Is dressing up for formal presentation an oppressive belief?

Ysc3

Twincharged

Student strips down for presentation after professor says her shorts are 'too short'

A senior at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. recently caused a stir when she stripped down to her underwear after her professor criticized her choice in clothing.

Letitia Chai was about to present a trial run of her scholar senior thesis when her professor, Rebekah Maggor, made a comment about Chai’s choice in outfit — a button down shirt and denim cut-off shorts.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Student strips down for presentation after professor says her shorts are 'too short'

A senior at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. recently caused a stir when she stripped down to her underwear after her professor criticized her choice in clothing.

Letitia Chai was about to present a trial run of her scholar senior thesis when her professor, Rebekah Maggor, made a comment about Chai’s choice in outfit — a button down shirt and denim cut-off shorts.

I do feel it's discrimination. For the white female professor to comment like that it's not only sexually discriminating but also racially discriminating. If the professor is not happy about the dress code she should have made it known before doing the presentations that the dress code will affect their grades.

Supersonic
(edited)

I do feel it's discrimination. For the white female professor to comment like that it's not only sexually discriminating but also racially discriminating. If the professor is not happy about the dress code she should have made it known before doing the presentations that the dress code will affect their grades.

Read the article again.

It's a trial run for the actual presentation. The prof is telling her to wear proper attire for the real presentation. BTW, isn't it obvious that one has to dress professionally for an important school presentation? Not wearing is steve jobs wearing his lame turtleneck into biz meetings with other top mgmt leh.

BTW, your claim that there is racial discrimination is ridiculous in the face of the current evidence. Just cuz the prof is white and the student is yellow?

According to Chai, Maggor joined her outside and began asking her whether Chai’s mother would approve of her choice in clothing, which angered her. Chai replied“My mom is a feminist, gender and sexuality studies professor. She’s fine with my shorts.”

This says it all. If she were my daughter, I'd stop paying her school fees until she learns her lesson.

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged

Jin wu eng...  :D

@Mustank, nothing to see... Don't waste time :D

Meaty type, but ang moh like ... [laugh]

But ok lah, asians are slowly but surely shedding their meek, rule-abiding stereotype in western views, and this is a good thing.

It's just disrespectful and unprofessional to wear like that, but maybe becos it's a practice presentation, maybe the students felt free to dress as they would normally. Also depends on the course of study and intended profession, what is the expected dress code.

Meaty type, but ang moh like ... [laugh]

But ok lah, asians are slowly but surely shedding their meek, rule-abiding stereotype in western views, and this is a good thing.

It's just disrespectful and unprofessional to wear like that, but maybe becos it's a practice presentation, maybe the students felt free to dress as they would normally. Also depends on the course of study and intended profession, what is the expected dress code.

the tiong girls damm hiong when overseas lor

I beg to differ.

What about the other students in the lecture hall who might be religiously sensitive. Have the student given it a thought her dressing might be offensive to other cultures (esp the bras and panties version).

Being multicultural (in the case of a tertiary school of higher learning where students come from wide variety of background) is about being sensitive to other cultures and to show restrain and accommodation as and when necessary.

there is always a right dress and decorum for the right occasion.

Imagine a doctor decides that because it is his birthday just decide to turn up at his clinic in slippers and singlet.

Supersonic
(edited)

This says it all. If she were my daughter, I'd stop paying her school fees until she learns her lesson.

She has a lot of self entitled ego. Edited by DACH
  • Praise 2

I beg to differ.

What about the other students in the lecture hall who might be religiously sensitive. Have the student given it a thought her dressing might be offensive to other cultures (esp the bras and panties version).

Being multicultural (in the case of a tertiary school of higher learning where students come from wide variety of background) is about being sensitive to other cultures and to show restrain and accommodation as and when necessary.

there is always a right dress and decorum for the right occasion.

Imagine a doctor decides that because it is his birthday just decide to turn up at his clinic in slippers and singlet.

[laugh]  [laugh]  I don't know why I find that decidedly very funny because I haven't stopped laughing.   :XD:

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Sorry to trouble you to elaborate the first 5 words of the post.

Yes. My head hurts thinking about this.

Yah ....and please don't imagine me in that scenario...... :D

[laugh]  [laugh]  I don't know why I find that decidedly very funny because I haven't stopped laughing.   :XD:

To me, this Asian is plain wrong as how can she be angry when asked to dress appropriately for presentation? To me it has nothing to do with male ogling down as they can see more going to the pools or beach, but more of respecting yourself and the audience by dressing appropriately when in formal occasion.

What she did subsequently really was shameless to me, and the professor was made to apologise more than once. This is really pervert of justice but too bad the feminist movement has grown too big over there. Doing otherwise would be risking her rice bowl, and the University most likely would ask her to apologise too to protect its backside.

If she is my daughter, I would scold her big time instead. This is another example of moral values down the drain in the name of progress.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/cornell-student-strips-during-thesis-presentation-to-protest-professor/

• Praise 2

Yah ....and please don't imagine me in that scenario...... :D

hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

hahahaha

Read the article again.

It's a trial run for the actual presentation. The prof is telling her to wear proper attire for the real presentation. BTW, isn't it obvious that one has to dress professionally for an important school presentation? Not wearing is steve jobs wearing his lame turtleneck into biz meetings with other top mgmt leh.

BTW, your claim that there is racial discrimination is ridiculous in the face of the current evidence. Just cuz the prof is white and the student is yellow?

I think I read it clearly. Thanks. I even click on the "continue story" where the professor apologised to the class for her comments.

There are many ways to tell a student to dress appropriately but her way was demeaning so to speak. Regardless of who we are I think we are not in the position to tell an adult what to do and what not to do. Furthermore the professor is an university educator not a discipline mistress in a primary or tertiary school.

For the racially discrimination it's my claim coz that's what I think that motivated the professor to say what she said. You can don't accept my suggestion. It's ok with me. It's my personal opinion.

↡ Advertisement