Pioneer AVH-Z9150BT

Reo

The Apple device is connected to the HU using Wifi.  This means you can't use the phone's wifi for any other connection.

However, that does not limit the use of 4G connection.  This is also how Spotify can work, streaming from data connection and "projected" to the HU.

Hi guys, can I check for Apple car play wireless.

If u connect to the HU via wifi, then your phone won’t be able to use internet data?

Back to my original question, has any one successfully setup Android Auto WIreless ?

I've just upgraded the phone to Android P (beta) but still no luck.  I read that Android P will allow phones other than Google to use the feature.

↡ Advertisement

I’m keen to upgrade my HU to this unit for my new ride. Am wondering if it’s worth it, or excessive for my usage.

I don’t intend to go into high end ICE. Will the HU make a big difference?

• Praise 2

You'll need to tell us more for us to help.

Like, what's the current setup, why are you looking at changing a HU, budget,....

I’m keen to upgrade my HU to this unit for my new ride. Am wondering if it’s worth it, or excessive for my usage.

I don’t intend to go into high end ICE. Will the HU make a big difference?

You'll need to tell us more for us to help.

Like, what's the current setup, why are you looking at changing a HU, budget,....

I intend to change out the stock HU in my new ride. Haven’t played with ICE as it’s my first new car.

I’m drawn to this HU for the wireless carplay function. Understand this is the top of the line unit.

Thereafter budget of maybe 1k for speakers amps woofers etc. I know this budget is small and will unlikely get a very good setup, so I’m wondering if this HU will be overkill for the speakers.

I do have a portable audiophile setup so there’s a certain sound signature I prefer. Hopefully it’s not too expensive to achieve

I supposed you're using Apple phone than Android.  What functionalities in the Carplay do you look for ?  I could hint some but would rather you tell us so that you think through.  For me, the stock HU has BT (which one does not have these days?), and I don't use messaging much nor voice search.  I use Spotify almost all the time and you don't need Carplay to use it, BT streaming from your phone should work.  Besides, Pioneer 9150 does not support Spotify Connect.  (Hmm... I did give some hints, didn't I?)

Apple Map is dodgy and Carplay does not support 3rd-party navigation, at least for now.  So, navigation is a big consideration.  This is why I started this thread asking about Android Auto Wireless, in addition to using Carplay.

Swapping for decent new amp, speakers and woofer for under 1k is definitely achievable, if you know where to buy online.  It's the (local) installation fee that's on the high side.  These components will definitely improve the sound quality, more so than just changing to a Pioneer HU only, assuming your stock speakers are cheapos.  

What the Pioneer HU will help, in addition to all the connectivity is to be able to tune the sound to your liking.  Speaker distance measurement, auto EQ, cross-over tuning, 13-band EQ....

What is portable audiophile setup ?

I intend to change out the stock HU in my new ride. Haven’t played with ICE as it’s my first new car.

I’m drawn to this HU for the wireless carplay function. Understand this is the top of the line unit.

Thereafter budget of maybe 1k for speakers amps woofers etc. I know this budget is small and will unlikely get a very good setup, so I’m wondering if this HU will be overkill for the speakers.

I do have a portable audiophile setup so there’s a certain sound signature I prefer. Hopefully it’s not too expensive to achieve

I supposed you're using Apple phone than Android. What functionalities in the Carplay do you look for ? I could hint some but would rather you tell us so that you think through. For me, the stock HU has BT (which one does not have these days?), and I don't use messaging much nor voice search. I use Spotify almost all the time and you don't need Carplay to use it, BT streaming from your phone should work. Besides, Pioneer 9150 does not support Spotify Connect. (Hmm... I did give some hints, didn't I?)

Apple Map is dodgy and Carplay does not support 3rd-party navigation, at least for now. So, navigation is a big consideration. This is why I started this thread asking about Android Auto Wireless, in addition to using Carplay.

Swapping for decent new amp, speakers and woofer for under 1k is definitely achievable, if you know where to buy online. It's the (local) installation fee that's on the high side. These components will definitely improve the sound quality, more so than just changing to a Pioneer HU only, assuming your stock speakers are cheapos.

What the Pioneer HU will help, in addition to all the connectivity is to be able to tune the sound to your liking. Speaker distance measurement, auto EQ, cross-over tuning, 13-band EQ....

What is portable audiophile setup ?

Yup. Using iphone currently. I’m using Google maps for navigation now. Understand Apple will allow Google maps in the next iOS. Hopefully it works.

Speakers and amps and tuning are a whole new world for me. So I intend to go to an audio shop to audition and install. Don’t plan to upgrade in future.

I’m currently using a dedicated portable high res music player and custom earphones for my portable setup. So I’m trying to replicate the same sound signature in my car

If you're only using iPhone, I think other Pioneer models lower than 9150 can support Carplay.  You can save up a lot more bucks to go into other upgrades.

Anyways, what a sad realisation that not even 9150 can support AA WIreless as it's locked by Google for use in SG.

So for those who are looking at 9150 (and lucky to be following this thread [:p] , you might want to consider the lower model.

Good luck for your hunt.

Yup. Using iphone currently. I’m using Google maps for navigation now. Understand Apple will allow Google maps in the next iOS. Hopefully it works.

Speakers and amps and tuning are a whole new world for me. So I intend to go to an audio shop to audition and install. Don’t plan to upgrade in future.

I’m currently using a dedicated portable high res music player and custom earphones for my portable setup. So I’m trying to replicate the same sound signature in my car

If you're only using iPhone, I think other Pioneer models lower than 9150 can support Carplay.  You can save up a lot more bucks to go into other upgrades.

Anyways, what a sad realisation that not even 9150 can support AA WIreless as it's locked by Google for use in SG.

So for those who are looking at 9150 (and lucky to be following this thread [:p] , you might want to consider the lower model.

Good luck for your hunt.

Oh wow! So AA Wireless is not supported for this model? I wanted to get this model to 'futureproof' in case I jump ship to Android phones in future. Seems like I can save the money now. 

Thanks!

Is AVH-Z5150BT good enough?

Only you know you requirement and only you can answer that.

It is a pretty decent HU, and is definitely better than stock. It is considered the upper mid tier (I think) of the pioneer HU. I myself is using the earlier version 5050BT

Is AVH-Z5150BT good enough?

5150BT has a single USB port and no SD card slot. 9150BT has 2 USB ports and SD card slot.

5150BT does not have wireless Carplay support. Phone has to be plugged in. 9150BT has wireless Carplay support.

Other than the above 2 functional difference, maybe the bros here can chip in on the SQ difference, if any?

5150BT has a single USB port and no SD card slot. 9150BT has 2 USB ports and SD card slot.

5150BT does not have wireless Carplay support. Phone has to be plugged in. 9150BT has wireless Carplay support.

Other than the above 2 functional difference, maybe the bros here can chip in on the SQ difference, if any?

the difference between these 2 models would be marginal. A more signficant difference would be heard if yiu can change to HU with optical outputs.
  • Praise 1

It's rather strange for 9150, the 2 USB have dedicated purposes.  USB1 for iPhone and USB2 for Android - they are not interchangeable.  Both USBs can be used for USB storage. 

If the only USB of 5150 can be used for both iOS and Android, it's not a big big minus, than 9150.

What's the price differential of 9150 vs 5150 ?  Wireless is a big deal to me, but unfortunately can't use it for Android (yet). 

Is optical output useful only when a separate processor is installed and which accepts optical input ?

A more signficant difference would be heard if yiu can change to HU with optical outputs.

• Praise 1

Optical output..... The hole is getting bigger. Yes, you need a processor that accept optical inputs with integrated Dac. Optical output provides only digital data (of your music) and needs to be converted to analogue signals.

im sorry to hijack this post but i thought it could be relevant to ask you or any other gurus here;

I just had my 8850 installed. I connected my iphone 8 to my Pioneer 8850 and can use the Carplay with no issues. But how to ensure it auto connect back after i restart my car again? It cant auto detect. Or did i do or not do something in setting?

BTW my phone is 24/7 connected to the cable unless i want to remove it out to download new music at home.

As my iphone has no sim card (using it for purely car usage and Carplay) and i use wifi (hotspot from main phone) is there a way to let my Car iphone auto connect to my main phone whenever i enter my car or start the power?

Please advise.

TIA

Wireless Mirrorring is not AA, its just like Miracast..

I didnt use cable for setup, in fact, there is not much to setup, just select to "smartview" from my S7, and it'll scan for available display, in this case, AVH-Z9150BT is the display.

regarding the BT,

if you see Pioneer site, they advertise the unit as capable to handle 2 different BT phone at the same time.

https://www.pioneer.com.au/shop/car/multimedia-av/avh-z9150bt/

DUAL BLUETOOTH
Simultaneously connect and control 2 x smartphones via Bluetooth. The auto connection function automatically pairs the two phone so incoming calls can be picked up by either of the paired phones.

but based on what i tried, and also what you described, seems like it can only connect to one phone at a time.

DUAL BLUETOOTH

Simultaneously connect and control 2 x smartphones via Bluetooth. The auto connection function automatically pairs the two phone so incoming calls can be picked up by either of the paired phones.

• Praise 1

My setup is connected to CarPlay Wireless.  It will resume connection and play automatically every time.

I'll need a wired setup to know how my 9150 will work - I supposed it should re-connect automatically too.  Will post back when I've done.

im sorry to hijack this post but i thought it could be relevant to ask you or any other gurus here;

I just had my 8850 installed. I connected my iphone 8 to my Pioneer 8850 and can use the Carplay with no issues. But how to ensure it auto connect back after i restart my car again? It cant auto detect. Or did i do or not do something in setting?

Good luck for your hunt.

Sorry, I'm confused. It doesn't support Android Auto altogether?  Or wireless Android Auto?  Or is it not supported on your phone , or because it is not available in Play store?

Edited by Browser
  • Praise 1

Installing AA ion phone s simple, just download APK to go around Google not making it available to SG.

AA wired, no problem

AA Wireless, 9150 supports but was told (by Pioneer) during connection, Google detected in SG and refused to connect.   If this is true,  I'm rather surprised Google not displaying a message saying country not available.

Sorry, I'm confused. It doesn't support Android Auto altogether?  Or wireless Android Auto?  Or is it not supported on your phone , or because it is not available in Play store?

↡ Advertisement