Singapore to Fail without PAP?

Aventador

(edited)

Why in the first place u want to replace PAP?

Ur scenarios has many what if, and assumptions that new govt will not screw up the policy making procedures.

We will not collapse but our economy might shrink, we might see deflation, we might see more jobless man on the street.

This thread is not meant to debate the virtues of the PAP (or lack of). I want to hear your vision of what happens when a change in government happens

In your opinion it can be a devastation of Singapore, that's fine, just give an example of how it will happen. Not just what might happen without explanation.

My opinion is obviously not necessarily correct. It is just my thoughts.

But to give an opinion about the future, of course I have to make assumptions. And my assumptions are that a non PAP cabinet is still rational and intelligent.

And as it's a car forum, I just write a very broad outline of what I think will happen. I leave it to the guys in the LKY school of public policy to do a detailed analysis with full statistics.

Please share your analysis too. It would be great to hear it.

Edited by Aventador
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I hear this from taiwan tv news. They even compare salary for taiwanese vs korea and sg. Also even compare with china 1st tier cities. Yet taiwan still the lowest among all.

As u mention thai ladies prefer to work there due to ease in getting permit. Here in sg too much regulation

Bro..u should realise that in TW, there are certain stations funded by ahem you know who whose main job is to magnify, criticize and laugh at TW's green party's mistakes...

so gotta take their news with some salt..they can be overly biased at times

anyway if TW is in such a sorry state as some bros declared, please recommend me any of your TW single lady friends who may want to seek refuge in our 'gooda' sinkieland..i love TW girls! [:p]   ..seriously! 

Think michelle chen, ariel lin, vivian hsu, vivian sung etc :wub:

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

This thread is not meant to debate the virtues of the PAP (or lack of). I want to hear your vision of what happens when a change in government happens

Anyway not gonna happen boss....

Pinky would have seen the devastation to Najib after the recent MY GE..and learnt from the lessons..

Am sure he will take steps to plug all the possible holes that may cause PAP's downfall in 2020..so be assured..change in gahmen simply not gonna happen...

• Praise 1

A country is run by government and not a party.

It might cause some frantic moments, but eventually it would stabilize after new government is formed by another ruling party or in coalition.

It's time pappy one hand cover the sky days coming to an end.

• Praise 2

After i check now ald hit 2.3k.

Also need to consider the duration u need to find a job. Many young taiwanese jobless end up selling street food at night market. Also need to consider career progression. My poly friends now enjoy salary above 5k after working for few yrs, its impossible to get this amount of salary in taiwan.

And moreover $1k in taiwan is for fresh grad from university. In sg local uni earn 3.7k nowadays.

Maybe u should understand taiwan more before thinking the grass at the other side is greener

Which uni grad? Even private uni earning 2.7k at least. I didnt know about how many china grad coming here but employment rate here is low.

this wan is from last time lar! In the mid 80s when i was there for rnr the line at Mcdonalds was very long.............not as a paying customer though! We nearly gave up on buying lunch there on seeing the line.....but turns out it was for job vacancies that Mc was offering.

Ur scenarios has many what if, and assumptions that new govt will not screw up the policy making procedures.

We will not collapse but our economy might shrink, we might see deflation, we might see more jobless man on the street.

Tbh we cant afford to let a nation that has been built solidly for past 50 years to be managed by a group of new and inexperience government.

If our leader like najib, our nation hold 1Trillion debt whereby government and civil service are corrupted and the nation is facing currency devaluation, opposition will be the best choice.

As for ur prediction of various ministry outcome possibilities

Healthcare currently every singaporean is well covered with medisave, medishield, subsidies in general hospitals including surgeries.

For manpower, u only see short term problem not long term. Reduction of foreign workers will affect the gdp, our gdp will shrink, economy slowing down, more business will fail. With lesser output, theres no use to promote trade with other countries unless we can replace the current output by automation or robots.

MNCs here not only for low tax and safe environment, they also see our sgd as strong and stable currency. If one day our economy shrink and currency devalued, most MNCs will run away and set up HQ elsewhere. SG will lose its competitiveness, worse spending more on social welfare although its a good thing, its not viable. If another round of global financial crisis comes, the govt may not have enough money to bail out local companies and banks. Budget surplus is good, many countries wish to achieve this

If new govt promote social spending and reduce tax, i worry they might deplete the saving for past 50 yrs. Afterall they will give u happiness for short term by the time u realise they screw up, theres no way turning back, even if we get to vote them out, the damage is there and will take longer time to recover

I believe that GE14 has given a wake up call for ruling party here to hear more rakyat voice and work out to a better and affordable quality of living

that 1 trillion hearsay is when PH tookover.........if they didnt everybody will be still talking about the 1mdb. As Guan Eng said its best to bite the bullet now at least its the start of a brand new direction and open the secret cupboard to let the skeleton out. As ge14 showed even with a new gov the country doesnt collapse in 1 day. Its left to everybody to start afresh and work hard for the nx lap.

Amazing that u compare sg condo with taipei apartment lol

Why dont rent or buy hdb?

Oh i forgot that taiwanese always prefer to rent because they cant afford home neither they have hdb.

Btw our hdb are equivalent to their apartment

And nobody forcing u to eat restaurant everyday. Want eat restaurant can go zichar stall or go causeway

Dont forget hor taiwan NTU vs Sg NTU pay 3x lower

usually you rather relax why on this topic so

post-131345-0-88519700-1527381868.gif

• Praise 2

(edited)

Long long time ago, while cycling to work, I encountered traffic light stopped working.

Drivers don't know what to do.

I called police to be onsite to manage the traffic

You've got it!

Everyone dreads of traffic light failing because it's been keeping the order of traffic since traffic lights came into existence.

Some drivers, pedestrian may be anxious about driving walking through a non lighted junction because no directions given, or no TP controlling it, all drivers slowed down when perceived risk of accident became higher.

So far I don't recall seeing fatal road accident due to traffic lights not functioning.... But seen so many fatal accidents even when lights are still on.

The point is when there's light, everyone assume there is an order and can get complacent, but when no light the senses heightened.

That's a natural survivor instinct in everyone.

So will SG fail when the lights goes out? Slow down maybe....then orders will resume naturally.

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 3

Tbh we cant afford to let a nation that has been built solidly for past 50 years to be managed by a group of new and inexperience government.

If our leader like najib, our nation hold 1Trillion debt whereby government and civil service are corrupted and the nation is facing currency devaluation, opposition will be the best choice.

As for ur prediction of various ministry outcome possibilities

Healthcare currently every singaporean is well covered with medisave, medishield, subsidies in general hospitals including surgeries.

For manpower, u only see short term problem not long term. Reduction of foreign workers will affect the gdp, our gdp will shrink, economy slowing down, more business will fail. With lesser output, theres no use to promote trade with other countries unless we can replace the current output by automation or robots.

MNCs here not only for low tax and safe environment, they also see our sgd as strong and stable currency. If one day our economy shrink and currency devalued, most MNCs will run away and set up HQ elsewhere. SG will lose its competitiveness, worse spending more on social welfare although its a good thing, its not viable. If another round of global financial crisis comes, the govt may not have enough money to bail out local companies and banks. Budget surplus is good, many countries wish to achieve this

If new govt promote social spending and reduce tax, i worry they might deplete the saving for past 50 yrs. Afterall they will give u happiness for short term by the time u realise they screw up, theres no way turning back, even if we get to vote them out, the damage is there and will take longer time to recover

I believe that GE14 has given a wake up call for ruling party here to hear more rakyat voice and work out to a better and affordable quality of living

So how many of the current PAP are actually experienced? Are most of them not as noob as the opposition? They are only lucky that they scored good scholarships and were targeted by PAP to be parachuted into parliament after their military career.

Don't talk about LKY-era PAP, talk about the current cohort.

• Praise 2

Before I go into my views on what happens to Singapore if there is a change in government, let us look at how Parliament works.
In Singapore, Parliament consists of 89 MPs. 

In an Election, the party with a simple majority (45 MPs or more) will form the government.
And the Leader of the winning party will become the Prime Minister, and he will select the Cabinet from the MPs in his party.

The Cabinet is supposed to consist of the PM, DPM, and 15 Ministers (heading 15 ministries). So 17 key persons.

[Current cabinet got 19 people, because got extra DPM and extra minister in PM office]

The 15 ministries are:

Defence
Finance
Trade and Industry
Manpower
National Development
Education
Transport
Law
Home Affairs
Health
Foreign Affairs
Environment
Communications & Info
Social & Family
Culture & Community

To me, the important people are these 17 people. 
The rest of the MPs are candy floss, light and fluffy with no substance. Many of them hold full time jobs outside and 1000 directorships. And don’t even bother to attend most of the sessions.

My personal opinion is we can stilll cut further .....

1) Defence

2) Finance

3) Education

4) Home Affair & Law (National Security & Law comes hand in hand)

5) National Development & Transport (Both are planning for the better of SG)

6) Health & Environment (every environmental issue is also health issue)

7) Foregin Affair 

8) Communication & infor with Culture & Community (Communication thru culture and community)

9) Manpower & Social & Family  (workforce, maids, family & social equalities) 

:ignoring: 

• Praise 2

So 17 key persons.

[Current cabinet got 19 people, because got extra DPM and extra minister in PM office]

The 15 ministries are:

Defence
Finance
Trade and Industry
Manpower
National Development
Education
Transport
Law
Home Affairs
Health
Foreign Affairs
Environment
Communications & Info
Social & Family
Culture & Community

To me, the important people are these 17 people. 
The rest of the MPs are candy floss, light and fluffy with no substance. Many of them hold full time jobs outside and 1000 directorships. And don’t even bother to attend most of the sessions.

If we lose any one of these underperform 17 people at next GE, will we fail?

just got a call from the new deputy pm

she want me to be ambassador to sin

see it pays to be nice to every one

post-131345-0-01559900-1527387559.jpg

(edited)

Understand many are concerned when the lights goes out there will be gridlocked and will never clear if current gov is not retained.

We need to defined what is considered failure. If we have high economic success but people in general feel unhappy, dissatisfied with the quality of life.

Is this considered success?

Yes probably for a small elite group.

No for a larger population.

Then what are the steps to address the dissatisfaction?

Of course without economic success most things no need to discuss already.

I have never seen anyone doesn't want see economic success, don't want to earn more, get more spend.

The urge to have more in everyone's blood. Our forefathers came here to seek better life for themselves and families, it's in the blood of majority.

Lacking a strong and capable team of leaders doesn't change the DNA of the people.

It will stifles growth for a while and if leaders are seen as corrupt as in MY, it will be thrown out.

If majority still see SG will fail without PAP, then PAP has already failed us.

Because if a general population lacks a will to survive, how can we even compete and stay at top of the game globally?

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 4

(edited)

Nope, another one will take over .  :we-all-gonna-die:

Just like the case of George Yeo ... ^_^

Then, we should use the 1st world standard to measure their performance.

Edited by Odyssey2011
  • Praise 1

We know our SWF was one of the strongest globally.

Temasek held majority shares in local key industry leaders.

But these companies not able really compete globally.

Maybe DBS, Capitaland and SQ are the rare few that can compete to a greater geographic extent.

Singtel and ST Eng surviving.

We have to sell business to foreign entity.

Lost Tiger beer, Lost Petroleum company, Lost shipping line, need to pump $$$ into bus services, privatised train service to be LTA managed. Lost Tiger air, Lost Silk Air. Lost a swiss bank. Keppel in fine half a billion in bribery probe.

The list can go on....

Are these successes?

Who were running these entities?

Hypersonic

I am agreeable only to this part.

Too much about $$$

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4