• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
62 replies to this topic | 243 praises

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:30 PM

carloverguy2017
  • carloverguy2017
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

antelop, Dleodleo and 1 Anonymous member praised this
It's PNE ! PLay Not Enough lah...

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:14 AM

Zxcvb
  • Zxcvb
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Very underrated tourist spot. This place better than Hong Kong's The Peak.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:04 AM

Neutrino
  • Neutrino
    Supercharged
    Author Image

The views from Penang Hill are great and the funicular ride is good.  It isn't always working though so check.

The views in Penang are much better than where we went on today up the funicular to the old town of Bergamo in Italy.

But the restaurants at the top of Penang Hill aren't very good and apart from the views there really isn't much else.

Whereas in Bergamo there are loads of good restaurants - not over priced, small alleys to wander around, many cafes to people watch and the interior of at least three of the churches rival the Sistine Chapel for brilliance.

Just saying like, because we like going to Penang.

Edited by Neutrino, 08 June 2018 - 01:08 AM.

There is no law without enforcement

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Only went there once more than 25 yrs ago. Taking the old train up.
Only feeling is the temperature felt significant cooler after a short ride .

Edited by Tohto, 08 June 2018 - 10:19 AM.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Only went there once more than 25 yrs ago. Taking the old train up.
Only feeling is the temperature felt significant cooler after a short ride .

I went there as a boy. Haven't been back to penang since. 

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Think i went only once which was at least 10 years ago.

Edited by 13177, 08 June 2018 - 10:54 AM.

Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Aristotle
  • Aristotle
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Went for the ride, which my sons really love. But really really crowded with tourists when I went there abt 1.5 years ago.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

Mcf777
  • Mcf777
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

drove to penang hill last year. nice scenery

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

Aristotle
  • Aristotle
    5th Gear
    Author Image

drove to penang hill last year. nice scenery

Thought I am one of few crazy fellas who drove to Penang. I also do that. LOL! And at least 4-5 times over last 4 years to explore different parts of Penang. The beaches, the countryside for the farms, the food, and the shopping! 😍
Mcf777 praised this

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thought I am one of few crazy fellas who drove to Penang. I also do that. LOL! And at least 4-5 times over last 4 years to explore different parts of Penang. The beaches, the countryside for the farms, the food, and the shopping! ð

Why driving to Penang Hill is crazy ?

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:15 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Why driving to Penang Hill is crazy ?

just fly there and rent a car lah  [laugh]

even my uncle who used to drive up also now does that. he has a condo there.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:23 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Only if you just want to stay in Penang mah. Drive there can stop by other towns for other makan mah .. fresh fruits and vegetables in Johor, freshwater fish in Pahang, freshwater prawns in Perak, old traditional seafood in Nibong Tebal before crossing to Penang island for mountain durians. [laugh]

just fly there and rent a car lah  [laugh]

even my uncle who used to drive up also now does that. he has a condo there.

Lala81 and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

serenade
  • Premium member
    serenade
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I was at Penang Hill last March. I rented a Honda Accord to explore the island, mainland, and south, to Ipoh.

Paid covered parking is available at the foothill. Funicular railway tickets buy from sheltered entrance block. The Q can be quite long. Best time to go is evening, then you can see the switch from day to night as the city lights come on.

You can walk around the hill, or rent a golf cart taxi to the various old houses. Interesting places to visit are :

1. Monkey Cup Garden

2. Penang Hill Hotel 

3. Sky walks with views

4. Holiday homes of the rich, that had seen better times.

At Monkey Cup, can see different types of pitcher plants, and have a cup of coffee in the middle of the jungle. Note that toilet facilities are basic (think hut over a drain with no flushing), and best avoided unless urgent.

Penang Hill Hotel serves tea with a view of Georgetown in the open verandah. I like the steamboat dinner best. Hearty serving at reasonable price, eaten as the night cools and the sun sets. Unforgettable.

If you like ruins, take a cart to historical Hotel Crag. Once a splendid place to recover from the heat, but now unoccupied and the jungle has reclaimed the buildings. A treat for paranormal hunters, and snake catchers.    

The back of the island has good durian plantations, and the best assam laksa I ever had was at a Balik Pulau village coffee shop. 

Lala81, Dleodleo, Cauldron, Kopites and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

carloverguy2017
  • carloverguy2017
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Very underrated tourist spot. This place better than Hong Kong's The Peak.

Yes indeed under-rated. 
I've been to Hong Kong's The Peak and all I get was a crowded hill top with no where to even take a great scenery.
All selfies sticks roaming around on your face and in the background.
Of course, The Peak has really cool weather, but that is just that.

Spent 45 minutes in the MacDonald's to get a meal. 

But Penang Hill is not for everyone.

This cup of tea is only good if your other half ( and kids ) are willing to walk.

Otherwise, forget it. 

Your day will be spoilt.

I was at Penang Hill last March. I rented a Honda Accord to explore the island, mainland, and south, to Ipoh.

Paid covered parking is available at the foothill. Funicular railway tickets buy from sheltered entrance block. The Q can be quite long. Best time to go is evening, then you can see the switch from day to night as the city lights come on.

You can walk around the hill, or rent a golf cart taxi to the various old houses. Interesting places to visit are :

1. Monkey Cup Garden

2. Penang Hill Hotel 

3. Sky walks with views

4. Holiday homes of the rich, that had seen better times.

At Monkey Cup, can see different types of pitcher plants, and have a cup of coffee in the middle of the jungle. Note that toilet facilities are basic (think hut over a drain with no flushing), and best avoided unless urgent.

Penang Hill Hotel serves tea with a view of Georgetown in the open verandah. I like the steamboat dinner best. Hearty serving at reasonable price, eaten as the night cools and the sun sets. Unforgettable.

If you like ruins, take a cart to historical Hotel Crag. Once a splendid place to recover from the heat, but now unoccupied and the jungle has reclaimed the buildings. A treat for paranormal hunters, and snake catchers.    

The back of the island has good durian plantations, and the best assam laksa I ever had was at a Balik Pulau village coffee shop. 

I will find time in my next trip to visit the Monkey Cup Garden and several other gardens within.
I will also try to make it on an evening for some sunset footage. 

I'm always venturing alone in Penang, so I can choose how I want to do with my trip. hehehe 

1 Anonymous member praised this
It's PNE ! PLay Not Enough lah...

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thought I am one of few crazy fellas who drove to Penang. I also do that. LOL! And at least 4-5 times over last 4 years to explore different parts of Penang. The beaches, the countryside for the farms, the food, and the shopping! 😍

Drive to penang from sg?! I always wanted to do that but never happen.  [:p]

Dleodleo praised this

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

Dleodleo
  • Premium member
    Dleodleo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Drive to penang from sg?! I always wanted to do that but never happen.  [:p]

I also dun think my family can endure the 9 hours+  road trip to Penang.  Thus we did some stopovers in Cameron Highlands before Penang and Ipoh and Malacca after Penang.  Like that not so tired.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:38 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I also dun think my family can endure the 9 hours+  road trip to Penang.  Thus we did some stopovers in Cameron Highlands before Penang and Ipoh and Malacca after Penang.  Like that not so tired.

Must stopover for a night along the way, dont think can drive straight from sg to penang. And must be more than one driver throughout the trip.

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Dleodleo
  • Premium member
    Dleodleo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Must stopover for a night along the way, dont think can drive straight from sg to penang. And must be more than one driver throughout the trip.

My friend's spouse drove all the way to Penang with one driver, they left the house at 3am.  

We find it too early and journey too long as we also one driver that's why we didn't follow him.   

Uncle2, Newbie26 and Carbon82 praised this

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:52 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

My friend's spouse drove all the way to Penang with one driver, they left the house at 3am.  

We find it too early and journey too long as we also one driver that's why we didn't follow him.   

Your friend must be used to long distance driving, thats why can drive all the way to Penang. Maybe when younger i can also do such thing, but as i get older, cannot drive too long on the road. Lol.

Dleodleo praised this

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

Aristotle
  • Aristotle
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Drive to penang from sg?! I always wanted to do that but never happen. [:p]

Not all the way from SG. Driving anything beyond 5 hrs is quite torturous and not forgetting the jams you may get during peak hours. Always like to break up. Normally stopover at KL or Ipoh
Dleodleo praised this

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: penang hill, malaysia tour and 4 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users