Obike ceased operations in SG due to LTA restrictions

Jman888

Hypersonic

Pple like to kaopeh PMD. Well less sharing bicycles, means more PMD [laugh]

Heheh, bike sharing is the lesser evil.
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Ya I saw that in Shanghai. They help park the bikes nicely according to brand also

Meanwbile, grab say obike gg not their problem. Not gonna help.

uh... it really isn't their problem what.

why should they help?

(edited)

Actually it's not feasible to punish the company for indiscriminate parking of their users. If you rent a car and commit traffic or parking offense, it's the driver's fault and not the rental company.

Setting up designated bike parking lots goes against the whole dockless bike sharing idea, no wonder they chose to throw in the towel.

Looks like bike sharing is doomed to fail here due to over-regulation.

Mayb it's because these operators know of such indiscriminate behaviour and despite the authorities telling them to put in place measures to curb such behaviour, have done little to nothing of the sort. So LL now have to come in and strong arm them and regulate user behaviour.

Which part is punishing the company? Is the company getting fined or going to jail? No.

Similar to renting car right? There are rules and regulations pertaining to driving and parking. Rental companies also don't allow their cars to anyhow drive or anyhow park.

Imo obike just does not want to invest in making sure their users abide by the rules and are foreseeing less users riding their bikes, or they are just using this as an excuse to exit the market

Edited by Mockngbrd

Cos they have more trucks and people going around to collect/arrange over there.

But all these bike rental companies are sustained by over exuberant VCs' money. Once that runs out (Obike is probably the first), they will chiong kong deposits and then cease operations.

In China tier 1 city, use truck sure stuck in jam long long.

A lot of times, these bikes are collected using electric trishaw.

Well, in China, there are excessive liquidity. Every mth, there is 1 share bike co collapse.

Mayb it's because these operators know of such indiscriminate behaviour and despite the authorities telling them to put in place measures to curb such behaviour, have done little to nothing of the sort. So LL now have to come in and strong arm them and regulate user behaviour.

Which part is punishing the company? Is the company getting fined or going to jail? No.

Similar to renting car right? There are rules and regulations pertaining to driving and parking. Rental companies also don't allow their cars to anyhow drive or anyhow park.

Imo obike just does not want to invest in making sure their users abide by the rules and are foreseeing less users riding their bikes, or they are just using this as an excuse to exit the market

The new rule is stupid 1 la.

Anyway, likely authorities run out of ideas.

Supersonic

Ya I saw that in Shanghai. They help park the bikes nicely according to brand also

Meanwbile, grab say obike gg not their problem. Not gonna help.

Rec email from grab and they have:

1. Refunded my monthly subscription - $3

2. added free 4 weeks subscription - they still have 1 small partner called anywheels but i've never seen their bikes around so this is actually quite useless

3. Gave me a $3 promo code for grab

Yipee can take home and saw off the lock

and give to the kids to play.

The company bankrupt so not going to

come after you.

Maybe put stickers to cover up the yellow 

colour.  [thumbsup]

:D

(edited)

LTA wants them to setup a system for users to return bike to specific return points, i think itâs not easy to implement such a system and will be costly which will affect their profit greatly. How much can they earn from renting out a bike.

Think Taiwan Gov and the main bicycle manufacturer GIANT has managed to do it properly.

How I wish we remove all these bikes and start afresh with a holistic approach like what they did for car sharing scheme. no need to think outside the box or within, proven.

Difficult lah

People here still lack civic mindedness.

In China, can work because labour is cheaper and can hire people just to collect bike.

Unless our people can be like the Japanese who clean up the stadium after the football match.

Than I say the bike sharing will work here.

Here don't litter the stadium is already an amazement.

The new rule is stupid 1 la.

Anyway, likely authorities run out of ideas.

Blanket policies is the be-all end-all approach. Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

LTA wants them to setup a system for users to return bike to specific return points, i think it’s not easy to implement such a system and will be costly which will affect their profit greatly. How much can they earn from renting out a bike.

Not easy to implement such system on bicycle like those car sharing scheme. Thats why users must be considerate and civic

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Good to see lesser of these bike sharing, they are indeed a nuisance to the surrounding and also pose a danger to people. Just now at the lift landing nearly one user on these bike knocked onto me!

• Praise 1

knn how to get back my deposit?

Just keep the bike lah.

They don't need it back.  [thumbsup]

:D

Jut don't forget to put your own

lock on it.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Try contacting Edward Chen. 

https://mothership.sg/2018/06/obike-founder-edward-chen/

According to the the article, the deposits seem to be small fry compared to the multimillions fund from unknown source that had been raised and injected into the company. Is this just a high profile washing machine? 

Edited by Vratenza

Supersonic

Even if you get your money back, it will cost you more time and effort than to just forget about it.

When borders fell, my wife had a 20$ gift card which we managed to get refunded after jumping thru lotsa hoops and waiting a damn long time.

Right now you are basically an unsecured creditor of the sg entity of obike so you'll only get your money if there is anything left over after the govts and employees (and any other secured or priority creditors) get their money back first.

Try not to think about it

Supersonic

Try contacting Edward Chen.

https://mothership.sg/2018/06/obike-founder-edward-chen/

According to the the article, the deposits seem to be small fry compared to the multimillions fund from unknown source that had been raised and injected into the company. Is this just a high profile washing machine?

Washing machine or not, difficult to say unless finances are examined but I doubt it. There's too much liquidity in the market so people act stupid with it.

Anyway, the business model was clearly unsustainable so it should have been quite obvious that some of the companies would fail and some consumers might lose their deposits.

(edited)

Washing machine or not, difficult to say unless finances are examined but I doubt it. There's too much liquidity in the market so people act stupid with it.

Anyway, the business model was clearly unsustainable so it should have been quite obvious that some of the companies would fail and some consumers might lose their deposits.

Like investing in cryptocurrencies.  Sooner or later most if not all would collapse to zero.

MCF should launch cryptos too, by awarding 1 coin per point to members!

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement