your price like crazy, regardless of your car condition. Do make an effort to list on sgcarmart for a better price. In the ad, please put no dealers

Is your car 4 or 5 years old now? The best time to export the car will be around 5 years mark.

You can try to sell in on sgcarmart.

My car is now 5 years old.

I just went to check. There are 3 ways correct? post an ad ($58), bidding or consignment (?).

I will probably do 1st and last this weekend.

Thanks for the tip.

Dealers are your last resort. They will slaughter your price like crazy, regardless of your car condition. Do make an effort to list on sgcarmart for a better price. In the ad, please put no dealers

Thanks for the tip. I will try to post an ad and try consignment as well. Not sure how consignment works but i'll check.

Supercharged

Hi,

Now, my questions are

Thanks,

Ben

As other bros have pointed out, you can try other means to advertise and get better prices than dealer.

BUT.... at best you save a few more k depreciation. I believe you will need to pay at least 20k depre for your 1 year of usage. More if there is current issues with your ride (perhaps that is why you want to get rid of it).

Holding a car (1st or 2nd or nth hand) for short time like 1 year ... you are guaranteed to lose big big as dealers will lowball you everytime they transact. Do note 2nd/3rd hand Audis are risky business for them to take in, as market perception of the reliability is very poor and they may need long holding period or lelong price to move the stock.

So honestly if you can, and the ride is holding up, drive the car longer and you may lose a bit less than selling now and jumping on board another new ride/liability.

If you are selling away to move to taxi/grab/uber/mrt, then that is good financial sense, just absorb the hit and sell off.

Dereg option is stupid.... of course if you sell to dealer you are getting dereg $$ + some extra. They also know if they offer you less than dereg cost, you can just dereg it and get the cash directly.

• Praise 5

May we know what's ur asking price?

MAybe some pf our MCfers here are interested...

Dun worry , all full cash one::)))

• Praise 3

>5 year Audi and VW resale will be near dereg parity lah.

Dealers will all peg their offers similarly and severally.

Don’t even push your luck, pal!

• Praise 1

Hi TS,

I have a few questions,

1) Did u first get a free car quote from SGCar Mart?

2) Have u consider doing a STA certified car eval? Sometimes it's easier to sell the car if u had done a car eval to certifed it's accident free etc

3) Did u go showroom and check if trade in how much it's worth? (Maybe u wanted to downsize to a cheaper car?)

4) You should ask your friends or relatives if they are interested in buying over. Example my friends know I am a super safe driver and take best care of my car. When I want to change car, they will be the first to be interested to take over.

Yeah, dealer sure wants to earn from u but they normally add some buffer becos of the risk they have to take.

Edited by Darkseed73
  • Praise 2

this is true. i am also contemplating selling my ride of 1.5yrs and asking around, dealer take in at depreciation + (buffer and profit). buffer and profit can be around 10-15k

AD trade in price that i encountered is even worst....

i think the best is to sell yourself but this might take some time... i'm also hearing that in July 18, car price will increase due to VES again...

• Praise 1

Hi,

Now, my questions are

Thanks,

Ben

Ur Q3 is 1.4 or 2 liters?

If 2l , will be much easier let go...

Haha I went to kah motor today to test drive the jazz. The se say best they can do for my Jan 15 car is 5k above paper value. Lol...

I think it's unrealistic to try to sell based on the price that you have bought the car a year ago.

The used car value is always based on the parf + depreciated coe. That is what any dealer will offer you.

Ppl tend to say dealer low ball you whatever, No, they are quoting you the paper value, nothing more nothing less.

Of course when they sell they will mark up becoz they are running a business not a charity.

If you do not want to go thru a dealer the best is you do the selling on your own. You learn to do the paperwork. No free option.

It's the same. If you try selling it on your own ppl will low ball you too. These ppl will likely know how to calculate the paper value and offer only a bit more dan paper. They couldn't care less how much you bought it a year ago.

The car is already 5years old. Major parts will need replacements. And Audi parts are famous for costing a bomb.

Your call. I'm sure you will be able to see and compare.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2