Is it all right to test drive cars if you are not buying?

Philipkee

Turbocharged

Well it works both ways too.

My colleague asked me to see a show flat and

next thing I knew I walk out having signed on the

dotted line for a new condo.

I went for a Case Walk and got a goody bag with

free milky oats drink and now I drink it every

morning. So even if you just test drive without

the intention of buying you might end up buying

it anyway. Free test drives can end up being

very expensive.

:D

There is a common saying in Japan:

Nothing is more expensive than something that is free. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Funnily I never test driven my own car. I bought a resale car and its like "take it and go". That was years years back.

All the test drives I have done is for other people like relatives and colleagues who wanted to try out options. But I will persuade them to do it themselves as they are the ones who are going to live with their choices.

Its ok not to buy but I guess if test driving if simply for "joy rides" when you have nothing better to do, when you have zero intent to get the car, then dun try it.

But if car sales is really bad, no queue nothing, there is probably no harm lah, as some said, you may end up buying.

Dun pick up smoking for the sake of trying it out for first time, some just got hooked on and its a lifelong "investment".

Your choice, your will.

• Praise 1

Ya agreed, since TS has some intention of buying though maybe not immediately, quite fair for him to test drive n who knows it may speed up his decison making but joy ride test drive I think not really fair on the SE.

For visiting show flats, sometimes I just want to see the deco n get some ideas but unfortunately they have a queue system for the Sales agents n they need to accompany u so I refrain from visiting show flats esp at the start n during weekends cos it deprives the Sales agents of the opportunity to attend to potential buyers. Weekday visit when there is no queue n or when project is almost sold out would be the better time to visit show flats for not serious buyers instead.

Apologies for the digression but just trying to put my point across. Cheers n happy testing to TS!

Funnily I never test driven my own car. I bought a resale car and its like "take it and go". That was years years back.

All the test drives I have done is for other people like relatives and colleagues who wanted to try out options. But I will persuade them to do it themselves as they are the ones who are going to live with their choices.

Its ok not to buy but I guess if test driving if simply for "joy rides" when you have nothing better to do, when you have zero intent to get the car, then dun try it.

But if car sales is really bad, no queue nothing, there is probably no harm lah, as some said, you may end up buying.

Dun pick up smoking for the sake of trying it out for first time, some just got hooked on and its a lifelong "investment".

Your choice, your will.

• Praise 16

Ya agreed, since TS has some intention of buying though maybe not immediately, quite fair for him to test drive n who knows it may speed up his decison making but joy ride test drive I think not really fair on the SE.

For visiting show flats, sometimes I just want to see the deco n get some ideas but unfortunately they have a queue system for the Sales agents n they need to accompany u so I refrain from visiting show flats esp at the start n during weekends cos it deprives the Sales agents of the opportunity to attend to potential buyers. Weekday visit when there is no queue n or when project is almost sold out would be the better time to visit show flats for not serious buyers instead.

Apologies for the digression but just trying to put my point across. Cheers n happy testing to TS!

When I go show rooms, usually with other people, I very honestly tell the agents I not buying car no need entertain me.

Yeah I will shoo all of them away (just like in shopping centres). Who knows one aggressive one, especially a chio bu agent, somehow managed to convince me to buy the poison (Nah joking, that will never happen).

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

follow yandao towkay @sunny method

test drive the se not the car

make sure chio or hansum depending on your preference

• Praise 4

follow yandao towkay @sunny method

test drive the se not the car

make sure chio or hansum depending on your preference

ð

I remembered overseas some even tested the exhaust.

(edited)

This is like the shakespear, to buy or not to buy, that is the question. [laugh]

Obviously it's either now or you pay more for VES come July. If you still undecided maybe you should roll some dice. LoL...

To be honest, you are wasting your own time.

Procrastination should become a national pastime for some. :D

Edited by Watwheels

When I go show rooms, usually with other people, I very honestly tell the agents I not buying car no need entertain me.

Yeah I will shoo all of them away (just like in shopping centres). Who knows one aggressive one, especially a chio bu agent, somehow managed to convince me to buy the poison (Nah joking, that will never happen).

I would do the same thing if I really have no intention to buy a car at that point in time. A test drive can take up to an hour of the SE's time and if I know I will probably not make a purchase, I'd rather he or she serve someone who at least has that intent.  

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I would do the same thing if I really have no intention to buy a car at that point in time. A test drive can take up to an hour of the SE's time and if I know I will probably not make a purchase, I'd rather he or she serve someone who at least has that intent.  

Maybe SE also have no business, lol.

Wanna hear your opinions. Cos lately been thinking of changing cars. Now when I say I wanna change cars, I can buy a new one tomorrow or talk about it for the next ten years without buying. You can reference my round the world trip that is 14 years in the making before I am finally going to do it.

Anyway, I am wondering if I will be wasting the SE time by doing test drives on cars I might not buy. Or even visiting showrooms to talk to SE. Those of you who know where I work, I work near some car showrooms so I can drop there literally during lunch as it's a five to teh minutes walk only.

Just wanna hear your views.

Yup thats known as a timewaster.

At least zoom in on the category and the price range that you want.

Dont waste peoples time and effort, bro.

People do it to feed their families

• Praise 3

Tbh test drive from showroom really cannot tell much about the car imo.

Used to be able to test over a much longer route, now very short.

Agreed not much point.

Somemore some people want to test all the safety features like emergency stop, lane change, and dunno what. Sorry unfamiliar with the terms.

One time my colleagues ask me stand in front of car try the what e brake feature, I dun wan then we ask agent to stand in front she also dun wan. All dun want, damn funny. Why the hell we wanna use a person to test safety features in the first place.

They tried dunno what safety features during test drives all did not activate. Then come the confusion whether they are enabled in the first place the agent also blur blur.

Test drive now so different from older days.

Wonder what you guys test for.

I only look out for stuff like body roll and stability of car, how is the gear changes, how the car accelerate and stop, throttle lag, blind spots. Basic stuff.

Wanna hear your opinions. Cos lately been thinking of changing cars. Now when I say I wanna change cars, I can buy a new one tomorrow or talk about it for the next ten years without buying. You can reference my round the world trip that is 14 years in the making before I am finally going to do it.

Anyway, I am wondering if I will be wasting the SE time by doing test drives on cars I might not buy. Or even visiting showrooms to talk to SE. Those of you who know where I work, I work near some car showrooms so I can drop there literally during lunch as it's a five to teh minutes walk only.

Just wanna hear your views.

I don't like to waste ppl's time if I have no intention to buy. There are plenty of internet car review clips and many of them are very detailed. I will shortlist the model I like from watching those car review, and when is about time to enter, I will go showroom for a test drive to confirm my choice.

Tbh test drive from showroom really cannot tell much about the car imo.

That's true. The 15-20 mins test drive can't tell much about the car. At most feel the sprint from traffic light.

• Praise 4

(edited)

I can drive any car, doesn't matter. Fast slow, big small, can drive can already. Problem is the wife.

She is short, have to make sure she can see.

Also, she will easily get motion sickness so have to get a non "floaty" car.

Edit: forgot to answer the question. Yes it's ok to test drive a car without buying. Maybe you're not sure but after testing you confirm want or don't want. Just don't purposely waste SE's time and test for fun.

Edited by Nicholas
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

Actually I believe the winning option is to be a sincere buyer and truthful up front. 

Something along the lines of.... Going to test your company model and the other company model because I was not able to rent vehicles of the same specs for test drive by my own. 

And go on with a real intention to buy or just straight away advertise as coming in to look look see see while vehicle is going through maintenance. 

Mr Nicholas,  My Mrs also need colour coordination as well.  Swee boh kinda deal. So the mini you see. 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

I can drive any car, doesn't matter. Fast slow, big small, can drive can already. Problem is the wife.

She is short, have to make sure she can see.

Also, she will easily get motion sickness so have to get a non "floaty" car.

Edit: forgot to answer the question. Yes it's ok to test drive a car without buying. Maybe you're not sure but after testing you confirm want or don't want. Just don't purposely waste SE's time and test for fun.

both me and my wife (to a lesser extent) have motion sickness as well.

hence always sedan for me.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I think all car AD should follow like Audi, they have a product that is Audi on demand and I personally like how it works, you key in the credit card number and you can have the flexibility to book an Audi for 4 hours minimum to 28 days max. I personally tried the A3 cabriolet which I would never buy and can’t afford for 1day. It works great as it allows you to drive it and the cars are all the current models.

that's interesting. I didn't know got such an option in SG.

My only rule: don't test drive cars I cannot currently afford. 

Why make myself depressed for the next 10-20yrs till I can afford one...  :D

my rule as well. Hence never stepped into the premium brands showroom once before.

Only visited the less premium conti brands before.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1