Is it all right to test drive cars if you are not buying?

Philipkee

Wanna hear your opinions. Cos lately been thinking of changing cars. Now when I say I wanna change cars, I can buy a new one tomorrow or talk about it for the next ten years without buying. You can reference my round the world trip that is 14 years in the making before I am finally going to do it.

Anyway, I am wondering if I will be wasting the SE time by doing test drives on cars I might not buy. Or even visiting showrooms to talk to SE. Those of you who know where I work, I work near some car showrooms so I can drop there literally during lunch as it's a five to teh minutes walk only.

Just wanna hear your views.

If u intend to buy or thinking to change then having test drive is ok since u have the intention.

If i really like the car and have some interest then i will go for test drive. If i dont like the car at first look (price, design, practicality etc) then i wont even bother to test and move on to next showroom

But if no intention to buy then dont waste SE time, even i sometimes free go see car decline to be served by SE.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

TS, if you are serious about buying a certain car, you should not be feeling guilty about requesting for a test drive especially if it will help you in making the decision.

btw i test drove the BM Sienta at Leng Kee, in the end bought hybrid from PI

• Praise 2

Walao... no ler... just jokingly taunting each other.

By the way, my colleagues eventually bought 2 units from this agent.

They should be collecting their cars today.

They cars got ABS anot?
  • Praise 1

They cars got ABS anot? ð

Eh I'm surprised I've managed to get a forum accunt. Wut ish I typing? ð«

Yi lang eh chia simi "s"ai boon wu eh...

Hypersonic

Here u are, quoted rental doesn’t include petrol, they give you the car in full tank and you can return it half full, they will top it up and charge it to your credit card.

I saw this being advertised at the Singapore motor show earlier this year at the Audi booth. Enjoy!

I booked the Audi TT for this weekend , runs on a 1.8TFSI with 250 Nm of torque, I am not too sure if it is the dry clutch though

Hypersonic

Some men like to touch touch only.

Thats why they go car shows.

The car show models told me.

:D

They go car shows just waiting to spread the "cars" lah...

Years back at one car show, I politely asked the model to stand one side cos I need to take photo of car only. The look on her face.
  • Praise 3

Nothing wrong with TS statement, except for wasting sales agent & own time.....but to each his own.

My own take on this:

I don't go round test driving models that I have no interest in, must be minimum IL6, or way out of my budget.

Would short list those that I may wish to buy, most importantly, the handling & feel.

Not too bothered about having those extra modern gadgets, which to me, are mostly unnecessary for experienced driver like me.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Years back at one car show, I politely asked the model to stand one side cos I need to take photo of car only. The look on her face.

Did the same thing in car shows but don't really care about the model's reactions.

Busy admiring and taking pictures of the car.

Turbocharged

i think testing of car is ok but do be considerate. when biz is good, dont take away sale person biz if you are not buying. let him entertain trje buyer.

very free, go test lor. he also bore nothing to do

So what do YOU do when you go to a car show? :D

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Actually, I don’t find test driving cars which I don’t intend to buy is wasting the salesperson’s time:

I find it is wasting my own time. [laugh]

• Praise 3

Supersonic

the model must have been not v chio haha...
  • Praise 1

OK. So an update. Not sure which thread to use so use this one since it seems like a logical continuation.

I test drove the Honda city just yesterday cos I told myself after my trip to test this car. The Honda City is the car i was thinking of buying. Again, please note the interval between thinking of buying can range from one day to years and years.... Not putting this in the Honda city thread since the review might not be so relevant.

My comments is that it is a very nice car to drive but the steering wheel is distracting with all the buttons. For reference, my current accent steering wheel only has the horn. No such thing as radio control buttons or cruise control.

Does cruise control affect your judgement as in make you lose concentration? I felt it did. Can't imagine if the GPS was on at the same time....

After weighing all the pro and con, I think I will keep my current car first. Stick with what I am used to until I get used to the idea of more gadgets in a car.