Thinking of selling my 4 years old Audi Q3 but....

beninsing

Actually, thx to chenghu, $2k cost for car per month is becoming the norm liao.  I would even factor in $2.5 to 3k to be realistic if u wanna drive a decent conti car.

Now the other thing u need to know is number of owners.  if u are the 2nd owner, the next buyer would be the 3rd owner.  As a 3rd owner, I will definitely slash yr price.  Else I will look elsewhere.  

So, in todays context, it is unlike 15 to 20 years ago where people freely change cars every 2 to 3years.  These days u really gotta plan properly.  if i buy a new car nowadays I will keep it all the way to least 5 years.  If I buy 2nd hand, I will definitely drive until it is 10 years n possibly extend 10 yr COE.

Of cos the other option is, migrate to USA which is one of my plan.  Over there, for what I spend on my cars, I can probably have a Truck, 2 family cars, 1 small covertible n 1 supercar.  Somemore can make friend n go out with Joseph Schooling often.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hi,

There's something i don't understand and need help.

1 year ago (april 2017), i bought a second hand, 4 years old, Audi Q3 for 98k$ with a depre of 13+k/yr.

i'm thinking of selling it now to reduce my monthly and overall car cost (around 1.65k/mth incl loan, petrol, road tax, insurance, cashcard...).

i've inquired a couple of dealer and the best they offer is a whopping ... 71k (-27k from a year ago purchase)!!

i understand they need to feed their family and all but more than twice the depre?

Now, my questions are

1) should i sell and find a very affordable suv (my wife request) and kinda losing 13+k (27k - depre) in the process?

2) could i catch higher price by ... dereg or scrap or sell oversea?

3) sell directly? ... but i'm worried about paper work, 10 or more people trying, ...

4) other option beside keeping it?

Thanks,

Ben

If you change to an affordable SUV, how much will it cost per mth?

Now you're paying 1.65k, suppose u pay 1.3k with the next car, that's a 350 saving per mth.

Upfront u already lose 13k.

You'll take 37 months to break even the loss.

Maybe less if u factor in repairs.

You can post in sgcm. Some agents (not car dealers) will sms u their services to process the paperwork. They will even pay you a commission from the loan amount they earn from the buyer.

Or u can download the sgcarmart checklist to sell ur own vehicle. It's actually quite simple, just time consuming cos u gotta spend time allowing viewings, entertain low-ball offers, and if u manage to sell them the long waiting time at LTA for the transfer.

All the best.

• Praise 1

Hi TS,

I have a few questions,

1) Did u first get a free car quote from SGCar Mart?

2) Have u consider doing a STA certified car eval? Sometimes it's easier to sell the car if u had done a car eval to certifed it's accident free etc

3) Did u go showroom and check if trade in how much it's worth? (Maybe u wanted to downsize to a cheaper car?)

4) You should ask your friends or relatives if they are interested in buying over. Example my friends know I am a super safe driver and take best care of my car. When I want to change car, they will be the first to be interested to take over.

Yeah, dealer sure wants to earn from u but they normally add some buffer becos of the risk they have to take.

I think he should try to sell this 5 years old Q3 by himself first to understand how long it takes to find a buyer. It will be a pain and running cost to used-car dealer if this car takes many months to sell. Unavoidable some wear-and-tear parts may need replacement and paint touch up, all these are costs. I guess the used-car dealer also need to reserve a figure, in case of lemon law thing happens.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I think he should try to sell this 5 years old Q3 by himself first to understand how long it takes to find a buyer. It will be a pain and running cost to used-car dealer if this car takes many months to sell. Unavoidable some wear-and-tear parts may need replacement and paint touch up, all these are costs. I guess the used-car dealer also need to reserve a figure, in case of lemon law thing happens.

This lemon law thingy is wat dealers will probably tell seller to push down the price.

When buyer try to claim repair citing this same lemon law thingy, dealers will probably say smlj...

• Praise 1

This lemon law thingy is wat dealers will probably tell seller to push down the price.

When buyer try to claim repair citing this same lemon law thingy, dealers will probably say smlj...

I think most local dealers are rarely spending thousands to repair deteriorating major parts like transmission and engine, most of time they will only engage workshop to do some simple touchup or temporary solutions. Most of them will take a bet nothing serious will happen. Even if it does happen, they will bet they can get away paying nothing or a fraction only. If major parts breakdown, even a fraction, can be not cheap.

Edited by Odyssey2011

Hi,

There's something i don't understand and need help.

1 year ago (april 2017), i bought a second hand, 4 years old, Audi Q3 for 98k$ with a depre of 13+k/yr.

i'm thinking of selling it now to reduce my monthly and overall car cost (around 1.65k/mth incl loan, petrol, road tax, insurance, cashcard...).

i've inquired a couple of dealer and the best they offer is a whopping ... 71k (-27k from a year ago purchase)!!

i understand they need to feed their family and all but more than twice the depre? 

Now, my questions are

1) should i sell and find a very affordable suv (my wife request) and kinda losing 13+k (27k - depre) in the process?

2) could i catch higher price by ... dereg or scrap or sell oversea?

3) sell directly? ... but i'm worried about paper work, 10 or more people trying, ...

4) other option beside keeping it?

Thanks,

Ben

if Q3 is already with you, I suggest that you keep the car and continue driving it. The depreciation of 27k in 1 year is too much to handle IMHO. Trying to lose extra 14k depreciation in order to save a couple of hundreds a month in maintenance/car upkeep does not make much sense to me.

Its like trying to save 30cents by spending $1. I will choose to continue driving. 

• Praise 1

As other bros have pointed out, you can try other means to advertise and get better prices than dealer.

BUT.... at best you save a few more k depreciation. I believe you will need to pay at least 20k depre for your 1 year of usage. More if there is current issues with your ride (perhaps that is why you want to get rid of it).

Holding a car (1st or 2nd or nth hand) for short time like 1 year ... you are guaranteed to lose big big as dealers will lowball you everytime they transact. Do note 2nd/3rd hand Audis are risky business for them to take in, as market perception of the reliability is very poor and they may need long holding period or lelong price to move the stock.

So honestly if you can, and the ride is holding up, drive the car longer and you may lose a bit less than selling now and jumping on board another new ride/liability.

If you are selling away to move to taxi/grab/uber/mrt, then that is good financial sense, just absorb the hit and sell off.

Dereg option is stupid.... of course if you sell to dealer you are getting dereg $$ + some extra. They also know if they offer you less than dereg cost, you can just dereg it and get the cash directly.

Agree. All you guys make a lot of sense.

I will not through dealers for sure.

I will try to sell it directly or by consignment, even below depreciation will not make me lose as much money and it will be also advantageous to potential buyers.

If i can't sell at the price i wish, i will continue driving it. 

if Q3 is already with you, I suggest that you keep the car and continue driving it. The depreciation of 27k in 1 year is too much to handle IMHO. Trying to lose extra 14k depreciation in order to save a couple of hundreds a month in maintenance/car upkeep does not make much sense to me.

Its like trying to save 30cents by spending $1. I will choose to continue driving. 

Totally agree. 

if i can't sell to the price i wish, i will continue driving it. 

May we know what's ur asking price?

MAybe some pf our MCfers here are interested...

Dun worry , all full cash one::)))

I'm thinking of selling it around 82-83k (29/11/2012).

;)

Twincharged

I will try to sell it directly or by consignment,

sell it only directly or bite the bullet and sell to dealers.

consignment is the worst. your car will be the consignment agents lunch bus.

Supersonic

sell it only directly or bite the bullet and sell to dealers.

consignment is the worst. your car will be the consignment agents lunch bus.

Or be used as the consignment dealer to lure in buyer so that he can sell them his own stock instead

I think car sales must be really bad now.

I received a msg from my Nissan se yesterday. He said my 3.5 year old sss has 71k coe and now coe is 37k so worth changing car to cut loss. I don't understand why must cut loss but I politely declined say I am happy with car and no intent to change. Tan Chong's nissan car list now also pathetic, (except gtr but way beyond me). Unless they are able to bring in new turbocharged altima (teana).

I think car sales must be really bad now.

I received a msg from my Nissan se yesterday. He said my 3.5 year old sss has 71k coe and now coe is 37k so worth changing car to cut loss. I don't understand why must cut loss but I politely declined say I am happy with car and no intent to change. Tan Chong's nissan car list now also pathetic, (except gtr but way beyond me). Unless they are able to bring in new turbocharged altima (teana).

2019 got TC altima? Not that i'm aware of.

The 2019 mz6 will have 2.5L turbo from the cx-9. But other than the current accord, the japs aren't really going TC. 

The toyota camry hybrid just got good reviews. Handles likes a previous gen accord which is mine but have good acceleration due to hybrid and excellent FC, a new standard in executive sedan  [thumbsup]

My COE 75k. i went kah motor and basically kana low balled at 4-5k above scrap value.  

@columbian78, the i30 should be up your alley.

2019 got TC altima? Not that i'm aware of.

The 2019 mz6 will have 2.5L turbo from the cx-9. But other than the current accord, the japs aren't really going TC.

The toyota camry hybrid just got good reviews. Handles likes a previous gen accord which is mine but have good acceleration due to hybrid and excellent FC, a new standard in executive sedan [thumbsup]

My COE 75k. i went kah motor and basically kana low balled at 4-5k above scrap value.

@columbian78, the i30 should be up your alley.

Yes, just shown few weeks ago but not selling yet. I think might be an american market only. Its the new 2 litre variable comp turbo, same as in the infiniti qx50. If u google 2019 altima can find it easily. Looks good to me.

Now mazda6 accord and altima all turbo liao but not sure these will be made available here, also depends on the new taxes.

You mean i30N? I family man and prefer sedans. If not will be estate or even suv. My existing car hard to replace without spending a huge bomb.

Edited by Columbian78

I'm thinking of selling it around 82-83k (29/11/2012).

;)

1.4 or 2l model? Edited by Freeder

Yes, just shown few weeks ago but not selling yet. I think might be an american market only. Its the new 2 litre variable comp turbo, same as in the infiniti qx50. If u google 2019 altima can find it easily. Looks good to me.

Now mazda6 accord and altima all turbo liao but not sure these will be made available here, also depends on the new taxes.

You mean i30N? I family man and prefer sedans. If not will be estate or even suv. My existing car hard to replace without spending a huge bomb.

i saw the i30 wagon in komoco. Looks quite nice i have to admit.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_photos.php?CarCode=12275

I'm like you. Though I'll only want to drive sedans or wagons.

i drove the jazz on saturday, made me motion sick and my wife also in the backseat. Just a slightly higher driving position.  [dead]  -_-

yeah the bomb part ... 

But like u, i still enjoy my ride a lot though no TC haha  [:p]

oh ok. I'm not really a fan of the altima though i almost bought it! So i never really pay attention. It was launched at the NY autoshow.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement