Ben Davis not allowed to defer NS for Fulham stint

Zxcvb

He can enlist in NS, gets trained and represent SAFSA for soccer first. Time not wasted.

With all due respect, being trained by SAFSA v being trained by Fulham and not to mention exposure in a more competitive League is like Heaven n Earth!

I respect MINDEF’s decision but you cant have your cake and eat it, if priority is given to NS then sad to say we will lose some of our more talented local sporting talents and any dreams of putting Singapore on the World sporting map will unlikely materialise if ever at all and that is a fact of the matter.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

Maybe become a UK citizen instead if he still wants to continue his dreams there?

too late liao. still need to serve NS. unless he AWOL and never come back.

i guess Ben Davis will not be able to meet the conditions for NS deferment?...

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ng-eng-hen-schooling-can-continue-ns-deferment-if-he-continues-to-meet-conditions

The conditions are apparently possibility of winning a medal at International events but these are for sports which can be measured n likely individual sports. Football and most team sports can’t be measured in this manner, so means sportsmen in these sports can’t be deferred?

Not so clear cut as what Ng Eng Hen says. I would form a committee to look into NS deferment possibly 3-5men who are good arbiters of Sports and definitely 1-2 in the particular Sport the appellant is in. Representing your country is a form of NS in itself though not from a security defence point of view. I feel the authorities have to seriously ponder over this as it is quite obvious we do not have to sporting culture and never will have if we continue to have this kind of mindset.........

• Praise 6

Supersonic

The conditions are apparently possibility of winning a medal at International events but these are for sports which can be measured n likely individual sports. Football and most team sports can’t be measured in this manner, so means sportsmen in these sports can’t be deferred?

Not so clear cut as what Ng Eng Hen says. I would form a committee to look into NS deferment possibly 3-5men who are good arbiters of Sports and definitely 1-2 in the particular Sport the appellant is in. Representing your country is a form of NS in itself though not from a security defence point of view. I feel the authorities have to seriously ponder over this as it is quite obvious we do not have to sporting culture and never will have if we continue to have this kind of mindset.........

agreed, but i guess our garment does not want to set too many precedents on NS deferment... err on the side of caution, sporting success is not so important (to the garment)...
  • Praise 2

agreed, but i guess our garment does not want to set too many precedents on NS deferment... err on the side of caution, sporting success is not so important (to the garment)...

I can understand that govt doesn’t want to set too many precedents on NS deferment but a neutral committee comprising sports experts can come to a unanimous decision on each appeal on its own merits and I believe no Singaporean can complain about this if a decision is made in favour of a deferment. After all, should the appellant not reach the standards required to be a sporting success and calls it a day later, he would be obliged to serve NS so not as if we are exempting him altogether.

As for total exemption like in the case of Son Heung Min of Korea, that is an entirely different matter altogether which can be addressed at a later stage when I hope that we will be able to produce that kind of talent one day. But as things stand now, we are not even supportive of potential sporting talent even at its infancy stages so let’s cross the bridge one step at a time. Over to the government..........

• Praise 9

Turbocharged
(edited)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Davis_%28footballer%29?wprov=sfla1

hopefully SG quickly gives him his 1st full cap so that he cannot rep England or Thailand ðð

should he serve NS? what do you guys think?

The boy has a british father and thai mother and born in thailand, but for some reasons best known to him or his parents, come to SG at age 5 and become citizen.

I think he already made a wrong career move at age 5 ... [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 5

The boy has a british father and thai mother and born in thailand, but for some reasons best known to him or his parents, come to SG at age 5 and become citizen.

I think he already made a wrong career move at age 5 ... [laugh]

In that case it only makes sense to go back to HMS.

I would if i were him.

No brainer.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

How to serve NS when he has to train to become the first 11 in a renowned international club player?? Even defer can defer how long? Until 30?

Not impossible. In his 30s he can go join up the folks at safvc to complete his obligation. Probably many are in that age range, being volunteers later in life.

Edited by Sosaria

(edited)

If I’m the father, I will jitao apply British PR for my son since my gobernment is so anal abt NS..

Anyway, his other son already served NS..So bo kiam li you lei..

Screw the inflexible MINDEF deep deep..i really dun know wtf r they thinking???Dun wan to dwell on...FFS , it’s EPL n not those fxxk type football league.. really kknbaccb

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 6

Just to let you guys know, no more S-League and SAFSA. Its Singapore Premier League and Warriors FC.

Same cook but different soup.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

If Iâm the father, I will jitao apply British PR for my son since my gobernment is so anal abt NS..

Screw the inflexible MINDEF deep deep..i really dun know wtf r they thinking???Dun wan to dwell on...FFS , itâs EPL n not those fxxk type football league.. really kknbaccb

really hope garment can reconsider this case... arguably EPL has more overall exposure than Olympics (once every 4 years)... Edited by kdash

Supersonic

really hope garment can reconsider this case... arguably EPL has more overall exposure than Olympics (once every 4 years)...

If they are really bothered...

This is already not the first case.

no deferment is abit tough.

but all guys got 2 b--- n 1 d---.

as long as its fair n square treatment for every 1, no rich or watever colour horse escape or given special treatment.

i am fine with it , 

we need to measure sport shitty vs national security.

this is personal interest vs SG interest liao lo... garment has to weigh the potential of sporting success and publicity for SG if Davis is successful in EPL, vs conditions for NS deferment and whether justified or not.

another current example is Son from Spurs. shall wait and see what the Korean garment will do...

https://talksport.com/football/352149/tottenham-hotspur-news-does-spurs-heung-min-son-have-complete-national-service-south-korea/

Realistically.. Singapore.. meaning the govt.. will immediately sacrifice his or any of our interest at the blink of an eye to benefit itself too.

He go ns salute halimah?? Sorry.. I would never sacrifice my child's interest this way lor...

Not impossible. In his 30s he can go join up the folks at safvc to complete his obligation. Probably many are in that age range, being volunteers later in life.

Think that's actually a reserved privilege for FTs .. they never gonna allow locals

If Iâm the father, I will jitao apply British PR for my son since my gobernment is so anal abt NS..

Screw the inflexible MINDEF deep deep..i really dun know wtf r they thinking???Dun wan to dwell on...FFS , itâs EPL n not those fxxk type football league.. really kknbaccb

If only he studied defence science...

If his father was .. aiya... Born wrong family lor..

With the right father.. probably defer four five world cup also can due to extraordinary circumstances

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/singapore-ben-davis-signs-professional-deal-fulham-football-10528674

https://mothership.sg/2018/07/ben-davis-singaporean-footballer-fulham/

Singapore's Ben Davis signs professional deal with newly promoted Premier League club Fulham.

SINGAPORE: Singaporean footballer Benjamin Davis has signed the first professional deal of his career with newly promoted Premier League club Fulham FC. 

Benjamin, 17, joined Fulham on a two-year scholarship deal in July last year. 

However, his performances for the Fulham Under-18 side were so impressive that the club decided to hand him a new deal. 

He is the first Singaporean to sign a professional contract with a top-tier English club. 

In an announcement on the club website on Friday (Jul 13), Fulham said that the midfielder "accrued a pass accuracy of over 90 per cent" for the U-18s. 

"I was so happy and then excited. I really didn't expect it as I am still in the first year of my two-year scholarship deal although I did have a good second half of the season," the teenager said of his reaction when he learned that the club was offering him a deal. 

"I will enjoy the achievement and success so far, but now it gives me the motivation, drive and desire to push on to achieve the ultimate goal of playing in the Fulham first team in the Premier League." 

Benjamin said his immediate goals are to establish himself as a regular for the U-18 and U-23 team, and push himself to earn a call-up to train with the senior team. 

The former Singapore Sports School student is also yearning for his first full international cap, having already earned a call-upto the Singapore national team earlier in the year.  

Harvey Davis, Benjamin's father, said that he is "proud" of his son's achievements.

He told Channel NewsAsia: "It's fantastic news for Singapore football ... It shows that Singapore can produce footballers who can play at the highest level in the UK.

"He did very well in the second half of last season which led to him being called up for the U-23s.

"It's amazing for Ben to achieve a pro contract only after 12 months of his scholarship. I'm happy he has achieved this and potentially go on and play in the Premier League," the senior Davis added.

continue here.

started a new thread on this

• Praise 2

Too many evil serpents here who can only think by the book, by the rules, it is all about checking off the boxes and dusting off your hands and give yourself a pat on the back that the job is done and he served as he is supposed to.

Too nearsighted to see beyond the tip of your own nose that to make him serve is to add just one more pair of boots among boots, chiong sua-ing like Joe Average. To serve is to miss out on the fundamental years that make a footballer’s career.

Schooling had to go through it the hard way, he and his family had even to weather queries if he was “true-blue” Singaporean due to his surname. He received little support before he made it big and now he is claimed as a national treasure.

You’d think people and policy would learn and adapt but it’s the same debacle all over again. Davis might have fizzled, he might make it big and galvanize an entire nation to believe again. But MINDEF could have done better than just issue an outright rejection, by offering performance targets to sustain any NS deferment deal.

(edited)

How come Fandi Ahmad's 3 sons can study overseas, do football and come back do NS w/o kicking up so much fuss ah?

AMDK is it? [laugh]

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1