Fatal Accidents - Driver or Road Problem?

Aventador

Traffic lights is the easiest way out to solve pedestrian crossing. And when you look at how LTA do things here, you should know they always like to find the easiest way to solve the problem, if problem cannot solve, they just leave it there forever.

agree... they keep on adding traffic lights for pedestrian crossings. In some places, they add pedestrian crossing 20-30m away, what's wrong with walking?

↡ Advertisement

So you get my drift? It's a 'driver problem'.

Clearly 'driver problem'. It's all about driving/riding attitudes. You can have the biggest and most prominent road signs, super bright colored traffic lights, super safe traffic road designs. But at the end of the day, if the users do not have the correct attitude, the hardwares are all useless.

That's why whenever i see driver died while driving overseas, i don't feel sorry for them.

Supercharged

Sometimes our public servants overdo the greening thingy, planting trees and hedges too near junctions and car park entrances/exits. Example are the hedges that hide the Bishan Park entrance/exit opp the AMK Ave 1 hawker centre and the trees newly planted in front of Bishan Fire Station at the junction of Marymount Lane and Marymount Road.

• Praise 2

Sometimes our public servants overdo the greening thingy, planting trees and hedges too near junctions and car park entrances/exits. Example are the hedges that hide the Bishan Park entrance/exit opp the AMK Ave 1 hawker centre and the trees newly planted in front of Bishan Fire Station at the junction of Marymount Lane and Marymount Road.

Use mytransportapp to feedback to LTA.

Like this many driver should be very frustrated if they are driving along Balestier Rd?! Cause i think this stretch of road way too many traffic light!

The number of traffic light at the stretch of Balestier Road is nothing compare to Yishun Ring Road.

More traffic light also become a problem, thought it can slow down traffic in high populated area. Without traffic light vehicle will zoom faster ?

Speaking of some road design fault might lead to accident. Saw news on tv yesterday, LTA is constructing a new underpass at PIE to replace the existing exit 26A, since currently this exit is located on the right side of the expressway. And now they find that it is dangerous to have an exit on the right side of an expressway. But funny thing is this exit has been there for dont know how many decades liao, and now then they realise this flaw?  [:|]

https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=1&id=86418817-f460-46dc-968e-899406316b2d

This shows how lacking proper planning is at LTA - the flyover was widen by 1 lane just recently, and they should have taken the opportunity to move the exit to the left and move under the flyover, and widen the flyover on the right (going towards Jurong).

Now patch here patch there like koyok.  And spending much more tax payers' money to dig a tunnel.

• Praise 1

More traffic light also become a problem, thought it can slow down traffic in high populated area. Without traffic light vehicle will zoom faster ?

Why not install speed camera like Lentor Ave?

The Clementi case. The MPV driver was approaching the junction way too fast. The taxi driver was slowly peering out before making the turn. I guess he could not react in time.

And I have seen many cases just like the MPV going at very fast speed across junctions refusing to slow down. Some even honked to indicate they have no intention of slowly down.

Come on la. Yes, you may have the right of way, but human lives take precedent above all else. And it may be YOUR life.

I was quite surprised that many claimed that it is 100% not your fault if you have the right of way .. I mean in the forums, WhatsApp chat groups and even among personal friends. This is the society we live in today.
  • Praise 1

shrubs is a problem all over the island as no maintenance unless reported is a blind spot

I was quite surprised that many claimed that it is 100% not your fault if you have the right of way .. I mean in the forums, WhatsApp chat groups and even among personal friends. This is the society we live in today.

Maybe you should encourage them to accelerate since they have right of way.

If they kenna accident and have to bear with complication of whiplash for the rest of their live, tell them orbigood (in your heart, of course).

I reckon roundabout would be better to slow down traffic than traffic light junction. seeing green light ahead one might or might not want to slow down. however a round about definitely must slow down. Edited by Kopites

Supersonic

Rubbish la.

Seriously, driving schools really need to educate drivers what is the actual right of way. Right of way in intersections, not right of way due to ego and impatient.

I reckon roundabout would be better to slow down traffic than traffic light junction. seeing green light ahead one might or might not want to slow down. however a round about definitely must slow down.

Singapore drivers have no ideas how to filter round around.  Even Newton Circus got traffic light.

Rubbish la.

Seriously, driving schools really need to educate drivers what is the actual right of way. Right of way in intersections, not right of way due to ego and impatient.

Ego says that whoever brake first is the loser. Just last week a double-decker bus cut me from the left in a merging lane. I slowed down and let him pass, then he tried to cut the car in front of me. The car die die didn’t let the bus pass and went side by side with inches between them . After the merging portion the car changed lane and sped away... he won over the bus . I lost, and I don’t care as long as everyone is safe.

Singapore drivers have no ideas how to filter round around. Even Newton Circus got traffic light.

actually I am referring to those small small one lane roundabout. Those you see in Australia city. safety concerns should be better than traffic light as driver must slow down.

newton too big.

Edited by Kopites

Ego says that whoever brake first is the loser. Just last week a double-decker bus cut me from the left in a merging lane. I slowed down and let him pass, then he tried to cut the car in front of me. The car die die didn’t let the bus pass and went side by side with inches between them . After the merging portion the car changed lane and sped away... he won over the bus . I lost, and I don’t care as long as everyone is safe.

Got the video?  [thumbsup]

:D

It has been disturbing me all weekend, what do you think is the root cause

Is it a road design issue in general, or are drivers here in Singapore become more callous and careless?

Or is everyone so tired, stressed/over worked that rushing around with no concentration while driving?

I say, the problem is with both.

Starting from the drivers, we Singaporeans are a bloody snobbish self-entitled impatient numbskull drivers on the road. Harsh words, but let's not sugarcoat our words for our fellow drivers with a fragile heart. Yes, we do have drivers (plenty in fact) who thinks they can get away with just about anything. They try their luck once, twice, thrice.... they got away with it and thinks they will always be that lucky. A good portion of us are either anti-policy or anti-institution (I'm being kind enough not to say some are literally outright anti-government) so they will never ever learn to respect rules put in place to safeguard every road user.

Next, we have our grossly over-rated I-know-it-all almighty but still draconian LTA who can't seemed to work out the best road designs based on road usage. This is evident in many out-of-common-sense road restrictions, merging lane designs and junctions. Picture paints a thousand words, actual road system probably kill ten thousand more brains. Particularly at junctions with high volume of traffic, it is always a better policy to have traffic on both ends come to complete stops before allowing either side to turn. The speed of LTA's adaption to actual on-the-ground situations is probably the most glaring. Just look at the knee-jerk policies to personal mobility devices or to ride-hailing apps without any real long-term solutions, need I say more?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6