Where can you get a nice complete meal for <$5 in Singapore?

therock

(edited)

Singapore is fast becoming more and more expensive to live in, and it's not so easy to get a decent meal for <$5.

So let's help one another find good meal for less.

It should be tasty most importantly, filling and hopefully include a drink..

I just had lunch with a bro, and we can get the ball rolling:

At Lengkok Bahru, there is a coffee shop with a quaint ambience, and there under a big tree, you can find a place to eat that fulfils all three. Plus it's near to the service centres at Leng Kee:

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/food/wholesome-comforting-fishball-noodles

https://ordinarypatrons.com/2017/11/09/lengkok-bahru-fishball-noodles/

The coffee shop has just two stalls - a low-key noodle stall called Block 58 Lengkok Bahru Minced Meat Noodle and a drinks stall that also sells traditional soft, steamed bread.

It closes on some Sundays, as indicated by a little sign on the wall. You will be glad to know it is open today.

Kway teow tng (flat-rice noodles in soup) and bee tai mak tng (short rice noodles that resemble rat's tails in soup) are my usual go-to dishes at fishball noodle stalls and this stall does a good version, with a few cubes of pork lard and a splash of scallion oil.

There is also mee pok, mee kia and mee sua, which you can have dry or in soup.

If you opt for dry noodles, be sure to ask for additional chilli and vinegar so that there will be enough to coat each strand. My mee pok tar last week was far too dry.

Prices start at $3 a bowl. Each bowl of noodles comes with slices of fishcake, fishballs, meat balls and well-seasoned minced pork and lean pork slices.

On a low-carb diet? Order a tasty bowl of liao tang (ingredients in soup) instead. Ask for an egg to be added into the soup for extra oomph.

•Follow Rebecca Lynne Tan on Twitter @STrebeccatan

BLOCK 58 LENGKOK BAHRU MINCED MEAT NOODLE

Block 58 Lengkok Bahru, open: 7am to about 2.30pm, closed on some Sundays.

http://ieatishootipost.sg/seng-hong-coffeeshop-a-blast-from-the-past/

And the coffee is good too..

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Twincharged

this is a bit out of the way ... but there is a new noodle stall at my workplace at ALPS cargo complex - just behind the changi cargo complex.

this area is semi-public and the canteen is in the first building after entering the area.

the new fish ball noodle stall is previously from toa payoh.

prices start from $3.00 also but the portioning is huge that sometimes I feel like telling the boss to give me less !!

they also have pork ribs noodles and handmade meatball noodles too !

so just in case anyone is sick of changi village food, can go a few extra km and try the noodles stall here.

and if noodle is not your cuppa, then go for the herbal chicken + rice for $4.50.

personally, its so far the best herbal chicken I have had and portioning is reasonable also.(do not forget to have the dark soya sauce along with the herbal chicken)

• Praise 3

Sadly in many countries, Macs is one of the cheapest options.

Not high in nutrition, but definitely high in caloric count. 

Hypersonic

most kopi tiam or hawker center usually can get chicken rice at $3.50, cai png 1 meat 2 vege also $3.50, noodles usually between $3-$3.50.  Those economic fried bee hoon some sell through lunch time, for $3.50 can get at least the bee hoon, 1 vege and 1 meat. Kopi or tea is under $1.50, unless you order the peng version mayb a little higher.

Complete meal under $5? Not so tough to find right?

Nice or not is up to individual liao. 

To get a nice complete mean under $5 is easy lah, but can it fill you up totally is another thing.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

When I eat out at kopi tiam or hawker center, very basic just to fill me up would cost 10 bucks or more.  [:p]

• Praise 1

the SATS canteen also not bad.

this is a bit out of the way ... but there is a new noodle stall at my workplace at ALPS cargo complex - just behind the changi cargo complex.

this area is semi-public and the canteen is in the first building after entering the area.

the new fish ball noodle stall is previously from toa payoh.

prices start from $3.00 also but the portioning is huge that sometimes I feel like telling the boss to give me less !!

they also have pork ribs noodles and handmade meatball noodles too !

so just in case anyone is sick of changi village food, can go a few extra km and try the noodles stall here.

and if noodle is not your cuppa, then go for the herbal chicken + rice for $4.50.

personally, its so far the best herbal chicken I have had and portioning is reasonable also.(do not forget to have the dark soya sauce along with the herbal chicken)

Hypersonic

lol not a bit. but very out of the way  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Lengkok baru where got out of the way, walking distance from Redhill MRT. If you drive, confirmed not out of the way lo.  [:p]

Hypersonic

Lengkok baru where got out of the way, walking distance from Redhill MRT. If you drive, confirmed not out of the way lo.  [:p]

you seriously dont read hor... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Hypersonic

put on uniform, book into any camp, cook house food is free and come complete with drinks, fruits and sometime got ice cream.  [:p]

SAF sld allow all NS men to go back for free SAF cook house food on SAF day.  [laugh]

Twincharged

lol not a bit. but very out of the way [laugh]

Just in case you bring your family to changi beach for some sun... On a weekday...

Turbocharged

old estates hawkers and coffeeshops, $5 is not really a challenge. The equivalent in town is a challenge.

• Praise 5

Twincharged
(edited)

put on uniform, book into any camp, cook house food is free and come complete with drinks, fruits and sometime got ice cream.  [:p]

SAF sld allow all NS men to go back for free SAF cook house food on SAF day.  [laugh]

last time when I do reservist, I will go to camp at 6pm for dinner at cookhouse before I start my shift at 8pm.

free food and quite good ... and being dinner, usually can help yourself also.

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

last time when I do reservist, I will go to camp at 6pm for dinner at cookhouse before I start my shift at 8pm.

free food and quite good ... and being dinner, usually can help yourself also.

You are very frugal, bro.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)

You are very frugal, bro.

since going to eat, might as well just eat free in camp ... just two hours ... no diff to me also.

but throughout the night will be very jialat ... stupid canteen all closed ... and the stupid night snack is crap also.

wait until morning then go for the crappy breakfast.

only thing good is the lunch and dinner.

also food prices in the canteen is also on par with outside coffee shop ... but food standard lose a lot to coffee shops.

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1