Inflated insurance claim; What to do?

wlalala

Hi all,

Renewed inspiration to follow up and engage possible channels for enforcement or look into my case lead me to here, I try to keep it short.

July 2017 side sweep minor accident(got video, that driver reported as I rear-end him), said driver left in a hurry, didn't want to talk and didn't exchange details, case still pending, unsettled till date.

My car left few months at that time, scuff that pickup's side rubber/plastic bumper protector, my fender 1 hole, he came from behind me, report etc SOP all done, I go ask beat panel and spray how much, quoted about $150, that driver claim 6k+ repair and 6k+ medical, pickup allegedly scrapped shortly after the incident.

Insurer was NTUC, they even had problem facilitating video submission, deal with claims? fingers crossed.

I can feel some of you here, who went through similar experiences as I did, I feel there should be some regulation and enforcement.

One type rice feed hundred type people.

Do insurers only pay out on production of receipts.

I can see that garage repair receipts might be 'forged' but even then the money has to go through the books.

Medical receipts though wouldn't have benefit to the driver???

↡ Advertisement

I have personal experience that once it is established that it is one of the driver fault, it is really like a blank cheque situation.

I exiting parking lot, with the other vehicle side swipe the front of my vehicle. Damages only rear door scratches for other driver. He wanted 5k for private settlement so I went with insurance route.

When reporting to my insurance company, they said this one will be 100% my fault. When claim letter came, the amount to be claimed against me was 20k plus. I saw lost of vehicle use, rental, medical bills on top of repairs.

Funny thing is the other driver is senior guy 70+ years old and he called me to confirm my address when meeting with his insurance company, and he forgot to end the call after speaking with me so I ended up hearing things being discussed that are really trying to maximise the pay out.

Lucky is insurance company settle. Just sharing. Haha

Edited by tektok

I have personal experience that once it is established that it is one of the driver fault, it is really like a blank cheque situation.

I exiting parking lot, with the other vehicle side swipe the front of my vehicle. Damages only rear door scratches for other driver. He wanted 5k for private settlement so I went with insurance route.

When reporting to my insurance company, they said this one will be 100% my fault. When claim letter came, the amount to be claimed against me was 20k plus. I saw lost of vehicle use, rental, medical bills on top of repairs.

Funny thing is the other driver is senior guy 70+ years old and he called me to confirm my address when meeting with his insurance company, and he forgot to end the call after speaking with me so I ended up hearing things being discussed that are really trying to maximise the pay out.

Lucky is insurance company settle. Just sharing. Haha

That's awful.

So do you know how the exaggerated claim is split.

The claimant gets how many %

The insurance company gets how many %

How are doctors bills accounted for

The garage gets how many %

Is there a formula for splitting this 'illegal' money.

Maybe even your insurance company gets a cut!

Edited by Neutrino

That's awful.

Don't forget the lawyers.

All need buy house buy cars buy food, and more...

[sweatdrop]

i remember some year back, my dad old sonata got bang in the rear by a civic, the damage i thought about 500+- can done properly.

but the civic damage quite bad, and owner say want pay 200 only.

in the end claim, total come up to 28k including inj suffer( old man already )

think twice when u want to report insurance, esp when u are in the fault, just admit it say sorry , 

even if opposite demand a bill higher then u gauge, just give in,

(COS U BANG PPL, not ppl bang u )

• Praise 1

That's awful.

I don't know the specifics, but what I heard really made me upset, so much so that I didn't put it on speaker and audio record the convo.

Basically, the agent tells the uncle in his opinion this one is 100% my fault hence can claim gao gao.

I don't think they exaggerated the claim amount because it is illegal, but they basically squeezed everything for the benefit of the driver and more business for parties involved.

- maximum number of days in workshop for repairs for rear door scratches (if remember correctly, i think is 20 days).

- lost of vehicle can claim one day $500 so he told the uncle to "later go behind and choose, BMW or Porche all ok". (he was originally driving Honda City)

- Driver and passangers even if not injured just go doctor get free check up. Also told uncle to go for eye test as he is over 70, so if pass eye test can use it to "cover backside", if not there is a chance cannot claim.

Although it is all handled by insurance company, and it is established as my fault, the whole ordeal just left a sour taste in my mouth how this loophole exist to take advantage of the situation.

Edited by tektok
  • Praise 1

I don't know the specifics, but what I heard really made me upset, so much so that I didn't put it on speaker and audio record the convo.

Basically, the agent tells the uncle in his opinion this one is 100% my fault hence can claim gao gao.

I don't think they exaggerated the claim amount because it is illegal, but they basically squeezed everything for the benefit of the driver and more business for parties involved.

- maximum number of days in workshop for repairs for rear door scratches (if remember correctly, i think is 20 days).

- lost of vehicle can claim one day $500 so he told the uncle to "later go behind and choose, BMW or Porche all ok". (he was originally driving Honda City)

- Driver and passangers even if not injured just go doctor get free check up. Also told uncle to go for eye test as he is over 70, so if pass eye test can use it to "cover backside", if not there is a chance cannot claim.

Although it is all handled by insurance company, and it is established as my fault, the whole ordeal just left a sour taste in my mouth how this loophole exist to take advantage of the situation.

Where got ppl who don’t exploit loopholes?

You should sent the conversation to your insurer. The claims might be repudiated.

Supercharged

rationale for reporting insurance instead of private settlement? well, i have NCB protection, so going the insurance route is fine with me. even if premium goes up by a couple of hundreds. 

Private settlement also fine but I don't want any trouble and wasting time on a minor accident. 

Bro... NCD protection is white elephant lah... you still will get loaded in some creative way.

Anyway you will soon realize, once you receive your next insurance renewal.

is like that one la.

if u are the one at fault, u sure want to pay less.

if u are the one kana banged, u sure want to make sure u are fully compensated. and also more kiasu compensation because why should you suffer when is not your fault? 

Supercharged

http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/boss-kaki-bukit-car-workshop-arrested-after-allegedly-hitting-customers-head-hammer

$8,000 commission for referring his friend's accident car to the workshop - who knows how inflated the insurance claims are. 

This means for each accident vehicle, the profit for the workshop is easily over 10k.

No wonder workshops no interest in doing honest servicing or repair business. Just need to scam motorist/insurance, money flow in at 10x rate.

This means for each accident vehicle, the profit for the workshop is easily over 10k.

No wonder workshops no interest in doing honest servicing or repair business. Just need to scam motorist/insurance, money flow in at 10x rate.

This must put to stop. It's been the longest time ever this had been happening and no one in the parliament voice this out. Disappointing.. Edited by Yewheng

This must put to stop. It's been the longest time ever this had been happening and no one in the parliament voice this out. Disappointing..

What to voice out?

Currently, there is only 550k car on the road.  It is the concern of minority.

Just to share my own experience.

A few years ago on TPE I was changing lane and half way in the mercedes taxi infront of me jammed brake so I langgar his backside. He suffered scratches on the rear bumper and my car front right headlight cracked, bumper out of alignment etc. 

Got out of vehicle, exchanged particulars and took photos. I somemore good guy asked if he and his passenger are ok. He smiled and said ok, no worries, he rushing to send passenger to airport catch flight and went off.

Then his insurance claim came. KNS over $10k. Included a whole list of medical conditions as a result of the accident. what whiplash lah, what spinal injury lah, etc. And car repair included change of whole bumper, rear lights, etc. 

Contacted my insurance company and had even sent them the video clip of the accident but end up I still really LL and nothing I could do even though I knew it was a very unjustified claim and case. Angry and disappointed with the car insurance mechanism in Singapore. 

A few years ago on TPE I was changing lane and half way in the mercedes taxi infront of me jammed brake so I langgar his backside. He suffered scratches on the rear bumper and my car front right headlight cracked, bumper out of alignment etc. 

Got out of vehicle, exchanged particulars and took photos. I somemore good guy asked if he and his passenger are ok. He smiled and said ok, no worries, he rushing to send passenger to airport catch flight and went off.

Then his insurance claim came. KNS over $10k. Included a whole list of medical conditions as a result of the accident. what whiplash lah, what spinal injury lah, etc. And car repair included change of whole bumper, rear lights, etc. 

Contacted my insurance company and had even sent them the video clip of the accident but end up I still really LL and nothing I could do even though I knew it was a very unjustified claim and case. Angry and disappointed with the car insurance mechanism in Singapore. 

Exactly is my same sentiments.

Once establish is one party fault 100% is an blank cheque situation...

I was telling my friend the other day, my previous accident (due to my fault), resulted in scratches on rear to rear side panel = $20k. imagine if it is a major accident I think might as well can buy a new car liao.  [laugh]

Edited by tektok
  • Praise 1

Yes this must put to stop, hope this kind of thing keep spread and make it big so that ministers in charge will take notice of it and then start to do something about it. Hack care about what insurance association meeting with relevant agencies. Maybe these people in the association are the one that just good at sweet talking and will talk the way out so as not to rock the boat. Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

A few years ago there was a case where a car hit a cement mixer that was coming out from a construction site to the main road. The traffic controller put up the lollipop sign to indicate to car driver to stop but somehow driver refused to stop (mixer was already well on the road) and end hit the cement mixer (or maybe she was dreaming, not sure). In any case, several months later the cement mixer company received a lawyer letter seeking damages. 

So, while i am not exactly sire how the above came to be (as in why didn't the 2 insurance companies settle between themselves or car owner not satisfied with the outcome of the negotiation?), it does seem that it might be possible for car owners to instruct our insurer NOT to pay and settle in court instead.

↡ Advertisement