All About Automotive Recalls

Carbon82

By right, PI should have gotten the notification from the manufacturer or dealers that sold them the car, and then the details to be reported and uploaded to LTA website for viewing by the public and necessary follow-up.

For one of my previous car I had, the PI did call me to inform me about the recall and make arrangements for the rectification (part is free but I have to pay labor charges, which I am perfectly fine with it).

thank you for the information!

how about when the PI that imported the car already folded?

And that imported vehicle end up being the only piece of its kind on local road. 

the LTA for the recall does not list anything for the vehicle.

but in overseas, UK, where the car was imported from based on Overseas VIN check.

there is a recall for a part of the car to be replaced.

↡ Advertisement

thank you for the information!

how about when the PI that imported the car already folded?

And that imported vehicle end up being the only piece of its kind on local road. 

the LTA for the recall does not list anything for the vehicle.

but in overseas, UK, where the car was imported from based on Overseas VIN check.

there is a recall for a part of the car to be replaced.

I had a lot of faith in PI cars, previously.

I lost it 2 yr ago.

In 2006 Jan, I bought a Toyota Wish from a reputable and respectable PI.

In recent years, there were so many documented cases of Takata airbag recalls. Toyota Wish of around that time (when I bought mine) was not spared.

I had renewed the COE in Jan 2016.

Around May 16, I called up the PI, who has been in biz for decades and is still doing decently well, i think, and asked about the recall and whether my car was affected.

The PI after asking some details of my car, actually had the cheek to tell me that they will handle recall cases only for cars that are less than 10 year old, and cares beyond 10 yr are owners' responsibilities (problem...).

I was shocked, and proceeded to check with LTA, who told me that there's no such things. As long as a car is still on the road (not exported or scrapped), the importer has to handle the recall. And LTA can force even the PIs to activate/initiate the recall. However, LTA cannot encroach on the area of payments... This means that if the PI/dealer refuses to do the recall FOC, and want to charge a high price, LTA can't do anything too.

Lucky my car wasn't affected.

But it was enough to make me lose faith in the PIs, (and to an extent, also LTA).

• Praise 5

That was what made the case super complicated. Although she is theoretical at fault for not following the recall instructions (to have her SUV fixed), but if she has valid proof to show that she did not receive the recall notices, then the onus is now on the manufacturer, Ford.

Think about it, if the product a manufacturer is selling has risk of catching fire, or for the matter of fact, any risk that could potentially resulted in serious accident / injury / fatality, the manufacturer have the duty and obligation to reach out to the customers and get it fixed ASAP, through all available means, and that is my view on the topic.

By right, PI should have gotten the notification from the manufacturer or dealers that sold them the car, and then the details to be reported and uploaded to LTA website for viewing by the public and necessary follow-up.

For one of my previous car I had, the PI did call me to inform me about the recall and make arrangements for the rectification (part is free but I have to pay labor charges, which I am perfectly fine with it).

Vw singapor also have vehicles recall but some of the owner either BOH Hui or thinking there’s a way not to do it to extend the warranty.,

Until something bad happens it’s going to be a situation of

“ how I know so serious “

Or

“ if it’s so serious it’s should be like a army recall exercise n broadcast in 4 languages on the tv n radio “

Always blame someone else

Edited by Sdf4786k

BMW Recalls 324,000 Diesels In Europe Due To Potential Fire Risk

dc99189d-bmw-recalls-324k-cars-in-europe

BMW is now recalling as many as 324,000 diesel-powered models in Europe in order to fix a technical issue that has already caused fires in South Korea.

At fault is an exhaust gas recirculation module specific to BMW diesel cars, which has led to 27 engine fires and the recall of 106,000 vehicles in South Korea, where BMW Korea chairman, Kim Hyo-Joon has also issued an apology.

“For the recent series of fire incidents happened in the country, we sincerely apologize for causing worry and anxiety among people and government authorities,” stated Hyo-Joon during a press conference this past Monday.

As of this week, 13 South Korean owners of BMW vehicles have filed class action lawsuits against the Bavarian automaker, asking for compensation worth 5 million won ($4,447) each – arguing that they have been unable to drive their cars out of fear.

Automotive News Europe reports that BMW is now prepared to recall European models, with 96,300 vehicles affected in Germany alone, as per German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

While BMW said that it knew about these issues since 2016, the automaker had only identified the root cause in June of this year. As for which diesel-powered models are involved, a previous report calls out the 520d, although we suspect several other nameplates to be part of this recall.

• Praise 5

Some Subaru Ascent Owners to Get a Brand-New Model Thanks to a Recall

51fd0f01-2019-subaru-ascent-9.jpg

The Subaru Ascent recently went on sale in the United States and it’s already a hit with consumers as the model is out selling the Legacy.

Unfortunately, the early success is being marred by a slightly unusual recall which will see owners of the crossover being given a brand-new model.

While most recalls simply involve a minor fix and a visit to the dealership, Consumer Reports says this issue is significantly more complex as some of the welding robots at the plant that builds the Ascent were improperly programmed. As a result, “some of the spot welds around the B-pillar were missed and the strength of the vehicle’s body may be reduced, potentially increasing the risk of injury in the event of a crash.”

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration isn’t aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from the recall, but Subaru says it affects 293 Ascents. However, a Subaru spokesperson told the publication that only nine of the models have been sold to consumers and remaining vehicles are on dealership lots or in transit.

While only nine consumers are impacted by the recall, Subaru is taking the unusual step of their replacing their Ascent with a new one. It’s doubtful that owners have logged too many miles on the recalled crossovers – as it involves Ascents built between July 13 and July 21 – but those nine people will be getting a new model.

While it’s rare for automakers to fully replace recalled vehicles, Consumer Reports noted it has happened twice in the past two years. These recalls involved the Jaguar XF and a handful of Volkswagen models including the Eos, Golf, GTI, Passat, Tiguan and Touareg.

Subaru Destroys Recalled Ascents Because It Can't Fix Them

2019-subaru-ascent-review.jpg

A problem with the welding robots' programming caused them to miss some welds.

A handful of 2019 Subaru Ascent owners will get a brand new SUV to replace their existing one because it'll be the only solution for a recent recall. On 293 of the new crossovers, the company didn't make the correct spot welds on the B-pillar during manufacturing. This problem could increase the risk of injury in a crash.

"All potentially affected vehicles will be inspected by an SIA factory representative, and if the vehicle is missing any spot welds, the vehicle will be replaced with a new one. There is no physical remedy available; therefore, any vehicles found with missing welds will be destroyed," according to the company's documents submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Subaru manufactured the affected vehicles from July 13 to July 21, 2018. Improper software programming for the welding robots caused them to miss the spot welds.

The company also issued a stop sale on any unsold Ascents from this period until a factory representative has inspected them.

Subaru discovered the problem on July 21 when a routine sampling inspection at the Indiana factory showed vehicle with missing spot welds around the B-pillar. The company concluded its investigation into the issue on July 26 and ordered this recall.

A company spokesperson told Consumer Reports that it had only sold nine Ascents with this problem. The rest were still at dealers when the automaker discovered the issue.

Subaru has delivered 6,486 examples of the Ascent in 2018, including 4,589 of them in July.

The firm delivered its first unit of the SUV in June.

• Praise 5

Prius, CHR owners pls take note...
dunno SG ones affected or not...
[sweatdrop]

Toyota recalls 1 million Prius, C-HR models on risk of fire
Fourth-generation Toyota Prius cars at the company's Tsutsumi assembly plant in Toyota City, Aichi, Japan on Dec 8, 2017.PHOTO: AFP
PUBLISHED
2 HOURS AGO
UPDATED
2 HOURS AGO

TOKYO (BLOOMBERG) - Toyota Motor is recalling more than a million of its Prius and C-HR compact crossover vehicles globally due to the risk of fire.

Of the 1.03 million affected vehicles, 554,000 will be called back in Japan and 192,000 in the US, according to Jean-Yves Jault, a company spokesman.

There has been one reported case of a vehicle emitting smoke, but no injuries were reported, he said on Wednesday (Sept 5).

An engine wire harness connected to the power control unit is at risk of wear over time, potentially leading to a short circuit or even a fire, the company said in a statement.

The recall affects every one of the current-generation Prius, including a plug-in variant, and the hybrid version of the C-HR made until May of this year. The latest Prius began production in 2015 and the C-HR debuted in December 2016.

It’s one of the largest recalls for Toyota unrelated to Takata Corp airbags or 2009’s unintended acceleration crisis.

In 2016, Toyota also recalled some 2.87 million cars including the Prius for leaky fuel tanks, and a further 1.43 million mainly Prius vehicles for non-Takata air bags.

• Praise 3

PI la... obviously

Incidentally i can share a bit about this, as i've a 12.75 yr old PI car.

PIs - as all car dealers - are supposed to be responsible for any recall of any vehicles they sold new. This doesn't change even if the car has its COE renewed. This is according to LTA.

However, some PIs might try to shirk their responsibility, esp if the car is more than 10 year old (which was the case for me).

LTA however, has said that they can force the PIs to contact the current owners if there's any recall - if the PIs are irresponsible.

Sounds good so far? There's where it ends, unfortunately.

The power of LTA stops there. They can force PIs to contact the owners, and arrange with workshops for the car owners to go to for the recall. But LTA cannot force the PIs to pay for the recall, and it is up to the PIs on how they want to deal with the financial arrangements.

This means PIs can say they are not going to pay, and the owners will have to pay...

In the case of ADs, they will almost certainly do it for free, as they can claim from the principal. The PIs almost certainly can't do this, hence the reluctance of them to pay. But of course there might be some good and responsible PIs who might pay.

Hope this is useful.

• Praise 2

Singapore ones affected.

More than 4,000 Toyota Prius cars in Singapore affected by global safety recall
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/toyota-prius-in-singapore-affected-by-global-recall-10687336

SINGAPORE: A total of 4,115 Toyota Prius cars in Singapore are affected by the Japanese carmaker's global safety recall due to an issue with the engine wire harness which can pose a fire risk.

Toyota announced on Wednesday (Sep 5) that it is recalling about 1.03 million hybrid vehicles in Japan, North America, Europe and other regions. The affected models, built between June 2015 and May 2018 include Prius, Prius PHV and C-HR.

Borneo Motors, the authorised distributor for Toyota in Singapore, said it will be reaching out to Prius customers to check their vehicles, and if necessary, conduct repairs at no cost.

For the parallel-imported C-HR HV models, Borneo Motors said it will work with Toyota Motor and the Land Transport Authority to "support" the models. 

In a media alert, Borneo Motors explained that the affected vehicles have an engine wire harness which is connected to the hybrid vehicle Power Control unit.

“A portion of the wire harness could contact the cover at this connection and wear over time, causing an electrical short circuit, which can generate heat," it said. "If sufficient heat is generated, there is an increased risk of a vehicle fire."

“Safety continues to remain our number one priority and we are focused on putting our customers and people first by taking swift and appropriate action,” Borneo Motors added.

• Praise 2

Singapore ones affected.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/toyota-prius-in-singapore-affected-by-global-recall-10687336

SINGAPORE: A total of 4,115 Toyota Prius cars in Singapore are affected by the Japanese carmaker's global safety recall due to an issue with the engine wire harness which can pose a fire risk.

Toyota announced on Wednesday (Sep 5) that it is recalling about 1.03 million hybrid vehicles in Japan, North America, Europe and other regions. The affected models, built between June 2015 and May 2018 include Prius, Prius PHV and C-HR.

Borneo Motors, the authorised distributor for Toyota in Singapore, said it will be reaching out to Prius customers to check their vehicles, and if necessary, conduct repairs at no cost.

For the parallel-imported C-HR HV models, Borneo Motors said it will work with Toyota Motor and the Land Transport Authority to "support" the models.

In a media alert, Borneo Motors explained that the affected vehicles have an engine wire harness which is connected to the hybrid vehicle Power Control unit.

âA portion of the wire harness could contact the cover at this connection and wear over time, causing an electrical short circuit, which can generate heat," it said. "If sufficient heat is generated, there is an increased risk of a vehicle fire."

âSafety continues to remain our number one priority and we are focused on putting our customers and people first by taking swift and appropriate action,â Borneo Motors added.

heng Sienta not affected...

see lah... you still want to convert to bed.

no scared arrh? [sweatdrop]

Singapore ones affected.

SINGAPORE: A total of 4,115 Toyota Prius cars in Singapore are affected by the Japanese carmaker's global safety recall due to an issue with the engine wire harness which can pose a fire risk.

Toyota announced on Wednesday (Sep 5) that it is recalling about 1.03 million hybrid vehicles in Japan, North America, Europe and other regions. The affected models, built between June 2015 and May 2018 include Prius, Prius PHV and C-HR.

Borneo Motors, the authorised distributor for Toyota in Singapore, said it will be reaching out to Prius customers to check their vehicles, and if necessary, conduct repairs at no cost.

For the parallel-imported C-HR HV models, Borneo Motors said it will work with Toyota Motor and the Land Transport Authority to "support" the models. 

In a media alert, Borneo Motors explained that the affected vehicles have an engine wire harness which is connected to the hybrid vehicle Power Control unit.

“A portion of the wire harness could contact the cover at this connection and wear over time, causing an electrical short circuit, which can generate heat," it said. "If sufficient heat is generated, there is an increased risk of a vehicle fire."

“Safety continues to remain our number one priority and we are focused on putting our customers and people first by taking swift and appropriate action,” Borneo Motors added.

see lah... you still want to convert to bed.

no scared arrh? [sweatdrop]

Take out the engine lor. Engine compartment convert to air-con.

Incidentally i can share a bit about this, as i've a 12.75 yr old PI car.

PIs - as all car dealers - are supposed to be responsible for any recall of any vehicles they sold new. This doesn't change even if the car has its COE renewed. This is according to LTA.

However, some PIs might try to shirk their responsibility, esp if the car is more than 10 year old (which was the case for me).

LTA however, has said that they can force the PIs to contact the current owners if there's any recall - if the PIs are irresponsible.

Sounds good so far? There's where it ends, unfortunately.

The power of LTA stops there. They can force PIs to contact the owners, and arrange with workshops for the car owners to go to for the recall. But LTA cannot force the PIs to pay for the recall, and it is up to the PIs on how they want to deal with the financial arrangements.

This means PIs can say they are not going to pay, and the owners will have to pay...

In the case of ADs, they will almost certainly do it for free, as they can claim from the principal. The PIs almost certainly can't do this, hence the reluctance of them to pay. But of course there might be some good and responsible PIs who might pay.

Hope this is useful.

good grief! omfg... that's horrible..
↡ Advertisement