Buying a used car (PHV) from LCR

HanYolo

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys, I'm a new member so I can't start a new topic so I decided to ask this question here. Hope that it's ok.

I'm currently driving a Honda Civic Hybrid and the COE is ending in 2 weeks+ time.

I was considering renewing my COE as the prices have fallen but after calculating factors such as potential increased maintanence cost, replacement of battery, tax and insurance etc the real cost of retaining the car will be around $60k-$65k.

And then I saw that Uber is liquidating their cars. I called LCR directly and they said they only deal with dealers and not direct retail so I went on Sgcarmart and saw many dealers selling 1 year and a few months Mazda 3s for around 72k and up. After doing the math I realised it might be better to get them. Since money is tight but I need a car for work and family it's either renew or buy an lcr car.

I'd like to ask for advice on who is a reputable 2nd hand dealer that I can buy from and/or avoid as I'm worried about getting a lemon as private hire cars might be subject to much more wear and tear. I called a few dealerships and they said the cars like hotcakes this week, the moment they came in, they went out and everyone is waiting for new stocks come next week. One dealer says that he will only stock low mileage cars (not sure to trust, it's a dealer in old turf city)

Sorry again for the long post.. hope someone can point me in the right direction.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Basically it's still buying a used car.

See one you like, buy on the spot and if paying cash, transfer on the spot.

It's more worthwhile to get a low price 2nd hand unit Mz3 than renewing.

• Praise 2

Hi guys, I'm a new member so I can't start a new topic so I decided to ask this question here. Hope that it's ok.

I'm currently driving a Honda Civic Hybrid and the COE is ending in 2 weeks+ time.

I was considering renewing my COE as the prices have fallen but after calculating factors such as potential increased maintanence cost, replacement of battery, tax and insurance etc the real cost of retaining the car will be around $60k-$65k.

And then I saw that Uber is liquidating their cars. I called LCR directly and they said they only deal with dealers and not direct retail so I went on Sgcarmart and saw many dealers selling 1 year and a few months Mazda 3s for around 72k and up. After doing the math I realised it might be better to get them. Since money is tight but I need a car for work and family it's either renew or buy an lcr car.

I'd like to ask for advice on who is a reputable 2nd hand dealer that I can buy from and/or avoid as I'm worried about getting a lemon as private hire cars might be subject to much more wear and tear. I called a few dealerships and they said the cars like hotcakes this week, the moment they came in, they went out and everyone is waiting for new stocks come next week. One dealer says that he will only stock low mileage cars (not sure to trust, it's a dealer in old turf city)

Sorry again for the long post.. hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Wondering how much that few thousands worth to you when ure buying a big bill item? U clearly knew its phv cars isnt it? Typical phv clocked 20 to 30 trips per day works out to 45000km to 70000km mileage per year. On top of that, plus 1 transfer count owner for 72k which may bring ur resale value lower and basic model again lower by another 6k adding to the 1 year few months depre youve lost. If you are looking for good condition and so scare, why not just buy brand new? Just plain silly. Oh ya you might also want to consider does agent still honor warranty as its already almost more than 100,000km mileage
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Internal Moderator

Started a new thread for you.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Wondering how much that few thousands worth to you when ure buying a big bill item? U clearly knew its phv cars isnt it? Typical phv clocked 20 to 30 trips per day works out to 45000km to 70000km mileage per year. On top of that, plus 1 transfer count owner for 72k which may bring ur resale value lower and basic model again lower by another 6k adding to the 1 year few months depre youve lost. If you are looking for good condition and so scare, why not just buy brand new? Just plain silly. Oh ya you might also want to consider does agent still honor warranty as its already almost more than 100,000km mileage

Yes...given that Mazda 3 does not have GPS ,and leather seats (for some),why not consider Hyundai Elantra Basic (NEW) at $76999 instead.

Despite the fact that the fuel consumption is higher ,but the mere fact that you can avoid I stop issues (ask @Privacy about this) and that it comes with decent safety features of 6 airbags in Elantra VS the 3 which only has 2(Basic model)

Moreover,it comes with alloy rims, GPS, leather seats.

Caveat is no electromic rear view mirror and steering wheel controls.

Depreciation about $7200/yr.

Edited by Brass
  • Praise 3

Supersonic

Yes...given that Mazda 3 does not have GPS ,and leather seats (for some),why not consider Hyundai Elantra Basic (NEW) at $76999 instead.

Despite the fact that the fuel consumption is higher ,but the mere fact that you can avoid I stop issues (ask @Privacy about this) and that it comes with decent safety features of 6 airbags in Elantra VS the 3 which only has 2(Basic model)

Moreover,it comes with alloy rims, GPS, leather seats.

Caveat is no electromic rear view mirror and steering wheel controls.

Depreciation about $7200/yr.

True, instead spending that $70k to buy LCR PHV, why not consider getting brand new elantra or k3 around the same price?

• Praise 2

True, instead spending that $70k to buy LCR PHV, why not consider getting brand new elantra or k3 around the same price?

And the weird thing is that the better specced Elantra is cheaper than the poverty spec k3 L by 2k.

Maybe the Japanese car>Korean car syndrome.

Supersonic
(edited)

And the weird thing is that the better specced Elantra is cheaper than the poverty spec k3 L by 2k.

Agreed but sometimes also must depends individual la. I know some people might rather buy a LCR PHV mazda than a brand new korean car, due to mazda is a jap car, futhermore mazda 3 is MIJ.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

(edited)

M3 FC sucks right?

It’s actually quite alright for this SkyActive version. I have a few friends who owns it and can get decent FC.

The one that sucks is the previous version whereby it sits on Ford platform.

In addition to TS, he could actually look at those under Uber fire sale. Those are Standard versions of the Mazda 3 with 4-6 months off its COE clock (some were registered in Dec 2017) with less than 50km on its odo. Those were bought, driven to their parking spaces and unable to rent out to hirers. It’s literally a new car with a whopping discount of 17-19k. Not sure about warranty and lemon law since they were bought by different second hand car dealers. If TS don’t mind no GPS, no MZ Connect with ugly factory audio headset, no HUD, along side with fabric seats and local reverse sensors, it’s a good buy than renewing COE. Given Honda’s old IMA hybrid, would be costly to maintain.

Cheers.

Edited by Wormee
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I think most people will look at the common M3, Altis, Civic, but forgotten about the Elantra which is rather affordable with good drive

• Praise 2

Supersonic

I think most people will look at the common M3, Altis, Civic, but forgotten about the Elantra which is rather affordable with good drive

Maybe due to elantra is a korean car? I have one friend and even some colleague still those people who have the mindset die die must buy jap car, no matter which make/model.  [:p]

It's a bit out of subject here, but curious to find out more about the spare parts and maintenance of an Elantra.   Altis spare parts are easily available and cheap because Toyota sell a lot of those cars.   Maintenance wise, easy and cheap, moreover they don't have a timing belt, but a chain which lasts 170K?   

Supersonic

It's a bit out of subject here, but curious to find out more about the spare parts and maintenance of an Elantra.   Altis spare parts are easily available and cheap because Toyota sell a lot of those cars.   Maintenance wise, easy and cheap, moreover they don't have a timing belt, but a chain which lasts 170K?   

Elantra also using timing chain, parts for korean car also easily available and not expensive la.

Elantra also using timing chain, parts for korean car also easily available and not expensive la.

Sounds good.   

Bro, why don't you consider a new Mitsubishi Attrage? You mentioned that money is tight, so I assuming you don't want to spend a lot on petrol and maintenance as well throughout ownership of 10 years, other than just considering car price. Servicing costs of Attrage is quite low as compared to the Mazda 3 and even can save money on high-maintenance parts such as tyres, which cost much less due to smaller profile and size. Warranty also very good at 10 years. This few factors are something I considered before buying myself the Attrage. Hope this helps!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2