Is dressing up for formal presentation an oppressive belief?

Ysc3

Turbocharged
(edited)

I just spend $400 bucks for a blazer and pants at robinsons just to wear once in June this year for VLSI 2018 presentation....

cannot claim from company somemore.... probably wear one time. what to do.... they say everybody wear suit during presentation.

My wife is very impressed that my paper got accepted in VLSI though.

Edited by Wind30

Where's photos of the other 28 who took their clothes off too?

nb...give you 10inch, you want 10 foot...knn

haaaaaaaaaa

• Praise 2

Eh... can put "SPOILER" alert or not......Arrrgghhh my eyes! :dizzy:

gpgt.....

Undressed-1024x538.jpg

WTF did i just seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

cannot_be_unseen.jpg

• Praise 2

Supersonic

To me, this Asian is plain wrong as how can she be angry when asked to dress appropriately for presentation? To me it has nothing to do with male ogling down as they can see more going to the pools or beach, but more of respecting yourself and the audience by dressing appropriately when in formal occasion.

What she did subsequently really was shameless to me, and the professor was made to apologise more than once. This is really pervert of justice but too bad the feminist movement has grown too big over there. Doing otherwise would be risking her rice bowl, and the University most likely would ask her to apologise too to protect its backside.

If she is my daughter, I would scold her big time instead. This is another example of moral values down the drain in the name of progress.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/cornell-student-strips-during-thesis-presentation-to-protest-professor/

In the point of view of the school, should expel her.

it's all about decorum and the setting.  It's an unspoken rule.

However, looking at Apple and Google who present in jeans and turtleneck, that is still smart casual.

Board meetings however a no-no

Know the place when you present

I never do my presentations in anything less than formal office wear

at the minimum

I found a pic of 5 of those 28 !

5612096755_847e722d94_b.jpg

:D

but you get the idea...... :XD:

Where's photos of the other 28 who took their clothes off too?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

it's all about decorum and the setting. It's an unspoken rule.

However, looking at Apple and Google who present in jeans and turtleneck, that is still smart casual.

Board meetings however a no-no

Know the place when you present

I never do my presentations in anything less than formal office wear

at the minimum

also shows respect to the other party
  • Praise 1

also shows respect to the other party

exactly.  I see others who present in tees and jeans...highly disrespectful IMO

nbz............u damn free ah...clinic empty 

Hypersonic

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Student strips down for presentation after professor says her shorts are 'too short'

A senior at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. recently caused a stir when she stripped down to her underwear after her professor criticized her choice in clothing.

Letitia Chai was about to present a trial run of her scholar senior thesis when her professor, Rebekah Maggor, made a comment about Chai’s choice in outfit — a button down shirt and denim cut-off shorts.

Cornell University, here I come and apply

• Praise 1

Like Kusje pointed out it's only a trial presentation, not the actual presentation. Have to also see what the other students were wearing as well.

Title is misleading coz it isn't a formal presentation yet.

The professor choice of words also do not have to be so demeaning. And why did she even apologise? Click on the "continue story" in the article if you haven't read it.

Like Kusje pointed out it's only a trial presentation, not the actual presentation. Have to also see what the other students were wearing as well.

Title is misleading coz it isn't a formal presentation yet.

The professor choice of words also do not have to be so demeaning. And why did she even apologise? Click on the "continue story" in the article if you haven't read it.

Well, then perhaps there could be some leeway here.  More of an informal setting perhaps.  Give students a feel of the atmosphere of standing before an audience to smooth the nerves

Supersonic

I think I read it clearly. Thanks. I even click on the "continue story" where the professor apologised to the class for her comments.

There are many ways to tell a student to dress appropriately but her way was demeaning so to speak. Regardless of who we are I think we are not in the position to tell an adult what to do and what not to do. Furthermore the professor is an university educator not a discipline mistress in a primary or tertiary school.

For the racially discrimination it's my claim coz that's what I think that motivated the professor to say what she said. You can don't accept my suggestion. It's ok with me. It's my personal opinion.

I think there's no need to state that anything you post here is a personal opinion. Since we're all fellow forum posters and not advertisers or moderators, I think it is safe to assume we don't represent anyone else.

Well, then perhaps there could be some leeway here.  More of an informal setting perhaps.  Give students a feel of the atmosphere of standing before an audience to smooth the nerves

Regardless of what the presentation is required of the students. It simply became personal when somebody mentions your mother and bring her into the picture....which obviously isn't warranted. Anyone would be pissed.

I think there's no need to state that anything you post here is a personal opinion. Since we're all fellow forum posters and not advertisers or moderators, I think it is safe to assume we don't represent anyone else.

This is a forum. What else could be posted other dan yours or my opinions?

Hypersonic

hard to say whether she took offence at the professors well meaning words or the professor really put her down and she felt aggrieved at the tone.

No point in discussing further.

Dress for the occasion unless u are rich as **** haha

↡ Advertisement