My 3 days with a VW Golf GTI

Adrianli

Supersonic

Haha, a funny review indeed.

He gave up driving manual transmission.

And u don’t hear him going “i heard hor, ppl say hor, DSG hor, got porbrem one. Better stick to CVT coz hor, my unker’s grandmarder hor, say her auntie’s jap car hor, belly reliables one”
↡ Advertisement

I would say the only bad stuff of buying a VW is the service/maintenance provided by VW. Some of the PDI done by them can go horribly wrong as well as in this case.

http://www.vagsg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1634879&highlight=robin#post1634879

Unfortunately, this morning when I was setting all the destinations in the GPS, after a while in the car with the engine off, the meters decided to blink and have a ticking sound. I tried to start up the engine but had some difficulty. When I shutdown and tried to start up again, had trouble and the steering locked. Finally I managed to start up again but could not drive off. After that shutdown and tried again. This time can't even start up no matter what. Suspected to be battery low.

Called the SE, he advised call service van. Came one hour later and tested battery, was showing good voltage. Nevertheless tried to jump start, no go. Guy said confirmed not battery issue, suspect software issue. Another hour later, the tow truck came and tow back to workshop. Got a loaner Tiguan 2.0. No idea when they can fix it.

Really sucks. Second day only car die. I'm getting nightmares of my previous GTI 16 years ago, which was in and out of workshop 19 times in 1 year. Hopefully after fixing it will be fine. When I decided to go back to VW again, I was mentally prepared. I really dislike my love hat relationship with VW. I love the car when it works, but hate it when it breaks down for no apparent reason. But my standard set is 3 strikes and its out. Meaning, if within one year have to go back workshop for problems other than servicing, I am destined not to have a VW. It will be back to Japanese cars forever. 

Super Sian. Super pissed.

VW service recovery sometimes are quite good depending on what you bought.

The owner subsequently bought another new FL Golf 7.5 R at a wonderful price.

[thumbsup]  

• Praise 1

Good review!

My only other question - is Amanda pretty?

your insurance agent pretty or not ?  :D  skirt short short ? intro ? 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Gti well suited for our environment. Comfort with occasional fun when condition is right aka 99 bends south buono vista rd. Being a hatch, pretty practical too. After i switch to a hatch, tight carparks are less stressful for me.

Dun really agree that GTI is well suited for SG roads. It's too powerful to drive without constraint and not very fuel efficient cos 2.0 turbo. It will be more suitable for MY highway roads though.

I felt in SG road a car with around 120bhp per tonne (I meant power to weight ratio) will be most optimum to drive with pleasure with relative ease.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 1

your insurance agent pretty or not ? :D skirt short short ? intro ?

Chio, and most importantly just finalised her divorce after a very unhappy marriage.
  • Praise 3

Dun really agree that GTI is well suited for SG roads. It's too powerful to drive without constraint and not very fuel efficient cos 2.0 turbo. It will be more suitable for MY highway roads though.

I felt in SG road a car with around 120bhp per tonne (I meant power to weight ratio) will be most optimum to drive with pleasure with relative ease.

Looks like Suzuki Swift Sport is also too powderful.

Supersonic

Chio, and most importantly just finalised her divorce after a very unhappy marriage.

you sound like you want to go for her

Turbocharged
(edited)

Looks like Suzuki Swift Sport is also too powderful.

[laugh] Why suddenly talk about Swift Sport?

Anyway It true, I feel that my current Forester XT need to have alot of self-restraint that it's frustrating at times. Only can hold-no-bars driving in NSHW.

Whereas my previous Colt Version R, although less powerful, is more in tuned to SG/City traffic.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 1

[laugh] Why suddenly talk about Swift Sport?

Anyway It true, I feel that my current Forester XT need to have alot of self-restraint that it's frustrating at times. Only can hold-no-bars driving in NSHW.

Whereas my previous Colt Version R, although less powerful, is more in tuned to SG/City traffic.

I believe all inner city in the world has the same frus

I say it with all sincerity and I will say it no more.

THERE is NO issue with WET DSG.

Having say that, there will be one or two that may fail out of many units in Singapore. But far fewer and very rare occurrence.

Almost to the point of really sway, than a wet DSG with NO mod up lorry.

So there is NO issue to begin with wet DSG unless you trying to stirr...

My mileage already 150K and running on stage 1 from the start. Couple of things broke and replaced LOL... But the damn gearbox refused to break. Clutch still swee swee no run water. Maybe I'm just a tame driver.

Don't need to be so frustrated with stirrers lah bro... Ppl stir for fun, not for facts.

• Praise 1

My mileage already 150K and running on stage 1 from the start. Couple of things broke and replaced LOL... But the damn gearbox refused to break. Clutch still swee swee no run water. Maybe I'm just a tame driver.

Don't need to be so frustrated with stirrers lah bro... Ppl stir for fun, not for facts.

yup.. there will be stuff that will break. Especially the Coolant expansion tank. the thermostat and the water pump. At a low 20K limit no less. I suspect there is a TSB. But lately, those information seems rather unattainable.

Other than that, the car is quite a joy to drive on the Mk7 and Mk7.5

Having say that, there will be one or two that may fail out of many units in Singapore. But far fewer and very rare occurrence.

Pretty sure someone will comment 'you sure its wet clutch not? Confirm not dry?'

I would say the only bad stuff of buying a VW is the service/maintenance provided by VW. Some of the PDI done by them can go horribly wrong as well as in this case.

http://www.vagsg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1634879&highlight=robin#post1634879

Unfortunately, this morning when I was setting all the destinations in the GPS, after a while in the car with the engine off, the meters decided to blink and have a ticking sound. I tried to start up the engine but had some difficulty. When I shutdown and tried to start up again, had trouble and the steering locked. Finally I managed to start up again but could not drive off. After that shutdown and tried again. This time can't even start up no matter what. Suspected to be battery low.

Called the SE, he advised call service van. Came one hour later and tested battery, was showing good voltage. Nevertheless tried to jump start, no go. Guy said confirmed not battery issue, suspect software issue. Another hour later, the tow truck came and tow back to workshop. Got a loaner Tiguan 2.0. No idea when they can fix it.

Really sucks. Second day only car die. I'm getting nightmares of my previous GTI 16 years ago, which was in and out of workshop 19 times in 1 year. Hopefully after fixing it will be fine. When I decided to go back to VW again, I was mentally prepared. I really dislike my love hat relationship with VW. I love the car when it works, but hate it when it breaks down for no apparent reason. But my standard set is 3 strikes and its out. Meaning, if within one year have to go back workshop for problems other than servicing, I am destined not to have a VW. It will be back to Japanese cars forever.

Super Sian. Super pissed.

VW service recovery sometimes are quite good depending on what you bought.

The owner subsequently bought another new FL Golf 7.5 R at a wonderful price.

[thumbsup]

Looks like you're reallt sway but keep the updates coming.

Supersonic

yup.. there will be stuff that will break. Especially the Coolant expansion tank. the thermostat and the water pump. At a low 20K limit no less. I suspect there is a TSB. But lately, those information seems rather unattainable.

Other than that, the car is quite a joy to drive on the Mk7 and Mk7.5

For a hot hatch, consider pretty reliable liao

the part that breaks for a dry dsg is the clutch. actually, it's just worn out. 

there r pros and cons to both wet and dry. wet is obviously more lasting, however, it cost more upfront. 

woah didn't know got such nice contest in this forum, should have joined earlier!!

would be nice to get to drive certain cars over a weekend especially if looking for cars.

US have dealers that allowed potential buyers to loan the car over the weekends to test if the cars suits the lifestyle and family..
SGP buying is based on 1 or 2 test drives(10-15 mins ) to decide.

harley does allow their bikes for longer test rides.

actually if AD allows rental, I don't mind pay rental for cars that i have interest in buying to test the car if its suitable for my lifestyle before committing to the car.

woah didn't know got such nice contest in this forum, should have joined earlier!!

would be nice to get to drive certain cars over a weekend especially if looking for cars.

US have dealers that allowed potential buyers to loan the car over the weekends to test if the cars suits the lifestyle and family..

SGP buying is based on 1 or 2 test drives(10-15 mins ) to decide.

harley does allow their bikes for longer test rides.

actually if AD allows rental, I don't mind pay rental for cars that i have interest in buying to test the car if its suitable for my lifestyle before committing to the car.

https://www.sg.audiondemand.com/audi-mobility/audi-on-demand/sg_en.html

What a waste of not testing the turbo response on full rpm range. Many years back test drove the golf GTI , it is hyper active at low rpm range, very fun to drive on Street start stop traffic.

However the power band fall short at very low rpm, beyond 4500rpm, it is just flat out. A tad too early to run out of steam.

↡ Advertisement