2018 Kia Cerato K3 / Forte (BD Series) + 2021 Facelift

Thecarboy302

Disappointingly, the new 2019 K3’s engine & gearbox will be a carry over from the existing K3, to avoid incurring the $10K VES penalty.

The current engine is more than a decade old, first used in the 2014 Kia Cerato seen here -

It will not come with the more refined and fuel efficient SmartStream engine mated to a CVT gearbox.

Overall kerb weight is also heavier so pick up is expected to be sluggish, with a thirst no better than the average 9 to 11km/litre.

Confirmed specs from C&C? Any estimated timeframe when the launch will happen? Hoping they at least make ESC/VSM and 6 airbags standard across the range. 

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

It will come in 3 variants (L, EX & SX), with specs similar to the existing K3.

Soft launch expected to be on the last week of June - but you must place a $2,000 deposit.

The main concern is the sluggish pick up and high fuel consumption.

With  Cat B COE at an all time low, C&C should bring in the 1.8l model, which at least has adequate power to move this heavy weight.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

The hump on the centre of the floor at the rear is significanltly higher than the existing model and will eat into the rear leg room.

post-27974-0-52456300-1528423090_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Disappointingly, the new 2019 K3’s engine & gearbox will be a carry over from the existing K3, to avoid incurring the $10K VES penalty.

The current engine is more than a decade old, first used in the 2014 Kia Cerato seen here -

It will not come with the more refined and fuel efficient SmartStream engine mated to a CVT gearbox.

Overall kerb weight is also heavier so pick up is expected to be sluggish, with a thirst no better than the average 9 to 11km/litre.

If they're bringing in the new model with the old engines, then I would consider it.

I'm driving the 2009 Cerato Forte and the new engine is really reliabilty with no major issues other then wear and tear parts. 

The downside is the it being very underpowered (due to heavy car) and the fuel consumption is very high for a 1.6l car.

- I'm averaging 10.5 to 11km/l (considering I'm driving 70% highway)

- Worse I've got was 8 to 9km/l for 100% city driving.

My sister's BMW 316i can get 12 to 14km/l with 70% highway and 10 to 11km/l for 80% city driving.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Nothing special. Even if u got the USA spec 2.0 that they get standard there.

Especially considered the elantra still physically looks nicer than it.

It comes down to the price point vs the Elantra i guess.

Can see on the road that no one has bothered to buy a K3 for the last 1 year due to C&C's pricing.

• Praise 1

Nothing special. Even if u got the USA spec 2.0 that they get standard there.

Especially considered the elantra still physically looks nicer than it.

It comes down to the price point vs the Elantra i guess.

Can see on the road that no one has bothered to buy a K3 for the last 1 year due to C&C's pricing.

I see most new Ceratos on the roads recently are all the base L models.
  • Praise 1

If they're bringing in the new model with the old engines, then I would consider it.

I'm driving the 2009 Cerato Forte and the new engine is really reliabilty with no major issues other then wear and tear parts. 

The downside is the it being very underpowered (due to heavy car) and the fuel consumption is very high for a 1.6l car.

- I'm averaging 10.5 to 11km/l (considering I'm driving 70% highway)

- Worse I've got was 8 to 9km/l for 100% city driving.

My sister's BMW 316i can get 12 to 14km/l with 70% highway and 10 to 11km/l for 80% city driving.

Are the engines in the 2013 onwards K3 same as that in the 2009-2013 Forte?

Agree that the old 2009 engines are reliable but underpowered and relatively high FC.

It only became slightly better when I accidentally damaged my stock rims and had to change them for something lighter. So at least acceleration became better.

• Praise 1

It will come in 3 variants (L, EX & SX), with specs similar to the existing K3.

Soft launch expected to be on the last week of June - but you must place a $2,000 deposit.

The main concern is the sluggish pick up and high fuel consumption.

With Cat B COE at an all time low, C&C should bring in the 1.8l model, which at least has adequate power to move this heavy weight.

This is basic marketing strategy by C&C rather than Kia... they're watching their bottom line... anyway Komoco is selling the latest Elantra with the newer Smartstream engines which they advertise as helping the car achieve the neutral banding for the VES for July 2018 onwards... this will put pressure on C&C to do the same otherwise their K3s will become super uncompetitive... may go the way of the Mitsubishi Lancer...
  • Praise 1

Coming soon as confirm by CNC.

Can register thru them if interested.

Was told at roadshow that the new model will launch probably first 2 weeks of July. Can put down refundable deposit for early bird special and first to test drive.

The brochure states EX and above will have rear air-con vents btw. Sadly still using the existing engine.

Think as long as our VES and COE structure doesn't change we would still be using these 1.6L engines 20 years later. 

• Praise 1

Was told at roadshow that the new model will launch probably first 2 weeks of July. Can put down refundable deposit for early bird special and first to test drive.

The brochure states EX and above will have rear air-con vents btw. Sadly still using the existing engine.

Think as long as our VES and COE structure doesn't change we would still be using these 1.6L engines 20 years later.

This is real disappointing....still using the under power gamma engine and old gearbox. What CnC trying to do?
  • Praise 1

This is real disappointing....still using the under power gamma engine and old gearbox. What CnC trying to do?

Well if they have a cheap cheap price, someone will buy it..

Who needs airbags, new engines, nice safety features and service when it's cheap right?

That's the model that appeals to a lot of Singaporeans.. 

• Praise 1

Well if they have a cheap cheap price, someone will buy it..

Who needs airbags, new engines, nice safety features and service when it's cheap right?

That's the model that appeals to a lot of Singaporeans.. 

Yea price is all that matters here. If there is no airbag also people will buy. 

See Altis Civic all those still using the same 1.6L with little change as of last decade people still buy. Some say that looking at the volume the 1.6L sells meant that most Singaporeans think is sufficient power, but to me that is BS.

Is because we don't even have a choice to begin with.

• Praise 2

Guess is they will stick to the auto gearbox too instead of the ivt, and minus all the smart safety features to keep price down.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

So can go see look the car in the showroom in July liao?!

• Praise 1

Yea price is all that matters here. If there is no airbag also people will buy. 

See Altis Civic all those still using the same 1.6L with little change as of last decade people still buy. Some say that looking at the volume the 1.6L sells meant that most Singaporeans think is sufficient power, but to me that is BS.

Is because we don't even have a choice to begin with.

Buyers make the difference... see what happened to the Corolla.. they realised they had to keep up with the times..

Likewise with the Thai HRV --> Japanese version. If we insist on quality over price, things will change.

But if we remains as we are and go cheap cheap, then the two airbag, basic version will continue to have it's place...

Did the brochure state airbag count among the 3 trims? ESC/VSM still only on top trim? 

• Praise 2

Chris Tan tries to put a positive spin on the car:

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/certified-cool

Style and price.. plus more refinement 

Same engine, less power, new gearbox, better build and room. 

One of the biggest reasons for Kia's success has been the design of its cars, which have grown more attractive with each generation. The other reason is that the brand offers more car for less money.

Indeed, the previous Cerato, which was launched in 2013, had a lot going for it. The range-topping SX variant had six airbags, a blind spot monitor and ventilated front seats - features that you would normally find in more expensive models.

After the 2016 update, the SX lost the blind spot monitor, but gained high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps and a sunroof.

Kia is using the same design-driven formula in the new Cerato, which will garner lots of interest based on its styling alone.

While the new cockpit is a mixed bag, the car's overall refinement is a marked improvement over its predecessor's.

Chalk that up to the amount of high-strength steel used, which has grown from 34 to 54 per cent, and the total amount of adhesive used, which is nearly six times more than in the outgoing model.

Noise, vibration and harshness are less palpable and engine noise is less intrusive too. This is just as well since you will have to work the motor hard if you want to make progress.

↡ Advertisement