Public Buses of Yesterday

SiLangKia

(edited)

13. SBS Mercedes-Benz O303 (1984-1996)

SBS%2520First%2520Aircon%2520Bus%2520Ser

This was the 1st ever Air-con bus service by SBS in 1984, on service 168 from AMK to Orchard Road, there were only about 8 of these buses brought in by SBS, wonder how many of you guys remember this

14. One from a pre-SBS era, the Singapore Traction Company (STC) Nissan RX102K3 (1963 onwards)

STC-Nissan-Omnibus-1967.jpg

These were eventually taken over by SBS, and used till their retirement in 1979 

Interesting fact: STC609, was found in a scrapyard and restored as part of LTA's our bus journey campaign in 2016

STC609-Restoration-by-Lexbuild-1-300x187 STC609-Restoration-by-Lexbuild-2-300x188

STC609-Restoration-by-Lexbuild-3-300x188 STC609-Restoration-by-Lexbuild-5-300x187

STC609-Restoration-by-Lexbuild-6-300x187 STC609-1-300x200.jpg

source: http://landtransportguru.net/singapore-traction-company-mockup-bus/

Edited by SiLangKia
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

If you all oldies can remember  [laugh] there was this special bus which has a seat and counter for pregnant bus conductress. She sits there and commuters Q up to buy tickets. Yes, inside the bus.  [grin]

Any picture? Think not my era de.  [:p]

Oh sorry, it was service 138 from Shenton Way to Ang Mo Kio.

Scared like hell . . .  [laugh]

Memorable indeed!

Service 138 last time got double decker de? Think now this service goes to zoo.

Turbocharged

11. CSS British-Leyland 900FG, Bodywork by Soon Chow (1975 onwards)

1975-css3.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find pictures of the rear so I'm not sure if this is the one with a rear opening door, but this is one of the better pictures of old CSS buses available. The 900FG was a small sized bus used by CDD from 1975-1987, dunno if anyone remembers it [laugh]

12. CSS Mercedes-Benz O309, Bodywork by Chua Heng & Soon Chow (1975 onwards)

holland-road-bus-terminal-1975.jpg

The bus in this pic, CSS102D, was the first O309 registered under CSS in 1975 and they ran on CSS service till 1987 [:)]

Yup. This the one. Only manage to take it once. Only bus i took just for the sake of riding in it.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Yup. This the one. Only manage to take it once. Only bus i took just for the sake of riding in it.

Thought this type of bus always used in primary school last time to ferry students to excursion?

11. CSS British-Leyland 900FG, Bodywork by Soon Chow (1975 onwards)

1975-css3.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find pictures of the rear so I'm not sure if this is the one with a rear opening door, but this is one of the better pictures of old CSS buses available. The 900FG was a small sized bus used by CDD from 1975-1987, dunno if anyone remembers it [laugh]

12. CSS Mercedes-Benz O309, Bodywork by Chua Heng & Soon Chow (1975 onwards)

holland-road-bus-terminal-1975.jpg

The bus in this pic, CSS102D, was the first O309 registered under CSS in 1975 and they ran on CSS service till 1987 [:)]

No. None of these. It was non-aircon and same length as normal sbs buses. But the uniqueness was the rear exit/entrance door. So everyone will automatically move to the rear of the bus to alight.

Turbocharged

Compared to the past, public buses have not made very significant changes. Fare collection methods have changed. But buses are still jerky. Some SBS buses until a few years ago were still having crude body work. Something like thickish metal plates welded together. Look like tanks. Got pic?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

This was the 1st ever Air-con bus service by SBS in 1984, on service 168 from AMK to Orchard Road, there were only about 8 of these buses brought in by SBS, wonder how many of you guys remember this

This bus consider very atas and comfortable public bus back then.

how come no one post the picture of those single desk yellow colour bus.

Their fare the cheaper amongst all buses.

bus 111 bus conductor I don't think coin machine yet.

I have kept stack of those colourful bus ticket. from 5 cents upward.

Buses in Malaysia are still using that.

Already have coin machines. Look at the front, the orange tall box is where we drop coins. The smaller orange object is the driver pad.

Hypersonic

That time I purposely went to AMK to take a bus ride on this to Orchard road. It was on a loop ride, so one round return back to AMK.

• Praise 1

That time I purposely went to AMK to take a bus ride on this to Orchard road. It was on a loop ride, so one round return back to AMK.

I think I would do the same too, just to try sitting in it HAHA

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

Those were the time where auntie will smack the seats before they can sit, else kenna std or something. Also remember as a kid, I had a hard time pulling the windows down when it rained. In the end got to change seats. Also, during rainy days, most of the seats are wet, becoz all the windows are left opened.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2

14. One from a pre-SBS era, the Singapore Traction Company (STC) Nissan RX102K3 (1963 onwards)

These were eventually taken over by SBS, and used till their retirement in 1979 

Interesting fact: STC609, was found in a scrapyard and restored as part of LTA's our bus journey campaign in 2016

source: http://landtransportguru.net/singapore-traction-company-mockup-bus/

Ah Boy arh .............. You not born yet   <_<  

• Praise 4

No. None of these. It was non-aircon and same length as normal sbs buses. But the uniqueness was the rear exit/entrance door. So everyone will automatically move to the rear of the bus to alight.

Yup, i remembered bus service 153 had it... i think...

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Last time these buses the doorbell always on the roof de, so feel very stressful when getting down the bus if no one is getting down as well, cause cannot reach the roof strip bell. Lol.

Lol...dats y i started to use a ruler after missing my stop once as too scared to ask stranger. Those days cannot talk to stranger. Wait they kidnap and behead u and place under bridge u noe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1