Taxis - High mileage, but still running well

song77

(edited)

Just to add on - during working trips to HK which I used cabs on occasion, some cab drivers have up 7 or 8 HP connected on his dashboard.  I dunno how many gf he has, but I was told these are his connections to groups for bookings and its not hard to get a cab when u book one.  

this not my pic, but I saw sth like this HK cab. 

post-20347-0-45529300-1528270063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gz0707
↡ Advertisement

Just to add on - during working trips to HK which I used cabs on occasion, some cab drivers have up 7 or 8 HP connected on his dashboard.  I dunno how many gf he has, but I was told these are his connections to groups for bookings and its not hard to get a cab when u book one.  

this not my pic, but I saw sth like this HK cab. 

Yes, many of them have to join such groups or platforms to get bookings. I'm now using such an app whenever I'm there, but as a passenger (I no longer drive as I'm not based in HK any more). Very easy, and can even input options like which routes to travel by, number of passengers, carrying pets, willing to wait or need urgently, discounts from 5% to 25% or willing to pay full fare (this will usually get you a cab very quickly) etc. It's very quick and easy to get a cab through these apps, except during shift changes. But it's quite easy to flag a cab on the street anyway. The main reason why I use these apps, apart from the discount, is so the driver knows exactly where I want to go and will not be unhappy with the destination for whatever reason (too short or too long), although this is no longer as common as it used to be. This always makes for a pleasant ride.

You can also book through calling the local taxi booking hotlines. Very old school but it works. Unless it's peak hour, can often get a cab in less than two minutes.

I couldn't join such platforms as I only drove 3 - 4 times a week back then and didn't have a fixed vehicle. 

• Praise 1

(edited)

My father currently driving the i40.

Previous 2 cabs include the sonata and Crown. Both of which during their 7-8 lifespan has to “reset” odometer cos reach 999999 liao.

Following strict servicing schedule is one thing. From what I heard is that the workshop/company will send reminders and if still don’t show up, will call to remind.

Any parts broken down or need to change, will change immediately. Cos if wait till it break down or even worse, lead to bigger issue, the down time is not worth it due to loss of income.

And yes, company pay is also another thing.

And of course he tolerates things like loose fittings and whatnot as Long as it doesn’t affect day to day operations. Besides, the company don’t place importance on minor cosmetic stuff.

Except of course those advertisements on the taxis.

Edited by RCTP
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

It's quite tough for most actually. One who works hard at it can still make an income, but this isn't high at all in relation to the time on the job and the high cost of living in HK.

Besides the fact that I lived out in the New Territories, the reason why I chose to drive a green taxi is that the income, though meagre, is stable. Was told by other friends who were also driving taxis that with red cabs, some days you might make quite a bit if lucky, while some days you might have trouble even covering your rental. With green cabs, at least in my district, one would make roughly the same amount every day, so it was considered stable.

Many cab drivers also join a group or network or use a booking app to be able to offer discounts of up to 80%, or offer discounts to people going on a regular route frequently, so that people are more likely to book their cabs for longer journeys. And some go the illegal route of touting and overcharging tourists or operating as a "shared taxi", meaning waiting at a known spot for five passengers who are strangers to one another to board the cab. The cab will leave once it's full, and say the fare is $100, each passenger pays $20. But the police launch sting operations against these illegal acts all the time so they aren't as common nowadays and they just don't pay, as jail terms and disqualification of licences are among the penalties.

Is it true that green cabs in Hong Kong are only allowed within certain areas of service only?

Is it true that green cabs in Hong Kong are only allowed within certain areas of service only?

Yes, only within most (not all) of the New Territories. They can also use the North Lantau Highway to go to the airport, but even in the airport, they're only allowed to drop passengers at the terminals and use the designated taxi stand and cannot access other peripheral roads in the airport area. Thus, the licence to own a green taxi, and subsequently the rates at which they are rented out and the flagdown, are all lower.

Supersonic

Yes, only within most (not all) of the New Territories. They can also use the North Lantau Highway to go to the airport, but even in the airport, they're only allowed to drop passengers at the terminals and use the designated taxi stand and cannot access other peripheral roads in the airport area. Thus, the licence to own a green taxi, and subsequently the rates at which they are rented out and the flagdown, are all lower.

Thanks for your input.

How about those blue taxis?

070213_Lantau-Taxi_2002_Toyota-Crown-Com

These are Lantau taxis. They can only operate on Lantau Island, including the airport area and Disneyland.

There are currently only 50 of them at any one time, and for a very long time the quota has never been increased. Apparently there might be plans to increase the quota, but nothing concrete yet if I'm not mistaken.

With only 50 taxis to serve the island, which is always full of tourists and expats, and many journeys being good ones that make good money, they are literally the best kind of taxi to drive in Hong Kong. There are almost never any available for rental - it is rare that regular hirers give up unless they pass on or move out of the area. There was once an ad looking for a day shift driver for a blue taxi - I called ten minutes after the ad was posted, but it was already taken!

Most Crown taxis in HK are now auto. But because of the mountainous terrain, many owners of blue taxis have stubbornly kept their old Crowns and Nissan Cedrics which are manual, with the old fashioned column shifter. These are over 15 - 17 years old by now, but I rode in one quite recently and was absolutely amazed at the condition. Sure, the suspension was getting a bit rough, but the interior was well kept and the engine was quiet and smooth, an impressive fact in itself given that the transmission was a four-speed manual! How long has it been since most of us have ever seen a four-speed manual?

Thanks for your input.

How about those blue taxis?

070213_Lantau-Taxi_2002_Toyota-Crown-Com

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Taxis are mostly diesel and diesel engines are built for really high milage.

:D

MIL-age ....... you oso Preambree Tree
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

These are Lantau taxis. They can only operate on Lantau Island, including the airport area and Disneyland.

There are currently only 50 of them at any one time, and for a very long time the quota has never been increased. Apparently there might be plans to increase the quota, but nothing concrete yet if I'm not mistaken.

With only 50 taxis to serve the island, which is always full of tourists and expats, and many journeys being good ones that make good money, they are literally the best kind of taxi to drive in Hong Kong. There are almost never any available for rental - it is rare that regular hirers give up unless they pass on or move out of the area. There was once an ad looking for a day shift driver for a blue taxi - I called ten minutes after the ad was posted, but it was already taken!

Most Crown taxis in HK are now auto. But because of the mountainous terrain, many owners of blue taxis have stubbornly kept their old Crowns and Nissan Cedrics which are manual, with the old fashioned column shifter. These are over 15 - 17 years old by now, but I rode in one quite recently and was absolutely amazed at the condition. Sure, the suspension was getting a bit rough, but the interior was well kept and the engine was quiet and smooth, an impressive fact in itself given that the transmission was a four-speed manual! How long has it been since most of us have ever seen a four-speed manual?

Thanks for sharing.

Indeed Hong Kong cabbies also take pride of their vehicles.

Supercharged

With Crown being out of production, what taxi type will they move to in future?

In recent years alternatives included the Nissan Cedric (disappeared from HK market for a long time but reintroduced with a new engine and a few other upgrades, and the only newer taxi still licensed to carry five passengers), as well as Nissan NV200 (runs on both petrol and LPG if I'm not wrong), Ford Transit, Toyota Prius and BYD electric vehicles. But the Crown remains the most popular due to familiarity and ease of getting spare parts. No idea what will be the major mass market replacement in future, but as it has always been, many owners will still hold on to their old Crowns, as there is no age limit in HK, and for those newer Crowns registered in the last few years, I bet many owners are not going to be in a hurry to change them for something of unknown (as yet) reliability.

Twincharged

A Chinese Company bought the "London Cab Taxi" Company,maybe using it,since Hong Kong is part of China now.

Supersonic

In recent years alternatives included the Nissan Cedric (disappeared from HK market for a long time but reintroduced with a new engine and a few other upgrades, and the only newer taxi still licensed to carry five passengers), as well as Nissan NV200 (runs on both petrol and LPG if I'm not wrong), Ford Transit, Toyota Prius and BYD electric vehicles. But the Crown remains the most popular due to familiarity and ease of getting spare parts. No idea what will be the major mass market replacement in future, but as it has always been, many owners will still hold on to their old Crowns, as there is no age limit in HK, and for those newer Crowns registered in the last few years, I bet many owners are not going to be in a hurry to change them for something of unknown (as yet) reliability.

Nissan Cedric still in production?

I think Hong Kong is using the new Toyota taxi model that is new in Japan.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2119916/hong-kong-taxis-go-greener-new-fuel-efficient-hybrids-set

23517411_10155780411339259_4491281685894

And I found this in google.

HK used to use the Mercedes Benz Ponton as well for taxis.  [jawdrop]

Taxi%20Hong%20Kong%201969.jpg?itok=GCXt5

Not sure about now, but as recent as two years back, I recall that brand new Cedrics were still available, with only a few minor upgrades from the old model which has been around for ages. 

Interesting - haven't seen any of these on the roads in HK yet. I still go back there every couple of months. 

In the old days they had a wider variety of cars used as taxis. Then it became 98% Crown and 2% Cedric. It's still largely a majority of Crown today, but I guess we'll see more variety as replacements for the Crown and Cedric come in.

Nissan Cedric still in production?

I think Hong Kong is using the new Toyota taxi model that is new in Japan.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2119916/hong-kong-taxis-go-greener-new-fuel-efficient-hybrids-set

And I found this in google.

HK used to use the Mercedes Benz Ponton as well for taxis.  [jawdrop]

Supercharged

Not sure about now, but as recent as two years back, I recall that brand new Cedrics were still available, with only a few minor upgrades from the old model which has been around for ages. 

Interesting - haven't seen any of these on the roads in HK yet. I still go back there every couple of months. 

In the old days they had a wider variety of cars used as taxis. Then it became 98% Crown and 2% Cedric. It's still largely a majority of Crown today, but I guess we'll see more variety as replacements for the Crown and Cedric come in.

BTW no Uber in HK?

I see adverts for DiDi already, so I assume they are entering the market.

Yes, I heard from friends that the DiDi app is already in use in HK, but there are apparently some bugs, such as the app's English version does not work the moment you cross the border from mainland China to HK.

Uber has always been around in HK but in a far lower profile way than in other countries. The usual UberX or whatever the equivalent is called there is still considered illegal as HK has certain laws about providing chauffeur and rental services; there have been a few high-profile protests by taxi unions and arrests of Uber employees and drivers.

BTW no Uber in HK?

I see adverts for DiDi already, so I assume they are entering the market.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1