Singapore to Fail without PAP?

Aventador

(edited)

After seeing the change of government in Malaysia after 60 years, obviously many people have talked about could it happen in Singapore?

And the way some of the younger leaders talk and handle issues leave me feeling disappointed with the situation. Josephine Teo comes across very arrogant, Ng chee meng too. Now Ong ye kung says teachers must have self discipline and pay parking...

Singapore is being run as a business, with annual price increases to maximise profits everywhere. And i disagree with it

Anyway this topic is not to bash the government, there are enough threads on this.

What i hope to see is your views on what will happen if there was a change in government in the next 1-2 elections.

How will it affect Singapore. Will we fail as a country? Will our women become maids in other countries as LKY once claimed?

Give your analysis of what you think will happen if the PAP is no longer the government.

Ideally put the worse case scenario of how bad things will be. Can we survive it?

Or do you think that it won't mean the end of Singapore as the PAP likes to claim

Edited by Aventador
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Let the government bashing begin.

Lets not do a govt bashing thread. Rather a real opinion of what effects a 'less capable' government will have on Singapore

Because everyone assumes that a non PAP government will be a lousy one. So lets work on this assumption

Edited by Aventador
  • Praise 1

What will happen? Nothing much will change cos Singapore is relatively well run.

Assume all MPs change.

1) the books will be open. If there are any irregularities bordering on criminal, the current office holders will be held to account.

2) changes to taxation. Very unlikely. The new G might work for less salaries but the salaries are not much in the sense that even if they work for free, the savings will not be enough to even reduce gst.

Much has been said about unnecessary expenditure. Perhaps that can be cut. But until the new G takes over they will not know if the unnecessary expenditure is "necessary". Example. Rebuilding of shelters between blocks frequently. What if these "unneccessary" rebuildings are keeping certain companies alive? Yeah we can say conflict of interest but don't forget, if a company collapses, the ordinary wage workers suffer also. So not very likely the new G will make drastic changes unless they are very sure there will be no fallout.

Transport fares and train quality. Yes we can say don't use made in China products but made in Japan ones. Problem is the difference in cost. If the cost difference is so high that fares need to be increased to pay for them, would you do so?

Much has been said about the 100 million dollar profit of smrt. I be the devil's advocate. You need to see the books first. Example. 100 million dollar profit a year. Would you advocate a cut in this profit? What if part of this profit goes to the government and this additional revenue actually allows more social programs? Would you still insist on less profits (even by GLCs)?

But I am an oppo supporter. Don't take my views to mean I love PAP. I give a neutral and hopefully measured and rational reply. A change in government will allow for more transparency and any wastefulness accounted for. But I don't believe there will be much changes.

If WP ever become the full G, I believe it will also increase their own salary and do the same as current G. What we need is check and balance and not a new G.

Check and balance as in oppo wins at least 1/3 of the seats but no one party should be controlling 90% of parliament.

• Praise 7

If this goes. Political then it will disappear

As is, rules are no politics in mcf

• Praise 1

After seeing the change of government in Malaysia after 60 years, obviously many people have talked about could it happen in Singapore?

And the way some of the younger leaders talk and handle issues leave me feeling disappointed with the situation. Josephine Teo comes across very arrogant, Ng chee meng too. Now Ong ye kung says teachers must have self discipline and pay parking...

Singapore is being run as a business, with annual price increases to maximise profits everywhere. And i disagree with it

Anyway this topic is not to bash the government, there are enough threads on this.

What i hope to see is your views on what will happen if there was a change in government in the next 1-2 elections.

How will it affect Singapore. Will we fail as a country? Will our women become maids in other countries as LKY once claimed?

Give your analysis of what you think will happen if the PAP is no longer the government.

Ideally put the worse case scenario of how bad things will be. Can we survive it?

Or do you think that it won't mean the end of Singapore as the PAP likes to claim

I would say... market sentiments will be dampen and something foreign investors will be on the caution.

For the opposition to effectively convince the rest that an alternative Government is a sound idea, they first need to get their own house in order. This means dealing with their own internal power struggle (which is becoming evident over the past few years) and consistency. There's no where else better than to prove it through the constituencies they represent now and that will take a few more years as we know it. Whether Singapore will collapse under the opposition or not, there is no straightforward answer. That remains to be seen.

Aside from politics, the nature of Singapore's culture being relatively a risk-adverse bunch of citizens needs to be taken into consideration. It's isn't just a matter of winning over votes. Singaporeans are typically not risk takers.

Given that the opposition had been touting pro-Singaporeans policies, foreign companies which had been operating in Singapore may be shaken. I think the correct question to be asked if, what contingency plans do we have if the employment market is tightened further and making it difficult for these foreign companies to conduct recruitment? There is only one way - that is "out". When these large enterprises leave Singapore, what does that spell for Singapore's economy? Again, there's no easy solutions so if we dream of a Singapore with more opposition involvement, these are hard questions to ask and tackle.

Sure, there will be some short-sighted individuals that will go exclaiming - WE DON'T NEED THESE COMPANIES THEN!!! Really? Talking about the economy is not about our personal ego. There are many good examples out there;

Banyan Tree - local enterprise but did it grow from Singapore? Not at all. It started from Thailand, although a Singapore company.

Broadcom - shifting headquarters from Singapore to US.

Oslo & Subsea 7 - shifted headquarters from Singapore to KL

Taiwan's Evergreen and Danish's Maersk - PSA lost these major clients to Malaysia anyway

While the above may seemed like a small list compared to the number of Indian startups or Japanese relocations into Singapore, it is a telling sign that it may happen on a grander scale if investors and MNCs sense any unstability in Singapore. With a large chunk of these companies employing Singaporeans, what will happen if they exit Singapore? It's a no-brainer, we are probably shooting ourselves in our own feet even more.

This is further complicated by China's interference in Southeast Asia. From all the port investment in Malaysia and the proposed canal across Thailand which had revived consideration in recent years, what really does China intends to achieve? If profit is the only consideration, China could have jolly well pump the money into PSA - a proven model. But why Malaysia? Why Thailand? One will be considered totally out-of-touch if one can't see China is trying to cut off Singapore's lifeline. China and Singapore, we're not exactly friends. Always remember that.

So for the above, does the current opposition has a strategy to deal with these national issues? Yea they yakkety-yak alot on Singaporeans welfare, Singaporeans right, transparency, rule of law blah blah blah .... but when it comes to these national issues which can determine life and death of Singapore's economy, does the opposition really have a plan? I see none.

We will survive, we ain't gonna sink but rest assure life will be harder than what we are complaining about now. Singaporeans have proven they cannot go through this kind of market adjustment and hardship, unlike in the 1960s and 1970s.

• Praise 10

I would say... market sentiments will be dampen and something foreign investors will be on the caution.

Great post. This is what I am hoping to read. Will post my analysis later

Personal feeling is a good government comes with governance and full accountability. There is some way to go b4 achieving such a state. Current state favors the rulers, which is out of balance. If we can have a strong leader who cares and loves his country and put coutry above self it would be good. I don't think Singapore is as difficult to run as it is made out to be. So if such a person emerged my support will go him even his shirt is coloured.

• Praise 1

For the opposition to effectively convince the rest that an alternative Government is a sound idea, they first need to get their own house in order. This means dealing with their own internal power struggle (which is becoming evident over the past few years) and consistency. There's no where else better than to prove it through the constituencies they represent now and that will take a few more years as we know it. Whether Singapore will collapse under the opposition or not, there is no straightforward answer. That remains to be seen.

Aside from politics, the nature of Singapore's culture being relatively a risk-adverse bunch of citizens needs to be taken into consideration. It's isn't just a matter of winning over votes. Singaporeans are typically not risk takers.

Given that the opposition had been touting pro-Singaporeans policies, foreign companies which had been operating in Singapore may be shaken. I think the correct question to be asked if, what contingency plans do we have if the employment market is tightened further and making it difficult for these foreign companies to conduct recruitment? There is only one way - that is "out". When these large enterprises leave Singapore, what does that spell for Singapore's economy? Again, there's no easy solutions so if we dream of a Singapore with more opposition involvement, these are hard questions to ask and tackle.

Sure, there will be some short-sighted individuals that will go exclaiming - WE DON'T NEED THESE COMPANIES THEN!!! Really? Talking about the economy is not about our personal ego. There are many good examples out there;

Banyan Tree - local enterprise but did it grow from Singapore? Not at all. It started from Thailand, although a Singapore company.

Broadcom - shifting headquarters from Singapore to US.

Oslo & Subsea 7 - shifted headquarters from Singapore to KL

Taiwan's Evergreen and Danish's Maersk - PSA lost these major clients to Malaysia anyway

While the above may seemed like a small list compared to the number of Indian startups or Japanese relocations into Singapore, it is a telling sign that it may happen on a grander scale if investors and MNCs sense any unstability in Singapore. With a large chunk of these companies employing Singaporeans, what will happen if they exit Singapore? It's a no-brainer, we are probably shooting ourselves in our own feet even more.

This is further complicated by China's interference in Southeast Asia. From all the port investment in Malaysia and the proposed canal across Thailand which had revived consideration in recent years, what really does China intends to achieve? If profit is the only consideration, China could have jolly well pump the money into PSA - a proven model. But why Malaysia? Why Thailand? One will be considered totally out-of-touch if one can't see China is trying to cut off Singapore's lifeline. China and Singapore, we're not exactly friends. Always remember that.

So for the above, does the current opposition has a strategy to deal with these national issues? Yea they yakkety-yak alot on Singaporeans welfare, Singaporeans right, transparency, rule of law blah blah blah .... but when it comes to these national issues which can determine life and death of Singapore's economy, does the opposition really have a plan? I see none.

We will survive, we ain't gonna sink but rest assure life will be harder than what we are complaining about now. Singaporeans have proven they cannot go through this kind of market adjustment and hardship, unlike in the 1960s and 1970s.

Singapore has to be run like a business. We are a nation without resources.

Younger Singaporeans will learn the hard way to deal with the competition. But yes we can survive.

• Praise 2

Singapore has to be run like a business. We are a nation without resources.

Younger Singaporeans will learn the hard way to deal with the competition. But yes we can survive.

So the question is what if singapore is not run like a business?

What do you think will happen to the country?

Are all countries without natural resources run the same way? And those that are not, are they failed states?

Anyone studied this in depth please share

Many countries changed govt after a long time of one party rule. Just take reference from them. Did they fail or become better overall? We are not that special you know, so past cases should give us good indication of what will happen here.

So the question is what if singapore is not run like a business?

What do you think will happen to the country?

Are all countries without natural resources run the same way? And those that are not, are they failed states?

Anyone studied this in depth please share

Die

LKY said before that sg got nth but human, so we gotta milk all the human make full use of it. Otherwise how do we get into today position?

Theres a saying if it aint broke dont fix it, najib is broken, thats why they need a change

• Praise 1

Lets not do a govt bashing thread. Rather a real opinion of what effects a 'less capable' government will have on Singapore

Because everyone assumes that a non PAP government will be a lousy one. So lets work on this assumption

Once u mention PAP in MCF ,all hell will break loose..
  • Praise 8

Die

LKY said before that sg got nth but human, so we gotta milk all the human make full use of it. Otherwise how do we get into today position?

Theres a saying if it aint broke dont fix it, najib is broken, thats why they need a change

Can elaborate how we will die?

What do you see happening? Loss of jobs? Etc etc

Can elaborate how we will die?

What do you see happening? Loss of jobs? Etc etc

How do u think those MNCs come into sg not into our neighbours? Because we got good governance and corrupt free system, if opposition took over, that may turn off many investors. The current gen leader may not be as competent as prev gen but opposition cant even prove their worth neither they have their solid future plan.

Currently we are still doing well with constant good gdp growth and reckoned as global financial hub. As i said if aint broke dont fix it. Cant afford to risk the future

• Praise 2

(edited)

Singapore won't fail without the pap for one simple reason, we have more than enough capable potential non-pap leaders to be ministers. Just look at koh poh koon, ng chee meng, ong ye kung, lawrence wong etc, one term mp can become ministers so you tell me is it really hard for other talented professionals with a heart to serve the nation to become minister. There are many in the opposition who graduated from Cambridge, Oxford n other ivy league unis, so it is inconceivable to think that without PAP, our country can't function. Just ask yourselves this question, if hypothetically all the ministers were to sit on one plane it disappears in Bermuda triangle, would the hospitals, businesses in the CBD, train services etc. stop operating?

Edited by LPPL
  • Praise 8